PDA

View Full Version : Are the Berkeley products "BAIT"??

willyqbc
05-05-2009, 09:23 AM
So I am just wondering if the the Berkley power bait lines of products are considered "bait" and therefore subject to bait bans? The regulations state that bait is:

"any foodstuff or natural substance used to attract fish, other than wood,cotton, wool, hair, fur or feathers. It does not include fin fish, other than roe. It includes roe, worms, and other edible substances, as well as scents and flavourings containing natural substances or nutrients."

.....so given the fact that the Berkley products are not a natural substance.....at least I don't think it would be considered natural seeing as it is manufactured, not harvested. I wonder if the "scent" coming off the product qualifies it as bait??

Anyway, if anyone knows for sure which way this one goes i would appreciate your input!

Thanks
Chris

boxhitch
05-05-2009, 10:20 AM
any foodstuffSounds clear to me.

Chuck
05-05-2009, 10:24 AM
And then there's bait that is legal, but if it falls off of the hook and is washed downstream it becomes an attractant and Chumming is unlawful too.
Haven't those guys who sit behind desks anything better to do?

willyqbc
05-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough....I can definately see the power bait paste type stuff being illegal as a foodstuff, but I was thinking more of their line of soft baits that look like minnows or worms or what have you, I think they are called "Berkley Gulp". They seem to be a soft plastic that is scented....I guess my question is, seeing as it is a manufactured product is it considered "natural"?? I saw them in the store and they have no "ingredient list" so I'm not sure where the scent comes from....they could just be soaked in fish oil for all i know which would then make them illegal, I have sent an email to them to try and find out what the deal is on them, just thought this may have come up allready and someone here might have the answer.

Thanks
Chris

*******EDIT******

nevermind...found what I was looking for....they use natural ingredients to create the scent and therefore are illegal where there is a bait ban

Thanks
Chris

Ddog
05-05-2009, 10:55 AM
the paste stuff is considered bait, no "IF'S AND'S or BUT'S " about it. if you want to get real technical JENSEN EGGS are also "BAIT" seeing that they are artificially scented with an attractant.
i had this conversation with a couple of fisheries officers. (Family and friends in fisheries)
It is technically considered an artificial attractant and therefore is illegal, however, it is also the fisheries officer's discretion as to whether or not to pursue the issue. There might be a warning by the fishery officer or nothing at all.

BlacktailStalker
05-05-2009, 11:15 AM
If you are cautioning on the side of error, I wouldnt use them. They're scented. Scent is bait.

A lot of guys here are checked using Jensen eggs for steelies, some get fined, some don't.

Kirby
05-05-2009, 11:30 AM
They are bait. Scented is bait. Just like using scent wafers for bears.

Kirby

New ABolt
05-05-2009, 12:21 PM
"as well as scents and flavourings containing natural substances or nutrients." and those baits do have both artificial and natural ingredients.

They are bait and fall under "all" bait bans.