PDA

View Full Version : Bearless Hunt

skinarama
05-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Well, a buddy and I went bear hunting on Saturday, and didn't see squat. We put over 300 kms on my 4x4 and and didn't even see a single bear, or bear crap. We were up near Carmi, and drove all over areas we had seen bears last fall. There was alot of snow up high, and we even got stuck once in two feet of deep snow - right on the road! The fact that there was zero grass or plants starting to grow, should have tipped us off that it is still too early for the bears, even though it got up to 20 degrees on the mountain. We did see lots of white tails, piles of moose crap, and several gophers that allowed us to tune up our 12 guages on! I was dissapointed that we didn't see any bears, but we think we've found a new moose honey hole - so the trip wasn't a total waste. We did come accross some droppings that I am hoping someone can help identify. The droppings were in very neat piles about 3" high and the actual crap looked like pencils cut up into inch and a half lengths. There were probably a coouple hundred of these turd segments to each pile. We are thinking maybe a small rodent, or maybe a bird could have created these mystery piles. Whatever made the piles had a lot of time to sit in one spot to deposit that much crap. The crap was brown, and one pile had hair in it, and another had pine needles in it. It tasted like... kidding! Any ideas on this crap?? We will attack this area next weekend, and I'll try to get a pic of the mystery piles of crap.:biggrin:

hunter1947
05-04-2009, 07:56 AM
The scats with the hair in it is from a dead deer or other ,thats why it is brown with hair in it ,could be from a winter kill as well.

Saw bear scats yesterday it was brown with deer hair in it.

open-sights
05-04-2009, 08:09 AM
We did come accross some droppings that I am hoping someone can help identify. The droppings were in very neat piles about 3" high and the actual crap looked like pencils cut up into inch and a half lengths. :biggrin:

Sounds like Grouse to me, I have seen this up north and in the Kootenies.

horshur
05-04-2009, 08:17 AM
It has been a while and I realize alot has changed in the OK but the westside of OK lake always was good early......glass them from the road.

might be access issues. The north end of west side.

5 spike
05-04-2009, 07:55 PM
the ok is my old stomping grounds, we used to see a lot of bears up the greystokes area. another hot spot was around rock creek, its been about 15 years since i have hunted those places but it was hot back then. good luck hope to see some pic,s

scratch
05-04-2009, 08:37 PM
We did come accross some droppings that I am hoping someone can help identify. The droppings were in very neat piles about 3" high and the actual crap looked like pencils cut up into inch and a half lengths. There were probably a coouple hundred of these turd segments to each pile.

By any chance did the piles look like this, another fella and myself were up around Prophet River last weekend, out looking for bear and came across a bunch of piles down this one road. Couldn't see any tracks around them for the road was hard and rocky. We were also thinking some kind of bird, Geese maybe? There was a few marshes in the area.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb69/ageous1/Ftnelsonapril28-302009010640x480.jpg

Dirty
05-04-2009, 08:39 PM
By any chance did the piles look like this, another fella and myself were up around Prophet River last weekend, out looking for bear and came across a bunch of piles down this one road. Couldn't see any tracks around them for the road was hard and rocky. We were also thinking some kind of bird, Geese maybe? There was a few marshes in the area.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb69/ageous1/Ftnelsonapril28-302009010640x480.jpg

MMMMMMM Cheesies.

Fisher-Dude
05-04-2009, 08:50 PM
We were up near Carmi.......several gophers that allowed us to tune up our 12 guages on!

There is no open season on gophers (Columbian Ground Squirrels) in Region 8.

matt420
05-04-2009, 08:55 PM
i have seen wild turkey tracks around poo like that so i belive its a wild turkey but im not 100% sure

skinarama
05-05-2009, 07:38 AM
That is exactly the type of droppings we saw! I have no clue what its from, but I have seen wild turkey craps, and they look nothing like this. Turkey crap is way closer to a goose, with the runny white bird crap. Also the turkey crap I've seen was never in neat piles like this. How long do you think it would take an animal to squirt out all that crap in one spot? Must be a confident little bugger that isn't afraid of the openness of a road! Thanks for the pics of the manure!

