PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear Problem

bc sportsman
05-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Got a problem with a couple bears coming on my property. Unfortunately, I'm urban with a park behind me. No hunting/shooting and greenpeacers all around me. Kids living next door to me including a one year old so worried about the bears attacking them as well.

The bears (medium sized and at other times, a smaller sized bear) coming on my property to eat the grass and dandelions. Bear bangers will eventually become a problem in the summer (yes...they are here all year round) as the bush gets really dry and don't want to burn my house down.

Bears aren't running away anymore. Not scared by pot bagging and yelling, throwing rocks etc. Worried that my dog might not intimidate the bigger bear and might even decide to take him on. I've set him off after the smaller ones with good success.

So...I was thinking of getting my trusty AR34 bow and stick on a cheap arrow with a blunt tip (the flat, rubber type used to knock down small game like rabbits called the Bludgeon screw in point) and nail the sucker.

Obviously, from a safe location in case I piss him off.

Your thoughts???

vanislehunter1
05-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Try an air horn, that'll get 'em outta there quick. 8-)

husky30-06
05-01-2009, 11:34 PM
hey..... just a thought........ what do you think about useing a paintball gun? i have been hit with one of those, they could work as a non lethal deterant without being dangerous to the public. i was thinking of useing it for a tom cat that has been claiming ownership of my truck the last while.... stinky *******!!!!!!

outdoorsman812
05-01-2009, 11:49 PM
a sling shot with a marble or ball bearing outa work fairly well, done it to a few moose in the haystack

shoot to kill
05-01-2009, 11:55 PM
put on a broadhead, you will get better results.

stalker
05-01-2009, 11:56 PM
So...I was thinking of getting my trusty AR34 bow and stick on a cheap arrow with a blunt tip (the flat, rubber type used to knock down small game like rabbits called the Bludgeon screw in point) and nail the sucker.

Obviously, from a safe location in case I piss him off.

tried exactly that on a couple of bulls one time, it worked on the first one but just pissed the second one off.

Gateholio
05-02-2009, 12:28 AM
If you can get close to them, hose them down with bear spray

hunter1947
05-02-2009, 05:31 AM
Try to get a starting gun the type they use for sports to start a race ,this might work for you..

Walksalot
05-02-2009, 06:04 AM
To use any kind of aggressive tactics could result in a big mess. If you aggravate the bear and it attacks someone then you could be in a liable action nightmare. Let the professionals(conservation officers) deal with it.

I used to manage a farm which had bear problems every fall and all complaints to the correct officials fell on deaf ears. A new person took over managing the farm and this person was not fond of bears. As with me all complaints fell on deaf ears. Not until this person brought in the media and exposed the threat to public safety was anything done about the problem.

Knobbies
05-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Remember those bear incidents in Port Moody last year (or maybe year before?) I heard the lady that got her head bit had actually aggravated it by throwing rocks at it when it went into her yard.

Don't know if air horn idea would work either -- these Coquitlam bears don't seem to react to noise. Couple years ago I watched 3 of them sitting on the edge of the soccer field in mundy park. 2 guys on dirt bikes were tearing back and forth on the trail not 20 yds from them and they didn't bat an eye.

scallywag
05-02-2009, 07:20 AM
get a paintball gun and unload on them. ever watch dog the bounty hunter i wonder where a guy can get those pepper balls.

moosinaround
05-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Let your CO's, or local police take care of it! Habituated bears usually need to be destroyed! Moosin

bc sportsman
05-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks guys...the bigger bear has been 'huffing' at me whenever I throw something at him. I'm not happy with doing that as I have to get relatively close to chuck a big enough rock to make an impression.

Same with bear spray...have a dog that would not be happy when he wanders into the sprayed area.

Paint ball gun sounds good...could shoot from my doorstep and take cover if he gets pissed. Same with the bow.

I understand the point of liability if I piss off the bear and he runs next door. So...I'm going to call the COs on Monday and have a chat.

proguide66
05-02-2009, 10:48 AM
If you can get him up a tree in your yard and terrorise him a bit he wont come back.
Last yr I had one on my porch around 1am...think he was goin for the Q , anyway...jumped outta bed ran out there , he runs up the tree at the end of the porch...went in and got my bow and an old BIG aluminum arrow ( 'apperantly' carbon arrows with no tip still go in the flesh)...anyway...decided to make him wish he NEVER EVER came to my porch ever...started drilling him with the blunt making him think I must be the largest bear ever due to biting him without even having to climb the tree...he's bawling ect...go back to bed...couldnt sleep due to the tree being right beside my bedroom window and subconciously waitting for him to come down again...here he comes...I decide to go give him ONE more bite in the ass...er a few..put on headlamp , grab bow...start nailing him again...I'm in my underware / bare feet..now 230am...nialed him again go to grab my arrow again from underneath him....******* covers me in one hell of a stinky golden shower!!....yes , pissed all over me....lol...anyway....he NEVER came back.......

