PDA

View Full Version : spattizzi stone sheep

stonecrazy
05-01-2009, 11:06 PM
I got drawn for 6-20 and was wondering about the area. ive been on a few sheep hunts in 7-b and have found a few rams in my hikes but with this new challenge was looking at getting some headsup about the area. I was thinking about going in mid september but from a couple of other threads im not thinking about going for season opener, probably less gear ill need to bring but finding water might be a problem. any advice or info on the area would be appreciated.

porcupine
05-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Isn't this a little early to be drawn for LEH or am I missing something?
________
hemp marijuana (http://marijuanahemp.com)

bridger
05-01-2009, 11:23 PM
spataziz draws are early in order fof the lucky applicants to better prepare

stonecrazy
05-01-2009, 11:40 PM
You got it found out about it end of feb if i recall corectly, was also drawn for grizz but i made the mestake of checking that stupid little box and got drawn for 7-54 way up mile 475 :( dont think ill be going on that hunt way to far for this guy, and its turnaround time pretty soon, hopefully be welding up a storm.

boxhitch
05-02-2009, 06:57 AM
.......was also drawn for grizz but i made the mestake of checking that stupid little box and got drawn for 7-54 way up mile 475 :( dont think ill be going on that hunt way to far for this guy, ........:-)Oh man, sux to be you . You applied for G Bear and got a draw a whole 6 hours away from home. What an incredible hardship. And in an area of good bears. But then it might be tough to learn info as no one goes there, no pressure. And those steep open slopes would be easier to hunt than the flats of Pink area, but Pink is so much closer.
You have my sympathy.
Better luck with the Spatz draw.....

srupp
05-02-2009, 07:51 AM
hmmm put in and drawn for a coveted G bear tag..while others have been waiting 20 years...should at least make an attempt at using the LEH...but NOT advertise on a hunting site that your gonna waste it...

steven

boxhitch
05-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Besides, you should know the rules. You owe a joke before having a chance of being taken seriously.

stonecrazy
05-02-2009, 10:03 AM
i dont know if any of you have been in the area i was drawn for grizzly but ive worked up in the area it is very flat with muskeg all over, ive talked to the fort nelson co's and they've told me that the area is mostly populated by black bear. i was thinking about going for a trip around maylong to persue my draw but my hunting partner just had a newborn boy and he cant bring himself to jepordize our spatizzi hunt in favor for a hunt which we both have taken bears on. nor can i afford the cost of another bear nuff said. i wish the tag was transferable as im thinking its just going to be waisted, or mabie ill go by myself and hunt some grizzlies. now the thread was about the spatizzi sheep not northern muskeg grizzlies so if anyone has some info on the area and animals in 6-20 their knowledge would be appreciated.

Shade Tree
05-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Actually, you are not alone here; less than half of the people that draw spring bear tags ever bother buying a bear tag. I certainly understand your situation but many hunters place no value on what others consider very coveted.

stonecrazy
05-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I really wish i hadn't checked that little box on the bottem of the draw card, i wont ever do that again as its just a fools erand i think that the moe guys just get a kick out of giving guy's the draw in the farthest most in accessable areas available. it is a shame as i really enjoy bear hunting, and i would have liked to put in for grizz in the spatizzi as thats where all my efforts are going to be focoused come fall. I talked to one of my co friends in kamloops and he guided me in the right direction as far as some reading material. i have all the necessary gear and im hoping that we will see good weather in the spat but finding any knowledge of the area is somewhat hard to come by.

Dale
05-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Good luck getting info, I tried, even before I had a tag. Sheep info is stamped 'Top Secret'. Check out the bc website for trail access. Also check out those hiking forms. Might give you some info on terrain atleast.

stonecrazy
05-02-2009, 02:22 PM
yeah it seems like the only info that im going to get is from my friend mitch and the knowledge that his friends have gathered on their hunts in the area. but you never know and its worth putting the thread out there. i know i would be pretty hesitant to tell anyone about my sheep areas up the highway, but a trade of knowledge might need to be made. Ive got this sweet little honey hole that has about 25 rams that for the last 3 years has proven to be very rewarding one 40" ram one 38" and a heavy broomed 12 year old that was 33"and 36 long side. but its a long QUAD ride in and only 7 km hike but nobody would like to know about that area would they. ;)

GoatGuy
05-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Take the eaglesnest trail and head for the mountains.

The only area that really sees pressure for sheep is right around cartmel. The rest of it is extremely under-utilized.

Good luck.

stonecrazy
05-02-2009, 03:51 PM
right on that was the general area that we were thinking of going to. looks like some pretty gooood sheep hill in them there mountains

BCrams
05-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Take the eaglesnest trail and head for the mountains.

The only area that really sees pressure for sheep is right around cartmel. The rest of it is extremely under-utilized.

Good luck.

Go up Ram Creek off the Eaglenest Trail and hunt the block between there and Bug Lake.

bridger
05-02-2009, 05:15 PM
I dnon't want to hijack this thread so will quickly say the leh system is being reorganized and transferable tags is in the discussion. not transferable but turned in and drawn again

stonecrazy
05-02-2009, 06:38 PM
that would help in situations like mine, it really is a shame that the hunt will more than likely be a waste.

Bowtime
05-02-2009, 09:25 PM
good luck on the Sheep. I'm not willing to give up any tips about sheep but I will say if you want to hunt goat also, there are big goats in that area. Right on cartmel. Hike off the grade. They would have nice coats in sept.

BlacktailStalker
05-02-2009, 09:37 PM
I know SFA about that area but would love to see pics of those rams you talk about.
Best of luck on your hunt.

