PDA

View Full Version : Elk Tenderloin Wellingtons

bigwhiteys
05-05-2009, 09:43 PM
My wife saw a show on the Food Network where the chef prepared a dish that’s known as Beef Wellington. It’s a tenderloin, lightly seared, then coated with a mushroom/herb mixture and wrapped in puff pastry. Throw it in the oven for 25 minutes and you’ve got a meal fit for a king.

I went through a few different recipes online and came up with my own variation. They turn out amazing everytime.

Ingredient List

- 4 Elk/Moose/Deer Tenderloins Cut About 1.5-2″ thick.
- Several Cloves Of Garlic
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
- Fresh Tyme
- Fresh Rosemary
- Fresh Parsley
- 6-10 White Mushrooms
- 2 Large Portabella Mushrooms
- 10+ average sized Shitake Mushrooms
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions
- Butter
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- rock salt (optional)
- 1 package puff pastry (2 squares you roll out)
- 1 package “hunter” gravy (optional)

Step #1 Prep The Tenderloins.

Pour about 1 tablesoon of olive oil onto a plate, then crush the garlic, chop sprinkle some rosemary and then sprinkle some salt and crush a bunch of pepper over it to taste. Stir the pasty mixture around some and then coat your tenderloins with it.

Sear your tenderloins on each side for 1 or 2 minutes or until they are nice and brown and the paste we made has cooked into a sort of crust. Remove the steaks from heat, place on a plate and into the fridge to cool… We are done with them for now.

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/wellington1.jpg

Step #2 Prepare The Mushroom Mixture.

Take all of your mushrooms and dice them really fine, I like to use a braun food processor for this as it’s nice and fast. Once you’ve got the mushrooms diced place them in a bowl and set aside.

Now you need to cut up your Green Onions, Crush another Clove or Two of Garlic, and Finely chop up some more of your rosemary,thyme and parsley. Melt some butter in a pan and stir fry the whole works…

Cook it until the mixture is really soft and most of the moisture has been cooked off. Then take away from heat and spread the mixture out in your pan so it can cool... You need it to cool completely.

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/wellington2.jpg

Step #3 The Puff Pastry

Sprinkle some flour on the counter and roll out your puff pastry into a rectangle… and cut in half. You’ll need your pieces of pastry to be large enough to wrap completely around the tenderloin.

Step #4 Wrap Up The Tenderloins

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/wellington3.jpg

Now that we’ve got the pastry ready we can now spread out the mushroom mixture about 1/8-1/4″ thick on the pastry and then top with your tenderloin. Wrap it all up tightly and then use a basting brush to put an egg wash over the pastry to seal it… Lastly I sprinkly some rock salt on top and then lightly scribe a few lines across the top with a knife for a fancy look once it’s cooked.

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/wellington4.jpg

** Important Trick. After making these a few times this is critical. Before placing my Wellingtons onto a baking pan I first cover a cookie cooling rack with tinfoil and poke a bunch of little holes in it. I then place this onto the cookie sheet so that the wellington isn’t cooking in a bunch of juices and the pastry is nice, fluffy and crisp.

Once you’ve got them ready to go into the oven throw them in your oven for 25-30 minutes on 350-375 degrees until they are done to your liking. Use a meat thermometer for accurate temps. I serve this dish with mashed potatoes and asparagus in a dill sauce.

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/wellington5.jpg

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/wellington6.jpg

Enjoy….
Carl

Ddog
05-05-2009, 09:53 PM
that looks just rude, i would hate to eat that.;) JK
omg i want that sooooo bad

mrdoog
05-06-2009, 01:45 AM
That looks sooo good.
Can you send me a frozen one?

bigwhiteys
05-06-2009, 07:26 AM
that looks just rude, i would hate to eat that.:wink: JK
omg i want that sooooo bad

Be careful... You make it once and the other members of your household will probably ask for it more then you'll feel like making it!

That looks sooo good. Can you send me a frozen one?

You can buy frozen ones from M&M meats but they don't even come close to my recipe. M&M wishes they could make it this good :)

Carl

newhunterette
05-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Carl,
that looks absolutely amazing -
Chef Ramsey would be proud to serve that from his "Hell's Kitchen" and not even drop an "f-bomb" to the beauty of that serving. :) well done (not the meat) the meal

I remember a time on HBC when the recipe section was good but often neglected, then more and more recipes started showing up, then photos of those recipes started joining the pages, its amazes me the numner of wonderful venison chefs we actually have on the site and I personally can see the pride now that y'all have shown in your tasty dishes that you create and share (see I have rubbed off a little on some of you - and dont take that a naughty way)

Wild_Dog
05-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Looks good,
I think the lines you scribed on the top are not for a "fancy look" but to stop the pastry from rising to much. Keeps the crust thinner.

sawmill
05-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Can I move in with you guys?

bigwhiteys
05-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Carl,that looks absolutely amazing -
Chef Ramsey would be proud to serve that from his "Hell's Kitchen" and not even drop an "f-bomb" to the beauty of that serving. :smile: well done (not the meat) the meal

Ha Ha, thanks. Yeah that one pictured is a little on the rare side but it was the thickest cut and MINE :) I cook all the meals as my wifes speciality (peanut butter toast) just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

Looks good,I think the lines you scribed on the top are not for a "fancy look" but to stop the pastry from rising to much. Keeps the crust thinner.

