PDA

View Full Version : grizz hunt in 4 31

Big jer
05-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Wandering if anyone had some info on grizz hunting in 4-31?
Has there been any sighting or success?
Is there lots of snow still?
We` are thinking of heading up halfway river to the Mobbs creek area.
Is it accessible this time of year? Hike or Quad?
Any help would be great.

05-03-2009, 09:50 PM
4-31 is a bitch to hunt until the end on May..or the first week of June..seriously. I have spent a lot of time up there in the spring and fall and have spent a bit of time up there this year looking for black bear. There is still a tonne of snow up there, and you will be wasting your time if you go this time of year. The Halfway road is ok, but access up the back end is limited due to major amounts of deadfall across the road. If your willing to hike (or snowshow) 5-10 km, it could be great, however, 2 years ago the slides didn't green-up until June. River Road is great, and allows for much better access, as does Kuskanax Road. If I were you, I would hunt the last 5 days of the season for the best chance of success.

By the way, does anybody know why the southern MUs grizzly season ends on June 5th rather than the 15th??? It really makes it tough in the snowbelt.

Big jer
05-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks 325!
I figured as much about the snow. We got a 50 yr old and a 23yr old, both in good shape, so planning on snow showing in a couple of weeks, just to scout out the area, then back the last 5 days on the quads. Is spotting and stocking a good option in that area?
Your input is very helpful.