PDA

View Full Version : Abbotsford-cultus lake -Chilliwack area for bear

ratherbefishin
05-06-2009, 08:44 AM
My son lives in Yarrow-wondering about where a place we could go for a nice bear in that area.[the definition of a ''nice bear'' being bears on logging roads or uphill from logging roads]

weatherby_man
05-06-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure about Cultus but theres lots of black bear around Jones lake which isnt too far from there.

Steeleco
05-06-2009, 09:09 AM
There's one brute in behind Jones that's leaving 6" wide foot prints. Tracked him a while back till he climbed a cliff and left me stumped!!

FlyingHigh
05-06-2009, 10:12 AM
jones lake eh? i've been up that way a few times. i'll have to give it a try. :)

Camp Cook
05-06-2009, 12:07 PM
I've heard of lots of guys getting good bears in the Jones Lake area.

Myself I go a little further behind Hunter Creek weigh scale is a road that heads up into some nice area or go a bit further up the Coquihalla Hwy or the Canyon Hwy.

There is still a bit to much snow to get very high though.

A buddy of mine got a nice bear last week right on the snow line off the Canyon Hwy.

edit to add: up the Harrison (either side) and Chihalis are also good areas for bear.

Wild one
05-06-2009, 12:07 PM
I was told that the road up to Jones was washed out so you may want a back up plan.I do see more and bigger bears in the Skagit but the big guys are a little harder to find. If he wants a big one he might be better off heading farther to an area that has less people as the lower mainland is a gong show most of the time.

FlyingHigh
05-06-2009, 01:24 PM
the main road up to jones lake is ok. the road that travels around the side is blocked about 3/4 of the way down the lake. there's another road that heads up into a side valley, with lots of drainage ditches across it, that is washed out a few kms up. those are the only roads i've gone up.

mud-dog27
05-06-2009, 02:56 PM
the main road up to jones lake is ok. the road that travels around the side is blocked about 3/4 of the way down the lake. there's another road that heads up into a side valley, with lots of drainage ditches across it, that is washed out a few kms up. those are the only roads i've gone up.

have you been up this year cause i also heard the roads washed out but i havent been able to go check it out cause of ear surgury and no one has a straight answer

i assume the road thats blocked 3/4 up (gated) is the west side?

the road with the side valley is the left fork off main road on the east side just before the campsites that just goes to clear cuts

only thing i want to know is CAN you get to the lake?

back on topic you could head up chipmunk/foley creek area ive seen some nice ones up there more so then ive seen at jones although ive seen a few good ones at jones just never had a gun when i did

TIKA 300
05-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Look up Chilliwack Forest District,look on left side panel,go to Forest Service Roads,than on the right it will come up Forest Service Road Conditions And Closures. I just checked,nothing about Jones being washed out......:cool:

PH7
05-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Jones lake main is washed out, almost at the lake. Judging by the size of it, probably won't be fixed for a while.

martyonthewater
05-06-2009, 09:40 PM
foley and chipmunk is crawling with quaders/dirtbikers so you really need to be willing to hoof it away from the roads and trails. there is definately some good sized bears in there but not what you would call 'nice'

ElectricDyck
05-07-2009, 06:10 AM
Getting out during the week is key if your staying local.

FlyingHigh
05-07-2009, 05:04 PM
have you been up this year cause i also heard the roads washed out but i havent been able to go check it out cause of ear surgury and no one has a straight answer

i assume the road thats blocked 3/4 up (gated) is the west side?

the road with the side valley is the left fork off main road on the east side just before the campsites that just goes to clear cuts

only thing i want to know is CAN you get to the lake?

back on topic you could head up chipmunk/foley creek area ive seen some nice ones up there more so then ive seen at jones although ive seen a few good ones at jones just never had a gun when i did

i was up before christmas if i remember right. that one side road has been washed out for a couple years now. not sure about the main. i haven't been up lately.

mud-dog27
05-07-2009, 05:12 PM
i was up before christmas if i remember right. that one side road has been washed out for a couple years now. not sure about the main. i haven't been up lately.

yea the side road up (?) creek road has been cross ditched and washed out for a while but it goes now where so no big loss fun drive though

Camp Cook
05-07-2009, 10:45 PM
I went into Dewdney Creek this evening saw one small black bear @ about 50 yards and 3 blacktail deer.

The road where the slide comes down every year has some big rocks across it so without a lot of work you cannot get thru.

FlyingHigh
05-08-2009, 09:35 AM
yea the side road up (?) creek road has been cross ditched and washed out for a while but it goes now where so no big loss fun drive though

yeah, that's the one i'm talking about. my friends and i go up there to plink with the guns when we camp at the lake. i've always wondered what was beyond the washout.

i haven't really explored anymore of the side roads, other than the main ones. i'm going to have to get up there and burn some gas later this year.