I'm not a trained chef but I was brought up by a single mom who couldn't cook (she tried hard though) out of necessity I had to learn :)

Can I move in with you guys?

I think M&M meats would be a better choice. I don't think there are many people who could cut it around this place... 3 little boys aged 6 mos, 3 and 5... Most house guests don't mak'er very long! :biggrin:

So is anybody going to tackle this dish... I think it might be a good way to choke down some black bear tenderloins, I may try it with mine when I get one.

Carl

Bow Walker
05-06-2009, 10:09 AM
My dear 'ol Dad is coming for a visit soon. Guess what I'm going to be serving?

Thanks Carl.

weatherby_man
05-06-2009, 10:13 AM
My mouth is watering just looking at that meal.

Thanks for the recipe!

bigwhiteys
05-06-2009, 10:26 AM
My dear 'ol Dad is coming for a visit soon. Guess what I'm going to be serving? Thanks Carl.

Good Luck with it! I just edited the recipe as I forgot to add the fresh parsley and also added the tip about letting the mushroom mixture cool down before you try to wrap it with the tenderloin.

Carl

sawmill
05-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Hey Big whities,my Dad used to say my Mom couldn`t cook shit for a blind tramp.And he was right,every one I cook for asks me how I learned to cook and I tell them it was self defence:smile:My Dad was an awsome cook,when he had time,I learned a lot from him.Fer instance,moose steaks do NOT need to be fried for 2 hours to make them safe.Same as scrambled eggs,bacon,.......Don`t get me wrong,loved my Mom but I started cooking when I was about 10 years old just so I could eat something that was not awfull.To her defence though her Mom was from England and did not believe in Onions,Pepper,Garlic,or any other spice.I used to hate going there for Christmas dinner.:sad:
Your stuff looks great,try a Turduckin(turkey,chicken,duck all boned out and rolled up and sewed back together)Did that 2 years ago for Christmas ,it worked perfectly.:smile:

Gateholio
05-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Looks good!

Sometimes the classics are the best ways. I love cooking old school at home, especially in the winter:smile:

bigwhiteys
05-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Hey Big whities,my Dad used to say my Mom couldn`t cook shit for a blind tramp.And he was right,every one I cook for asks me how I learned to cook and I tell them it was self defence:smile:

That's a nice way of putting it lol... For me just hearing the word "casserole" brings back horrible memories of some of my childhood meals.

My Dad was an awsome cook,when he had time,I learned a lot from him.Fer instance,moose steaks do NOT need to be fried for 2 hours to make them safe.Same as scrambled eggs,bacon.

My Dad can cook some pretty mean campfire meals, his side of the family are all pretty good cooks.

I know my dad kept firing cooks one year out in the mountains, everytime he ran off a cook then my Grandpa would have to fly Grandma into the camp and she'd cook till they found a replacement.

Third time the plane came in and my Grandpa just handed my dad some cooking utensils and an apron, with a letter from Grandma politely telling him to "get to work" :)

Your stuff looks great,try a Turduckin(turkey,chicken,duck all boned out and rolled up and sewed back together)Did that 2 years ago for Christmas ,it worked perfectly

I will look that up, thanks. Lately I've had a weird fascination with trying to make a "Bacon Explosion" My tastebuds say yes, but my guts say don't even try it!

Carl

Gateholio
05-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I will look that up, thanks. Lately I've had a weird fascination with trying to make a "Bacon Explosion" My tastebuds say yes, but my guts say don't even try it!

Carl

We made some at work with chorizo sausage, just for fun. Prertty good. Not good for you.:shock:

sawmill
05-07-2009, 10:11 AM
We made some at work with chorizo sausage, just for fun. Prertty good. Not good for you.:shock:

I just looked that up,I think I`m having a heart attack:shock:
My hunting buddy`s wife was from Scotland and made us a traditional Scottish boiled dinner once.Boiled pork hocks,boiled potatoes,boiled cabadge,boiled dumplings and no seasonings.It was f*cking horrific.And being as she was a WW2 war bride she served a BIG plate and you had to finish it all.Her husband was even worse,he would put 3 cast iron pans on the stove ,turn the heat to 10 and throw spuds in one ,bacon in the other and eggs in the third.15 minutes later all the smoke alarms were going off,all the doors and windows were open and Grannie Wood was screaming at him in her heavy Scots brouge"GEA OOT MA KITCHEN YE BLUDEY FOOL!YEE`LL BARN ME HOOSE DOON YE DOLT!"Loved them both to pieces but I sure was hungry after a week long moose trip!

rifleman
05-07-2009, 10:15 AM
that looks & sound delicious. when are you cooking that again? it won't take me long to drive up to your house. LOL
I think I'll give that recipe a try.
thanx