PDA

View Full Version : Dogs that shed hunt?

Buckmeister
05-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Anybody here use dogs to shed hunt? Are dogs good at it? Any particular breed better than another? How do you train a dog to find sheds? Do they go by scent, or by sight?

Just curious. It would be fun to have a pupper along when shed hiking, probally safer too.8-)

huntinnewbie
05-04-2009, 04:02 AM
I've been working with our black lab here on our property. She is already a tennis ball junkie and an excellent duck dog. I showed her a shed I had and then made a game of hiding some around the property. She found everyone of them. But I don't know if she was follwowing my scent trail from hiding them or the actual sheds I hid. they were old sheds and \i don't know how much scent they may have had. She certainly knew what she was looking for and never tried to bring back sticks or anything else including her discarded toys. She only retreived the sheds. This, buy the way, is a 9 year old dog.Haven't had the opportunity to try her in the bush yet. But I have heard that there are dogs that can hunt out sheds and recent sheds would have more scent i would think.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-04-2009, 04:48 AM
Here's some info.

http://deersheddog.com/

SSS

hunter1947
05-04-2009, 05:36 AM
It sure would be nice to have a dog that did find sheds just think of how many sheds a person would find when out hunting them with your dog ,especially in this thick under bush that we Vancouver Islanders have to put up with :cool:.

bowhunterbruce
05-04-2009, 06:30 AM
any breed or mix of breed can retrieve anything that they are trained to retrieve.of coarse every bit of training should be a game of fun for the dog.i have even seen people train thier dogs to find arrows that have missed thier targets and gone under the grass and snow behind a target,its just spending the time out there with your pouch haveing fun and rewarding them for donig good.

whitetailsheds
05-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Got my black lab going on sheds when he was just 12 weeks old. Started by giving him fresh sheds and playing with him and the sheds. Really tried to imprint the smell of the fresh sheds on him. Played hide and seek with them in the snow. I'd hide them while I had him wait in the carport (out of site), then toss them in the snow for him to find. When he did, he got a treat. Eventually he started bringing home sheds from around our acreage while I was at work!!!!
I'd come home one day and found one on the driveway (20 yds from the house), and the other side on the front step. Man, I miss him....

hannibal
05-04-2009, 09:06 AM
I always take my dogs shedding, they may not stop for every shed but they always put me where the deer have been, and that is where the sheds are.

Fisher-Dude
05-04-2009, 12:14 PM
My dog sheds lots.

There are piles of hair all over the house one day after it's vacuumed. :p

Shed Hunter
05-04-2009, 02:17 PM
dogs!!!! that would take the fun out of finding them your self

Iron Glove
05-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Last fall we took our Toller, our Daughter's lab and our neighbour's two labs across the River to look around. All 4 of the mutts walked past a beautiful shed that I picked up for the cabin. All 4 mutts also missed seeing the young grizzly @ 100 metres up the trail.
Shed hunt? I wouldn't trust those 4 to hunt anything. :)

ruger#1
05-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to buy a shed at Rona.

switchback
05-04-2009, 05:17 PM
I have a German Wire hair. When he was young I took my girls and my dog .22 shooting in the mountians. We had set up a bunch of ballons in some xmas trees against a bank. After we shot. My dog Dexter ran in and came out with a beutiful 4 point antler. We all praised him. After that time each time he found an antler he brought it back to me. He brought me enough for me to make an antler chandalier.

Ron.C
05-04-2009, 05:32 PM
My dog Buckley has found several elk shed and a few blacktail sheds. His favourite chew toy is a stump of an elk antler. In the house, he knows what I mean when I ask him to get his shed.
He's no trained shed hunting dog or anything, but does pretty good and when I tell him to get the shed, he looks for them. If I could teach him to bark when he found one, or bring it to me, I'd be in buisness. Instead I watch where he pauses, and on several occasions, that's been on sheds.

Shooter
05-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I have been training my pup on some sheds. I made a fun game of it with him. I hide the shed somewhere when he isn't looking and after awhile I tell him to find the horns. He absolutely loves it. It doesn't matter what he is doing he stops and instantly puts his nose to the ground and searches till he finds the shed. When he finds the shed he brings it to me and drops it at my feet and sits down waiting for his praise and his treat:-P. I have been doing this with him since he was 12 weeks old and he is 16 weeks now. Although he puts his nose to the ground and seems to be looking for a scent he seems to only find it by sight. I have seen him go right by a well hidden shed with his nose to the ground and not get it till he happened to see it.

I have also hidden the shed and not said anything and waited till he found it by accident and he still brings it to me looking for praise. Its a great game to play with him.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1010489.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1010495.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1010462.jpg

Buckmeister
05-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Shooter....nice pup ya got there! So your training him to be a horny dog?!:wink:

5 spike
05-04-2009, 07:44 PM
boone is a great little pup and he is very smart. shooter and i have been taking him bear hunting with us also, he gets along great with my shepard they both ride together side by side in the box. that dog is going to be a great shed hunter.

Seabass
05-04-2009, 08:57 PM
For what its worth my Bullmastiff found a nice shed when we were out on walk. Needless to say he got steak that night!!

BigBanger
05-05-2009, 12:01 AM
My dog sheds lots.

Mine too!!!

Good job with the pup Shooter .

betteroffishing
01-24-2010, 09:27 AM
i wonder if you took last years shed { a handled one } and rubbed some raw deer meat intoit if that would not cover your human scent enough to emphasize the smell of the actual quarry?? i'm gonna try that one out.

whitetailsheds
01-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Then they're looking for "raw deer meat"......

moose2
01-24-2010, 11:44 PM
I tried training a redbone to look for moose antlers. I thought she would sit and howl when she found one , and I would go get it. She worked well at the house but would not howl in the woods. I am part to blame for this because she walks with me when I hunt and I taught her to be silent. Just the same she finds a few each year I just have to watch when she stops I will go check. Sometimes it is a shed or something dead, but worth a look. She has also picked up deer antler on occasion and carried them awhile. Scent hounds are better following a trail laid down, so other breeds might be better for this purpose. There are a coulpe breeders in the US mixing labs and standard poodles for the purpose of finding sheds. "Labradoodles" I don't think they will win any beauty contests, but from what I read they take to shed hunting natrually. MIKE

GoatGuy
01-25-2010, 12:10 AM
My dog sheds lots.

Also sheds diarrhea all over the house.