pupper
05-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Talk to your CO, he might even tell you to put an arrow through em:)

husky30-06
05-02-2009, 10:54 AM
If you can get him up a tree in your yard and terrorise him a bit he wont come back.
Last yr I had one on my porch around 1am...think he was goin for the Q , anyway...jumped outta bed ran out there , he runs up the tree at the end of the porch...went in and got my bow and an old BIG aluminum arrow ( 'apperantly' carbon arrows with no tip still go in the flesh)...anyway...decided to make him wish he NEVER EVER came to my porch ever...started drilling him with the blunt making him think I must be the largest bear ever due to biting him without even having to climb the tree...he's bawling ect...go back to bed...couldnt sleep due to the tree being right beside my bedroom window and subconciously waitting for him to come down again...here he comes...I decide to go give him ONE more bite in the ass...er a few..put on headlamp , grab bow...start nailing him again...I'm in my underware / bare feet..now 230am...nialed him again go to grab my arrow again from underneath him....******* covers me in one hell of a stinky golden shower!!....yes , pissed all over me....lol...anyway....he NEVER came back.......

bloody hell that is funny.....scared the piss right out of him....

Offroad
05-04-2009, 05:27 PM
An old orchardist trick to is to cover a can of raid in honey, peanut butter, etc. Then hang it from a tree with fishing line. When the bear bites into it to remove it. They get a mouthful of raid aren't that keen on coming around again. This doesn't harm the bear just makes him look for better areas.

Fixit
05-04-2009, 05:53 PM
An old orchardist trick to is to cover a can of raid in honey, peanut butter, etc. Then hang it from a tree with fishing line. When the bear bites into it to remove it. They get a mouthful of raid aren't that keen on coming around again. This doesn't harm the bear just makes him look for better areas.

id just use a can of bear spray instead

FLHTCUI
05-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Umm, the paint ball gun sounds good, especially if the paint balls are put in the freezer for an hour or so before being deployed.
Also, I really wouldnt advertise my intentions to the good nieghbours just yet.
Aside from letting them know there are a few bears in the hood.
Huffing is the first step in a charge if memory serves me correct.
Then teeth popping, then ????
Be Safe.
Rob

kgriz
05-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Lots of fun ideas but many could be considered harrassment by idiots, considering other cases where bad practices are "exposed" on this site by people with good intentions I would go the route of calling the CO's BUT stress to them that human life is DEFINITELY in danger and they have no choice but to mitigate the problem; just be sure that there is nothing lying around your property that somebody might interpret as you attracted them or they might try to give you a bill for their visit!

sfire436
05-04-2009, 06:50 PM
From what I can recall you are gonna need a lot larger target for your AR34 there Pops!

T300WSM
05-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Do not shoot a bear with a bludgeon or judo point, both will stick in a bear but may not kill a bear just piss it off. If you have a problem bear you need to take it out or call the co's and let them move it.

bc sportsman
05-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah...I've decided against using the screw-in bludgeon point. I have phoned the neighbour with kids.

Will be reporting to the Village where I live and also the CO if the bear comes back. Bear hasn't been around during the day for the past four days. Hopefully he has found greener pastures.

And sfire436... Ol' Dad is gonna have to show you how to take a moose with a bow this fall when we go out...!!!

Dakota. P
05-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Next time you see him shoot him with frozen paintballs or marbles from the paintball gun. He wont stick around much more. I have also used a pellet gun to stop feeding bears in my yard.

islandboy
05-05-2009, 07:18 AM
To use any kind of aggressive tactics could result in a big mess. If you aggravate the bear and it attacks someone then you could be in a liable action nightmare. Let the professionals(conservation officers) deal with it.

I used to manage a farm which had bear problems every fall and all complaints to the correct officials fell on deaf ears. A new person took over managing the farm and this person was not fond of bears. As with me all complaints fell on deaf ears. Not until this person brought in the media and exposed the threat to public safety was anything done about the problem.

I agree with getting the media involved. It seems counter intuitive, but if enough "bear problems" surface through the media instead of being dealt with (Sh, Sh, & Shut up). The "pseudo-conservationists" will start to look like the twits they are. Every "bear call" to the CO should be followed up with a call to the media. :cool:

steepNdeep
05-05-2009, 07:56 AM
I had a 'problem' bear in my yard last year. I live on a rural acreage where it's legal to shoot them, but trying not to. My bear dog chases most and trees some, but this one little bear just doesn't get it...

I finally bought some rubber blunt broadheads for my compound bow and I've never seen a bear run so fast... I look forward to seeing him again! I hope his memory is short... :lol:

Here's the remedy: http://www.hornesarchery.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12