PDA

View Full Version : The Bullet Proof Ram!

bridger
05-03-2009, 06:53 PM
The Bullet Proof Ram

It was cold for August, even in the high country, and a heavy layer of frost covered the meadow as I stepped out of the tent. Listening carefully, I could hear horse bells the sound every horseman loves to hear in the early morning light.

Dawn in a high country sheep camp is special. The first thing you notice is the silence, broken only by the occasional mountain blue bird or the faint tinkling of horse bells. The air is clean and crisp, the setting peaceful. This was such a morning, and as I dug my spotting scope out of my pack, I thought about how fortunate I was to be sheep hunting with my family and best friend Jon Johnson in some of the greatest hunting country in North America. This was a special trip. Special in that it was the first time both of our boys were old enough to handle the rigors of an extended hunting trip. Although Dan had gone with me the year before this was Wanda and Doug’s first trip to the mountains. Our first family sheep trip.

I walked out into the meadow and began glassing the mountain across the river. Too early I thought; not enough light to see into all the nooks and crannies that rams love so much. I could hear Jon and the boys in their tent getting dressed as I continued to glass the mountain. Suddenly movement near the top of the ridge caught my eye. Tilting the spotting scope up a little, I caught my breath as a full curl ram walked out of the shadows into plain view. Few things give a sheep hunter an adrenaline rush like finding a big ram. As the light increased more rams appeared, slowly working their way to the top of the ridge. I counted fourteen in all; twelve of them were full curl.

“Hey, Guys, I see a bunch of rams across the river!” I literally shouted. “Get out here and have a look.”

“They’re beautiful,” Wanda exclaimed, as she watched the first stone rams she had ever seen feeding along the skyline.

Jon who is a sheep hunter’s sheep hunter is a great judge of sheep heads. “Two of those rams are 40 inches and maybe bigger,” Jon said as we watched them disappear over the skyline. “We need to get serious about this bunch.”

Although the rams were now out of sight, we knew that the back side of this mountain was a long south-facing grassy slope where the rams went to feed. In two or three hours they would make their way back to the north side and bed in the ledges for the day. Then we could plan a stalk and take our chances of getting on the rams. Dan and Doug went down river to wrangle the horses, and while Wanda started breakfast, Jon and I got organized.

Soon the first ram reappeared on the skyline feeding his way back to the bedding areas. An hour later the rams were all bedded down and set for the day. They were concentrated on a long narrow hog’s back about two hundred yards below the ridge top. We marked their general location by a large rock on the skyline. The mountain sloped gradually down the back side. The front side was very steep and rough, an ideal ram mountain. If the rams stayed where they were, we would have a good chance of getting in position above them.

We had packed up and left the Alaska Highway three days before, and after an easy but busy first day, we hit the river at the end of the second day. We were riding down a side creek and although still a mile away we could hear the river roaring .Jon and I had crossed the river in this spot several times over the years and I wasn’t overly concerned. I failed, however, to take into account that Wanda and the boys were about to make their first major river crossing and that the sound of the roaring river was causing them some concern. We reached the river, and although it was high I didn’t think the horses would have to swim. I checked the packs, and I could see the concern on Wanda’s face. That’s when I made a decision without thinking the situation clear through. “Jon and I’ll take the pack horses across; then I’ll come back for you and the boys,” I said, thinking that would be a good idea. When Jon and I got across, I looked back and realized instantly that I had failed to take into account the effect on their saddle horses. Afraid they were being left behind, two of the horses panicked and pulled away and crossed the river on their own. Catching them up I went back across the river and got Wanda and the boys. As we started across I reminded them not to look at the water, but instead to focus on the far bank or a tree. Looking at the water when fording a river can cause you to get vertigo and actually fall off your horse mid stream. We crossed without incident and soon had camp set up; ready for opening morning.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/family_at_duffield_creek.jpeg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13914&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=10914)

On the Trail

bridger
05-03-2009, 06:59 PM
We took one last check with the spotting scope to make sure the rams were comfortable, and left camp. We would have to cross the river and back track a mile or so to get behind the mountain. Then climb to the top and locate the rock that marked our spot. Three hours later, we were at the rock. Now all we had to do was crawl up to the edge of the rim and then carefully peek over and locate the rams.