Dirty
05-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Skinarama,

I vehemently suggest that you, and other hunters, read the regulations before you go hunting. If you chose to post online about illegal activities, please do it elsewhere. It reflects negatively on HBC and Hunters as a whole in BC. I know people make mistakes, I have made mistakes, but please don't do it again or post about it online.

Fisher-Dude
05-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Hey Skinarama, did you phone the Conservation Officer Service yet and explain to them what happened? They always treat cases more favourably when you report yourself. Just call the RAPP line, the number is listed in the hunting regulations that you failed to read before you shot those Columbian Ground Squirrels out of season.

skinarama
05-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Wow, do I ever feel low and ignorant. I am truly sorry for not reading the regulations regarding the Columbian Ground Squirrels before we went hunting. Not to even try to play this as an excuse, but the buddy I was hunting with was much more experienced than myself, and I took it for granted that he knew the regulations. Obviously not. Thankfully I knew that the grouse we saw were definately not in season! I am so pissed that I could be such an idiot and make such a foolish mistake. My stomach honestly has knots thinking of what has transpired. I will call RAPP, and recieve my punishment. Thanks guys for teaching me a lesson!

boxhitch
05-06-2009, 02:09 PM
That is exactly the type of droppings we saw! I have no clue what its from, but I have seen wild turkey craps, and they look nothing like this. Turkey crap is way closer to a goose, with the runny white bird crap. Also the turkey crap I've seen was never in neat piles like this. How long do you think it would take an animal to squirt out all that crap in one spot? Must be a confident little bugger that isn't afraid of the openness of a road! Thanks for the pics of the manure!Consider some more clues-
What you are looking at is winter crap, different diet than your summer sightings
The pile is created over time, the critter dumping in the same spot in the snow, accumulating before the meltdown.

As for bears, look lower, they have woken up and headed downhill to where the grass and forbes are green. check the creek bottoms, get off the roads.

Blainer
05-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Wow, do I ever feel low and ignorant. I am truly sorry for not reading the regulations regarding the Columbian Ground Squirrels before we went hunting. Not to even try to play this as an excuse, but the buddy I was hunting with was much more experienced than myself, and I took it for granted that he knew the regulations. Obviously not. Thankfully I knew that the grouse we saw were definately not in season! I am so pissed that I could be such an idiot and make such a foolish mistake. My stomach honestly has knots thinking of what has transpired. I will call RAPP, and recieve my punishment. Thanks guys for teaching me a lesson!Before you go calling the armed guards,I'm thinking you may of made an error in judgement as to what it was you were shooting at?
Was it not possibly?

(h) all species of the genus

Sciurus - gray

squirrels and fox squirrels

Schedule "C" animals can be captured or
killed anywhere and at any time in BC.
Schedule “C” birds may be hunted using electronic
calls.You do not need a hunting licence
to hunt or kill the following
Schedule “C” wildlife:
It was awfully nice of these fellow hunters to inform you of a possible infraction.
They are also available for political and hockey advice.

Fisher-Dude
05-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Before you go calling the armed guards,I'm thinking you may of made an error in judgement as to what it was you were shooting at?
Was it not possibly?

(h) all species of the genus

Sciurus - gray

squirrels and fox squirrels

Schedule "C" animals can be captured or

killed anywhere and at any time in BC.
Schedule “C” birds may be hunted using electronic
calls.You do not need a hunting licence
to hunt or kill the following
Schedule “C” wildlife:
It was awfully nice of these fellow hunters to inform you of a possible infraction.
They are also available for political and hockey advice.

There are no grey or fox squirrels in Region 8, only red squirrels. Columbian Ground Squirrels are what we all call "gophers" and are Schedule B wildlife. Unless you are protecting your private property, Schedule B wildlife can only be killed during an open season. There is no open season on gophers in Region 8.