PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Bear 6-15

BigBanger
05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
I have a Tag for a Grizz in 6-15. I have a few questions. My gun, I shoot a 30-06. Is my gun big enough ?
This is my first Grizzly hunt and Im a new hunter.
Does anyone have any pointers or tips I should know?

Any help would be awesome , thanks guys .

Stone Sheep Steve
05-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Gun is plenty big enough if you hit your spot.

Choose a good bullet.

Get close and get a good rest.

Don't pull the pin of your cross-hairs are dancing all over.

Have fun and enjoy the scenery.

Getting a bear should be a bonus to gaining some experience.

SSS

stonecrazy
05-05-2009, 01:58 PM
take a partner with you as back up, a long shot or missed place one can get you in a lot of trouble but nothing that isn't impossible to be overcome. A good hunting partner can back you up with additonal shots if yours go astray. Also talk to a taxidermist as to proper way to skin, if you misplace a couple of cuts it can seriously damage your hide and you'll end up with a trimed down version of the bear you shot. good luck and happy hunting.:biggrin:

BigBanger
05-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Gaining some experience is what its all about for me .

Thanks

bigben
05-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Yes the gun is big enough ,,,,,,,,,,,get close and use 200 grain bullet that is well construted ................... then show us the picture of the bear you got ........good luck

sawmill
05-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Every man wants to know if "his gun is big enough":biggrin:Seriously though it ain`t what you shoot,it`s how you shoot.I shot 26 blacks and two grizz with a .270 using 130 gr. Remington corelocks.
One thing about grizz I found (been in on 10 or so kills besides my own) is they die a hell of a lot harder than blacks.Pick your shot carefully and you should be fine.Trust me,following a badly shot bear of any kind can take a few years off your life,if not all of them.I walked right over a grizz my freind had shot,he fell down through some blow down timber,I heard a wierd gurrgle sound,looked down and there he was 3 feet below my jewals.:eek:
New underware for me after I put him down!Try not to shoot them in the head though,can`t score them if you bust up the skull too bad.Been there,done that.:icon_frow

BCbillies
05-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Which zone of 6-15 (A, B, or C)? Depending upon where you drew the LEH it may be the last year to hunt this particular zone. When are you scheduled to hunt . . . timing and luck are a factor as well as wind and noise! :wink: Are you planning on bringing a black bear tag just in case? It's just been greening up here over the last week. Lots of glassing . . . they like to hide in the thick stuff. My advice -"give'em another one"

BCLongshot
05-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Getting experience Grizz hunting mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

BigBanger
05-05-2009, 05:25 PM
My draw is for zone c . A back bear tag will be in my pocket as well . Ill be going up on the longweekend and if that doesent pan out Ill be heading back for a week.

I have some experience hunting Black bear and deer but not grizz .

Thanks for the help and input guys .

gerrygoat
05-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Your '06 is fine use a good tough 180 gr + bullet and make sure you get a good shot through both lungs. Good luck on your hunt.

zoominjr
05-05-2009, 09:41 PM
A 30-06 is enough but bullet placement is important. I took my grizz with a 30-06 in 2003 at 150 yards. I used 200 gr Nosler Partition hand loads. Dropped him with one shot, took out the spine. Don't rush it make sure you have a good shooting lane before pulling the trigger. You don't want to take a risky shot. Watch slides and greened up areas, look for tracks on snow. Get out early in the season if you can before there is too much greenery. Good luck, spring bear hunting is great after a long winter. Enjoy.

gerrygoat
05-05-2009, 09:47 PM
A rare post from zoominjr at this rate you might get a hundred posts in your lifetime ;)

zoominjr
05-05-2009, 10:11 PM
I do check in on occassion but don't necessarily post. However you're right but I am a little busier these days with the new little one so I don't take the time. Any good bear sightings on the weekend? PM me if there is anything to worth speaking of.

BCbillies
05-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Nice avatar there zoominjr . . . I hope to plant my feet on that slide next week in pursuit of something rather stinky! :smile:

gerrygoat
05-05-2009, 10:37 PM
I do check in on occassion but don't necessarily post. However you're right but I am a little busier these days with the new little one so I don't take the time. Any good bear sightings on the weekend? PM me if there is anything to worth speaking of.

We only saw that one bear but we did see a black wolf by the river on the way home though, by the weekend there should be a lot more bears out. Your family might enjoy a nice drive when the bears finally show up. I like your avatar too, proof that the 30-06 works :)

North Star
09-19-2009, 02:36 PM
So how did this hunt go?

I have a tag for 6-15c and am going first week of Oct. I've heard the Moose numbers are low in this area and was afraid the bears might be scarce also.

I'm taking a 30-06 too and was leaning towards the Winchester XP3 180gr bullets, what did you end up using?

doyle
02-20-2010, 02:12 PM
do you live in terrace? i have the same tag. want to partner up?

Caribou_lou
02-20-2010, 02:21 PM
do you live in terrace? i have the same tag. want to partner up?

Send him a PM and get some info if he's willing to give you some. He had that Tag last year.