PDA

View Full Version : First Black Bear Success

Grumpa Joe
05-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Well I finally got myself a bear. After trying for the past two hunting seasons I got lucky this past Monday. My partner and I left on Sunday for a trip up the Fraser Canyon. We scouted a couple of roads in the Boston Bar area hoping to find some sign that the critters are out. We saw over a dozen grouse and heard many more drumming in the trees as well as 18 deer. However, there was only one pile of bear scat to be found and no sign of any movement. We did find that East Anderson Creek has had some major rock slides up around the 18K mark. It was a fantastic day weather wise so we didn't mind not seeing any blackies as we worked our way up toward Spence's Bridge. We decided to cut across towards Merritt and took the Pemainus FSR to take in some more scenery. Still lots of deer below 3,000 feet but no bears. Eventually made our way into Merritt and stayed there overnight. In the morning went North to check on some lakes for ice-off and decided to head down the Coquihalla to see what the roads looked like down there. Tulameen/Lawless is still covered in quite a bit of snowso we continued on. as we were running out of time we picked one of the FSRs at the bottom of the snowshed and went for our exploration. Just a few Ks off Hwy 5 we started to see a lot of bear sign. we proceeded on scanning as we went and there down a small skidder trail in a clearing we see a bear grazing. Stop the Jeep and out I get to have a closer look. My friend gets out his side and as I get the binos his door makes a loud thud and the bear bails over the edge into a thicket. At this point we decide to park the vehicle and go for a walk up the road hoping that if we don't push it that the bear will come back out. Walked for about 40 minutes up and back and sure enough there it is. The wind had been in our favour coming back down until we rounded the last corner when it switched on us. We snuck into position using what cover we had and set up. As I was bracing up for the shot the bear starts sniffing the air and looking around. Too late. the Federal 180gr MRX hit just behind the right front shoulder and as I found out later exited the same place on the other side. This round is really amazing. On the 2 animals I have shot with it at 150 and 100 yards I have had clean pass through bang flops with very little fur damage. It dropped immediately rolling down a small hill, twitched a bit and lay still. After about 20 minutes we made our way down to my prize , lugged it up the hill, gutted it and made our way back home. During the gutting my friend decided to test his Gerber on his own finger and ended up with a pretty serious gash. With all the excitement I didn't have a chance to snap any pictures so I'll post a few photos of the cape in the next day or so. Truly a great couple of days with my buddy, some great weather and a trophy to boot.

Thanks for reading.

Frontier

PressurePoint
05-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Sounds like a sweet afternoon. Cant wait to see that skin!

Mik
05-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Congrats on the bear. Was he big?

hunter1947
05-06-2009, 03:01 AM
Good for you on getting your first bear ,congrats to you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

riflebuilder
05-06-2009, 06:01 AM
congrats on your bear.

Summit 512
05-06-2009, 06:25 AM
Sounds like you had a fun day,congratulations on your first bear.

05-06-2009, 06:45 AM
Always nice to get your 1st critter behind you, congrats, the hope area has a ton of bears, always has.
CT

Dirty
05-06-2009, 07:11 AM
How big was it?

sneg
05-06-2009, 07:45 AM
nice.Congrads on good job.

vanislehunter1
05-06-2009, 08:33 AM
During the gutting my friend decided to test his Gerber on his own finger and ended up with a pretty serious gash. Haha, I ended up doing that TWICE when I was moose hunting. First moose, I was excited:mrgreen: Good job also.

longhairmtnman
05-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Nice to have one at last. Lets have some pictures. Big or small, first one is always a trophy!

Montana

Grumpa Joe
05-08-2009, 07:36 PM
I finally managed to get some time to post some pictures in my gallery of my first bear. I also managed to get a size on it at 5'1" . If I'm not mistaken it's nose to tail plus claw tip to claw tip divided by two. If I am mistaken someone please let me know. Montana, my friend with the wayward knife is Patrick's dad. How is the .243 doing by the way?

Frontier

300H&H
05-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Congrats. A black bear was my first big game animal.

twoSevenO
05-09-2009, 10:15 PM
nice story man. Sounds like you two did quite a bit of driving, but glad it paid off for you!!!!!

Johnnybear
05-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Great story and congrats big time. Thank you for sharing. Hope your buddy's finger heels up:-P.

ohno
05-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Congrats on your bear.

leadpillproductions
05-10-2009, 01:37 PM
great story congrads on the bear