PDA

View Full Version : Eagles...

ratherbefishin
05-03-2009, 08:24 AM
I did something I've always wanted to do yesterday-a big bald eagle was circling over me as I brought in a trout-[I thought he was going to try and grab it ]and even when I brought it in-he still was circling overhead,so I killed the trout and tossed it just over the stern -and he came in and scooped it right in front of me-bit of a thrill-and one of the reasons we all go fishing-to enjoy the outdoors[why didn't I bring my camera?]

Gope
05-03-2009, 09:07 AM
eagle eating a red snapper, while fishing in barkly sound last year.
we fed a family of eagles for 3 days with the remains of fish once cleaned

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/gopebavi/P1080147.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/gopebavi/P1080248.jpg

ratherbefishin
05-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Yah,bit of a thrill to see them wild and free isn't it?-circling in,dropping down,flaring,talons extended and picking up the trout right in front of me-memories etched in my mind....

hunterofthedeer
05-03-2009, 03:12 PM
We did the same thing throw a small rainbow back into the water and a big bald eagale swoops down and got a nice easy meal

bridger
05-03-2009, 06:13 PM
when i was in university i worked on a salmon seiner in ketchikan alaska in the summer and several times had eagles grab a salmon out of the seine when were closing up. pretty cool experience

Sasquatch
05-03-2009, 08:28 PM
I love to watch eagles take a fish. I can never seem to have a camera ready at the right instant. Besides, some moments you don't need a camera for, they are just locked into your memory.

vanislehunter1
05-03-2009, 08:33 PM
A few years back, i was with my dad and we were driving on a boat back home, and two eagles swooped directly in front of us, fighting over a salmon. that was one of those moments i'll never forget.

Browningmirage
05-03-2009, 08:46 PM
you know thats not legit right

Browningmirage
05-03-2009, 08:52 PM
"it is unlawful to...

...Waste the fish you catch.
If your fish is not suitable for eating or if
possession is illegal because of quotas,
size limits or closed seasons, return the
fish quickly and gently to the water.

Release fish in a harmful manner
If you are not going to keep your catch. Follow
the catch & release tips outlined on p. 11."

ratherbefishin
05-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Bit of semantics here but I would argue that tossing a trout to an eagle does not qualify as ''wasting'' a fish -especially from the eagles perspective, who was likely feeding it to its young.In fact-''waste'' does not exist in nature-everything is utilized .My only regret is I didn't have my camera

Browningmirage
05-04-2009, 07:05 AM
I would argue you are wrong there. Waste in the regulations refers to waste by humans, and releasing fish in a harmful manner...im pretty sure bonking qualifies

Just wanted you to know that throwing a fish isnt legit. Though it may look cool, it is really not legal. Just so that you know in the future

ratherbefishin
05-04-2009, 09:08 AM
its an interesting point-and technically you are correct-but I would have to ask if giving a trout to an eagle is much diferent than giving a fishhead to your cat.I remember hearing of a case of a hunter that had one duck over his limit claiming he had found it in the marsh and not wanting to see it go to waste ,took it.The CO fined him for being over limit and said there was no such thing as ''waste'' in nature.However-I'm pretty sure I won't be making a practise of feeding eagles my hard earned trout-under any pretext.Actually,the way this guy was circling just 10' overhead-I thought he was ready to drop down and get a fish out of my open fish box.Eagles can be pretty agressive-especially with ospreys-and thats a sight to see as well

Chuck
05-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Where's Solomon when we need him eh?

ratherbefishin
05-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Its an interesting legal point-the fish was legally taken,within my limit-and after killing it, I chose to give it to an eagle.I'm not sure whether that constitutes ''wasting ''it or not.

Browningmirage
05-04-2009, 02:54 PM
I am pretty sure that killing it and then "releasing it" when you threw it back for the eagle to get constitutes harming fish. Nothing is wasted in nature is true, but humans are generally well known for their wastefullness. It is because of this that our footprint on this planet is so large.

There is no legal point, you killed a fish that otherwise would still be swimming, that you had no intention of eating, and even if you did have intentions of eating it, you decided to throw it to an eagle. It is wasted in that it didnt need to be killed, but you did to satisfy your desire for thrill.

Even if you do not consider it wasting (which it is), you cannot deny that you deliberately harmed the fish, which also is against the law.

If in doubt contact the CO or read the legs/regs. I just wanted you to know that it wasnt legit is all. There is no gray area here.

shoot a deer to feed the wolves. A fish is just smaller.

ratherbefishin
05-04-2009, 04:13 PM
yah, you make a valid point when you used the analogy of shooting a deer to feed wolves

7mag700
05-04-2009, 04:24 PM
I had an eagle pick my trout and gang troll right out of the water on Francois Lake once. Got about 25 feet in the air before the hook came out of the fish :biggrin:

7m7

ratherbefishin
05-04-2009, 04:51 PM
actually, thats what I thought it was going to do-grab the trout as I brought it in-and even when I had it in the boat-it was still circling and diving right overhead,I figured it was going to come in and take the trout right out of the fish box-it was pretty agressive,don't know-maybe it had chicks.

Browningmirage
05-04-2009, 05:14 PM
we had an eagle come after a yellow tail rockfish right near the boat, had to release the poor bugger right next to the boat so he would have a chance.

boxhitch
05-04-2009, 09:55 PM
yah, you make a valid point when you used the analogy of shooting a deer to feed wolvesJust for arguement sake, I'll argue that it is not the same. :) Shoot a deer and cut a tag is ok. Fail to remove edible portions is not ok. Feeding dangerous game is not ok.

Hooking a fish as part of a daily bag limit is ok. No regs about what has to be done with the meat. Reel in a black spawner thats bleeding and no one says it has to go into the cooler.

If wasting was really an issue, harass/catch/torment/release could be argued against too.

As kids we used to net Shiners just to feed to the gulls.

Interesting to ponder........

One Shot
05-04-2009, 10:08 PM
we had an eagle come after a yellow tail rockfish right near the boat, had to release the poor bugger right next to the boat so he would have a chance.

I dunno, but by your statement I think you are admitting to illegally interfering with a legal hunt on part of the eagle. Its my understanding that you cannot interfer with a legal hunt here in BC, it is an provincial offence.:biggrin:

drakfero
05-05-2009, 03:07 AM
I hate crows chasing them.. such a nice animal this eagle

ratherbefishin
05-05-2009, 05:51 AM
how the game laws are subject to interpretation-story goes of a woman who was charged with not having a fishing licence because she was in a boat with fishing tackle[although not fishing-she was just out for a row]She then charged the CO with rape-not because he was raping her-but because he was ''in possession of the tackle''

CanuckShooter
05-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I caught this shot during a 5 mile stalk by this eagle, every time we had a rainbow on he would attempt to steal it.

mrdoog
05-08-2009, 10:02 PM
how the game laws are subject to interpretation-story goes of a woman who was charged with not having a fishing licence because she was in a boat with fishing tackle[although not fishing-she was just out for a row]She then charged the CO with rape-not because he was raping her-but because he was ''in possession of the tackle''

Sorry; but that is a poor telling of a lame joke.

ratherbefishin
05-10-2009, 06:10 AM
I was out again yesterday-this time the eagle was harrassing an osprey for HIS fish[not sure if that is a violation or not-maybe ''theft'' or harrassment of an individual enguaged in the legal pursuit of game]The same eagle was going after goslings as well-I think they may have chicks and that is the reason why they are so agressive trying to get food.But whatever-its pretty spectacular-and makes me realise what we take for granted every time we go out is actually rarely seen by most people