PDA

View Full Version : stone sheep

270WIN
05-05-2009, 11:04 PM
well do to work being a little slow this year and that i am expecting my third child in october I have to put off my fly in sheep trip for one more year. that 3 years i have been puting it off do to either illness or finances and well seem like i cant find a partner to fly in with me.

I was looking at some of my map books today and found a place that might intrest me and a few buddies if we go up well moose is open. I was thinking of driving up to buckinghorse more excact nevis creek just north of pink mountain in region 7-42 and drive in to were we are aloud to or can get are truck to and hike in from there and try are luck. has any one hunted this area for stones and how did you make out. or does any one have suggestion for the area

jml11
05-06-2009, 07:51 AM
well do to work being a little slow this year and that i am expecting my third child in october I have to put off my fly in sheep trip for one more year. that 3 years i have been puting it off do to either illness or finances and well seem like i cant find a partner to fly in with me.

I was looking at some of my map books today and found a place that might intrest me and a few buddies if we go up well moose is open. I was thinking of driving up to buckinghorse more excact nevis creek just north of pink mountain in region 7-42 and drive in to were we are aloud to or can get are truck to and hike in from there and try are luck. has any one hunted this area for stones and how did you make out. or does any one have suggestion for the area

If you have an ATV you can quad in on the old road, all the way to Redfern Lake if you like. Otherwise you are looking at a 25km hike to get to Nevis Camp, which is were the sheep start. You will know you are there as this were a bunch of other resident hunters will be. You can even rent cabins here if you like. The easy access makes it a busy place.

I've been told the moose don't show in numbers until later in the year (october) but you still may find one or two in August. The big sheep rush is at the start of August and usually any legal rams on Luckhurst or Little Ram mountains are picked off opening day. I don't know what the pressure would be like mid to late august. Usually there is only one legal ram in the band and sometimes there are none. The year before I was in there the packer at Nevis Camp told me it was a mad dash up the moutain on August 1 to get to the one mature ram and due to the race, the first guys up didn't have enough time to judge the ram properly before shooting and turns out it was short...and in front of all those others hutners...no way of hiding that...

The sheep numbers in that area are quite low now, I think you would be better off hiking in off the highway north of Ft. Nelson. Just my opinion though.

bridger
05-06-2009, 08:04 AM
I have hunted that area a lot in the past. there haven't been many sheep in nevis creek for many years now and even in the good old days the best hunting along the nevis valley was late in the season. a long shot now at best. The best way to go sheep hunting is to go while you are young and tough enough to get to the top of the mnt. In my experience if you wait until the stars are aligned you will find that the sun is setting. good luck

Devilbear
05-06-2009, 08:12 AM
That is SO true of ALL mountain recreation, the damm hills just get steeper every year. But, with today's superb light gear and desire, an old guy can still TRY and enjoy the beauty of the alpine, even if you never do get a legal ram.

I enjoy being in the mountains and consider any game I shoot to be just a bonus and the trip itself is my real "reward" for the sweat and groaning I put into it.

brno375
05-06-2009, 11:24 AM
if you wait until the stars are aligned you will find that the sun is setting Well put.

270: the only thing stopping you, is you. Go for it.