We quietly chambered rounds and started forward. We had only a few feet to go when I suddenly smelled the rams!! The air currents were coming up over the top of the ridge carrying their scent right to us. I snapped my fingers to get Jon’s attention and whispered that I could smell the sheep. They had to be close! The three of us began crawling towards the edge of the rim. Peeking over, we were surprised to see the rams lying just under the rim, maybe 75 feet below us. As the day heated up, they had climbed further up the ridge to get out of the flies. We were literally right on top of them.

The next few moments will remain etched in my memory forever. The rams started getting up. One small ram panicked and ran between Dan and me. If I had reacted faster I could have kicked him--he was that close. I saw Dan raise his gun, and thinking he was going to shoot the ram running towards us I said, “Don’t shoot; he’s too small.”

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/jon_and_big_ram_2.jpeg
Jon and his ram

“I’m not going to shoot him! I’m going to shoot one of those great big ones,” he exclaimed, pulling his gun up.

I looked down the hill and standing less that 25 yards away were three full curl rams. The biggest was a whopper, heavy and broomed, horn tips over his nose; definitely a shooter. I raised my 7mm mag and placed the cross hair on his shoulder; then I made the biggest mistake of my hunting career. I thought to myself, “Don’t shoot him in the shoulder, it will ruin the cape.” I moved the crosshair behind his shoulder and pulled the trigger, sending the Nosler bullet on its way. I can still see that ram looking back at me through the scope. He didn’t even blink. He stared at me for a moment or two and then casually jumped down under the rim. I couldn’t believe it! How could I miss a ram that big; that close? Rams were now running all over the place. I heard Jon shooting but didn’t stop to see what was happening. The rams were under the rim and going around the corner of the mountain. Dan and I ran down the ridge top about fifty yards and the rams suddenly reappeared 150 yards away running. Dan shot but missed. He had an excuse. He was only 13 years old and that was the first bunch of rams he had seen. I could understand how he could get excited and miss. I looked frantically for the big ram but couldn’t see him anywhere. A minute or so later I saw him down the hill, running flat out across a draw and onto another mountain. I couldn’t believe I had missed that ram. I was devastated. It would be a long time before I would get a crack at another ram that big.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/dan_and_jons_ram.jpeg

Dan and Jon's Ram

Climbing back to the top, I located Jon about 100 yards down the hill. “Come down and give me a hand” he yelled. We were on a cow’s face for a hillside, so I told Dan to stay up on top. I carefully worked my way down to Jon He had a big smile on his face and with good reason. His ram was super! It was 38 ½ inches, heavy, broomed, and 10 years old—a wonderful head.

“Wow! That was great; there were rams all over the place. Did you get that big ram” he asked hopefully? The look on my face answered his question.

The hillside was so steep I held on to a ledge with one hand and Jon’s belt with the other as he caped out his ram.

When we got back up on top, Dan was standing in the same spot as the ram when I shot at him. “You hit the ram, Dad,” Dan shouted. “There’s some blood on the rock.” I scrambled across the hillside. Sure enough there were a few drops of blood where the ram had been standing. I looked for a trail, but those few drops were all I found. In my mind I could still see the ram running over to the other mountain; I was confident he wasn’t hit hard.

Back at camp that night I was feeling pretty down, but after thinking how lucky I was to be with my family and best friend in those magnificent surroundings, my spirits picked up.

The next day we went back up on the mountain and looked for the ram with no luck. We spent a few days looking for rams for Dan and Doug and keeping an eye out for ravens where I had last seen the big ram. I was finished sheep hunting for the year. I had had my chance! The thought of that ram haunts me to this day. I have never made that mistake again.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/the_lady_sheep_hunter.jpeg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13918&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=10914)
The Lady Sheep Hunter

About a day’s travel to the north was a big sheep lick I wanted to show Wanda and the boys. So we packed up and moved camp.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/sheep_in_camp.jpeg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13917&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=10914)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/duffield_sheep_lick.jpeg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13915&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=10914)

For three days we watched and photographed sheep and moose coming into the lick at all times of the day; just taking it easy and enjoying the mountain solitude. The sheep became so used to our being there that some of them actually came into camp and laid down between the tents. It was a great family experience and one we would always remember. Dan and Doug would both take rams the next year, but that is a story for another day.

vanislehunter1
05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Wow! that was a great story!! you must have hit the ram but where? did you check to see if your gun was sighted in properly??

