PDA

View Full Version : What gear for stocked lakes?

MichelD
05-05-2009, 02:16 PM
What do you find works to catch the trout in the local stocked lakes?

I took my five year old grandson out last week to Lafarge Lake and tried a bit of shrimp and some pieces of bright orange power bait suspended from a bobber and we couldn't get a thing. Tried worms too.

A lot of the older oriental guys seemed to be using something similar, but the guys catching fish were casting with some kind of lure.

One guy in a belly boat was trolling with something and catching fish too.
http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/images/misc/progress.gif http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/images/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=97721)

ElkMasterC
05-05-2009, 02:25 PM
I fly fish there with what I call a "Casper".
It's a little white bunny leech with a bead head and a couple strands of Krystal Flash in the short tail.
Slays 'em.

MichelD
05-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Thank you ElkmasterC.

I don't have any fly fishing gear, but I have occasionally had a bit of success putting a fly on and just casting it out with a foam bobber.

smokey
05-05-2009, 03:12 PM
try bottom fishing just put on a weight and about 3-4 feet leader and a small hook,with the small hook the power bait will rise off the lake bed and fish will grab it

sawmill
05-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Try a Weddng band (bright green)or a tiny 2 blade silver or gold spinner with a 12-16 inch trailer hook and troll them a couple feet down and a happy worm(gotta kiss it first,gives kids something to be grossed out about)A black leech pattern fly works great too in spring.

The Hermit
05-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Nets! LOL J/K

bsa30-06
05-05-2009, 03:52 PM
try bottom fishing just put on a weight and about 3-4 feet leader and a small hook,with the small hook the power bait will rise off the lake bed and fish will grab it

Tried this sunday afternoon with my 5 year old....didnt work.
Aswell tried bobber / worm and bobber/power bait(green) that didnt work either.I'm thinkin a fly is the way to go.

goatdancer
05-05-2009, 04:02 PM
CIL wobbler always works........ By the way, whether the lake is stocked or not does not change what you use. The time of year, the time of day, sometimes even the color of your gaunch will determine if you catch fish or not. :biggrin:

bsa30-06
05-05-2009, 04:04 PM
CIL wobbler always works........ By the way, whether the lake is stocked or not does not change what you use. The time of year, the time of day, sometimes even the color of your gaunch will determine if you catch fish or not. :biggrin:

I knew i should have wore the blue gaunch!:lol:

bsa30-06
05-05-2009, 05:46 PM
forgot to mention that my daughter was there with us and she was walkin the shore line checking out everybodies bait, and green power bait seemed to be the bait of choice, but there was one guy using Western Family assorted fruit flavored mini marshmallows.

johnes50
05-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Here's my 'secret' to catching trout in lakes.

Put a slip sinker on your line, then a bead, then a snap swivel. Make a three foot leader with 4-6lb. test line, a barrel swivel on one end and a Gamamatsu #6 octopus hook on the other end. Put 3 floating 'Power Eggs' on the hook so it floats. It 'must' float. Now cast to a likely spot without to many weeds. You will catch trout with this set up. You can reuse your eggs till they fall apart.

Try different colors to see what the fish are biting. I have good luck with 'Sunrise, Chartruse, and Orange'. They all work though.

It ain't fly fishing, but it's fun and you and the kids will catch fish.

John

Bpower
05-05-2009, 06:12 PM
For Lafarge Lake there is a deeper hole that you can cast to from the North East side of the lake. There are a couple of benches at that spot right beside an outflow creek. There are a bunch of BIG carp that cruise around in the lake as well so that might be an option as well. Talk to Gary at Riverside for his carp recipe.

rocksteady
05-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I knew i should have wore the blue gaunch!:lol:

What ???? You are supposed to wear underwear when fishing??? I did not read that in the regs????

So if you fish "a la commando" and catch one, is that poaching???

bsa30-06
05-05-2009, 06:22 PM
What ???? You are supposed to wear underwear when fishing??? I did not read that in the regs????

So if you fish "a la commando" and catch one, is that poaching???

Nope but you have to release it.:p

Gope
05-05-2009, 06:54 PM
im new to fresh water fishing (this is my first year at it) and i have found that a number 10 hook, put a worm on sort of like a wormball (hook it 2 or 3 times) with 2 tails that hang off a little bit. then a piece of green power bait not the big pellets but the litter ones. bobber 2ft of line, add a few weights, 3ft of line and your hook.

Wild one
05-05-2009, 09:41 PM
The best way I have found to catch stocked trout on bait is a slip rig on the bottom with a 3 Ft leader. For bait a marshmallow run up the line just in front of the hook and a shrimp on the hook.

ratherbefishin
05-06-2009, 07:00 AM
I troll a wedding band right on the surface,tipped with a bit of worm with just a regular salt water barrel swivel 3' ahead of it for weight.Another lure that works well in the spring is the smallest dick nyte spoon [black]or the smallest flatfish[black] also right on the surface.If the water is glass calm, go back about 100' from the boat,rippled water you can cut that in half

Spirit's Master
05-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Troll a small black or olive leech if you can. You can replace any of the Power Bait options with a leech pattern also.

cwf