HD95
05-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Geez Rich;I wonder if a book of your hunting experiences shouldn't be in the works.I think we all enjoy your northern hunting stories.Thanks

rifleman
05-03-2009, 07:24 PM
good story! trophys like that don't come very often. I know how you feel. Oh well thats hunting. Thanks for sharing.

Gateholio
05-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Another great story, shame about losing the ram!:cool:

olharley guy
05-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Excellent story, really makes me dream about a few years ago when living in the north. Did you ever go back to the same area for another hunt? Later

kennyj
05-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks Bridger.Another great story.Maybe learn a little to.
kenny

Ambush
05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Another great read!! You keep at it and I may have to get over my fear and loathing of those devils in equine disguise.

BillyBull
05-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Thats a a great story with real events that can only be told by a good hunter. I had a similar experience with a moose many years ago and found a nice strip of skin and hair that I peeled off his back with a great shot only to see him trudge off into the mountains. Many thanks, Bridger.

killman
05-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Do you have a book? Because if you don't, you should!

huntwriter
05-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Another great story Bridger. You really should think about getting all these stories onto a manuscript and then find a publisher. I am convinced the book would make a good seller for two reasons. You’re a good storyteller and hunters like to read good stories.

6 K
05-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Great read! thanks.
Really cool story to hear your whole family was with you on a sheep hunt, I'll have to settle for going with my son, if I last that long.
You say you've never made that mistake again, I'm just not sure what it was you thought was your mistake.
A chest shot would have been perfectly acceptable option in my opinion!?!?!

swampdonkey
05-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Do you have a book? Because if you don't, you should!X2that was a good read

Mugger
05-03-2009, 10:09 PM
I felt like I was standing beside you, It was awsome, thanks for the ride. "Living The Dream".

yama49
05-03-2009, 10:21 PM
another awesome story, keep them coming...................

Dirty
05-03-2009, 10:48 PM
They are even better the second time around, once again, a great read or re-read. However, you slice it, they are always good.

Mik
05-04-2009, 01:10 AM
With stories like this, I dont even need to get out....its like I was there. Once again, Thanks for story and pics.

hunter1947
05-04-2009, 05:59 AM
I love them old pic Bridger and your story was very interesting ,thanks for putting this post up very http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

7mag700
05-04-2009, 10:27 AM
As soon as I saw this post in the Forum I thought "ALL RIGHT another Bridger hunting tale!!!"

...and I wasn't disappointed. Great one Bridger, thanks!

7m7

BlacktailStalker
05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for another good one :cool:

BigBanger
05-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the read . Great stuff .

Nimrod
05-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Bridger
Absolutely love reading your stories.
Whens the book coming out...seriously!!

ianwuzhere
05-04-2009, 05:53 PM
ya bridger i think you could tell a few wicked stories around the ol camp fire- thanx for the story and pix... keep them comin!

bridger
05-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Bridger
Absolutely love reading your stories.
Whens the book coming out...seriously!!

woriking on getting one together, but haven't found a publisher yet

HD95
05-05-2009, 07:34 PM
woriking on getting one together, but haven't found a publisher yetYou'll probably have to self publish,Do you know Wilf Klingsat??Have you read his self published sheep hunting book??

Rattler
05-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Bridger,

Thanks again for another great high mountain hunting story.

gameslayer
05-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Great story, thanks for sharing

Johnnybear
05-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Always love reading your posts. Thanks for sharing. Please keep us posted if a book is to be released.

bridger
05-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Always love reading your posts. Thanks for sharing. Please keep us posted if a book is to be released.

thanks for the comments have the book about half finished hope to have it done by xmas.

whitetailsheds
05-15-2009, 10:57 AM
You'll probably have to self publish,Do you know Wilf Klingsat??Have you read his self published sheep hunting book??

Who is Wilf Klingsat? And how do you find his book? Thanks, G