Ambush
05-03-2009, 02:30 PM
First, about the grizz tag. I beleive that to get you 2nd choice the area has to be under applied for. So if you got a 2nd choice draw, you didn't "take" a tag from anyone. Anybody that put in for a tag in that area already got one on their first choice. So don't feel bad if you don't go. I don't put in for 2nd choice, because I'm not going to go anyway.

Can't help you with the sheep in the park. I hunted the north side of the Stikine from the river one year, but that turned out to be just a ten day camping trip. Saw lots of goats and a few skittish sheep and some moose too far off the river. And one very big old grizzly that just dissappeared after a long stalk.

Good luck, 'cause sometimes that and some sweat is all it takes.

Mik
05-03-2009, 03:23 PM
About the Grizzly Bear issue; I agree with "Ambush"..the MU was under applied for, so for all you guys out there that are cryin' the blues....I guess you now know where to apply. As the season is still around the corner..one never knows and just might be able to sneak out for a weekend. PM Sent.

kgriz
05-03-2009, 04:45 PM
If one is ever really serious about wanting "sheep info" for an area that nobody will talk about you might want to investigate these two items and their relationship to one another:8-)

1. Freedom of Information Act
2. Maps that the x's are put on for compulsory inspections.

Sure some people lie about where they got them exactly but most don't....that would be against the law you know......:eek:

Happy Investigating......Try starting at your local MOE office front desk and ask them about this practice...you may be pleasantly surprised what can be lawfully obtained if the addresses and names are erased first!

stonecrazy
05-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Ill have to look into that but i dont think the pouce coupe inspector will let ppl look at his map, and most of his are inspections are done on animals from mu7 but the moe office might be better source. thanks again:-)

kgriz
05-03-2009, 05:49 PM
The maps are gov't property ( ie. public owned)....once pursued under the freedom of information act they don't really have " a choice" ...thats what is used for....lots of "public information" is often kept "secret" from the public when its actually your right to view it.....they simply have to provide a copy or at least access to the map after all names and addresses etc have been ommitted. It might cost you $30-50 if they are beligerent and you actually have to follow protocol through the act with a formal request etc. but usually it would be provided free once they realize that legally its your right to view it....I especially like this fact as I know that at least some Gov't workers or CI people enjoy having access to this info and sharing it with who they feel deserves it, but this way hands are tied and info becomes available to you regardless of opinions or agendas:biggrin:

stonecrazy
05-03-2009, 06:49 PM
hey just a thought here whats the situation on wolves are they open? i know stupid question right:) but i would hate killing one and then on coming out have problems.

Creeker
05-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Quote"
The maps are gov't property ( ie. public owned)....once pursued under the freedom of information act they don't really have " a choice" ...thats what is used for....lots of "public information" is often kept "secret" from the public when its actually your right to view it.....they simply have to provide a copy or at least access to the map after all names and addresses etc have been ommitted. It might cost you $30-50 if they are beligerent and you actually have to follow protocol through the act with a formal request etc. but usually it would be provided free once they realize that legally its your right to view it....I especially like this fact as I know that at least some Gov't workers or CI people enjoy having access to this info and sharing it with who they feel deserves it, but this way hands are tied and info becomes available to you regardless of opinions or agendas:biggrin:.
-------------------------------
This is Precisely why people lie about where they get their Rams, making the whole system somewhat unreliable for what the Govt. is hoping to get out of such a map.

stonecrazy
05-04-2009, 11:53 AM
I just went to the moe building in fsj today and they said that they couldn't release the map or copys of it to ANYbody, but they dont have map for region 6 anyhow. but from the sounds of the guy at the moe he was reluctant to devulge any information. I asked him if they could release it after the hunter names and adresses were erased and he kind of hummed and hawed, but he did give me the name of the fellow in terrace that works in the moe office so i guess ill try there, not that it really matters i think ive narowed down the area that we are going to try and have a pretty good idea on when to go so it will just be confrimation thats all.

Creeker
05-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Let me now if you get a copy of the Stone Sheep Harvest map. I cant really see them releasing it, but who knows. It is government.

kgriz
05-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Hey, I didn't claim that you'd make any friends following this....I just provided some small insight into how the system works and what is the law....funny how so many on this sight live and die by what is "the law" until you expose one thats controversial and they don't agree with.
And no.....if you lie on purpose as to where you harvest an animal, you're just lying ....lots of hunters will see the info anyways...don't kid yourself.

kgriz
05-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Apparently, each ministry office will have a designated Freedom of Information Act "officer" that deals with these requests. You can probably even put in a requst online but it has to be directed to the regional office in question. I've never actually done a request for this purpose but I did some investigating on this process when somebody really ticked me off being cliquey about sheep hunting and their endless supply of "secret info". On a lighter note the info may not be that helpful anyways as lots of the guys I meet in the mountains couldn't accurately put an x on a map where they killed something anyways;-)

whitetailsheds
05-04-2009, 07:27 PM
On a lighter note the info may not be that helpful anyways as lots of the guys I meet in the mountains couldn't accurately put an x on a map where they killed something anyways;-)

That, or before a FOI request is put thru, all the little pointy arrows on the map "fall off" when the door to the bathroom gets slammed!

stonecrazy
05-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Well im going to try and c how far I get:roll: i guess only time will tell. I doubt the info is really going to do any good but one never knows.

Deadshot
05-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Well im going to try and c how far I get:roll: i guess only time will tell. I doubt the info is really going to do any good but one never knows.

Why don't you put some boot leather/sweat on the ground & c how far you get. Time WILL tell.

BCbillies
05-04-2009, 08:10 PM
but he did give me the name of the fellow in terrace that works in the moe office so i guess ill try there.

That's interesting that he mentioned Terrace as the Regional Headquarters is Smithers and that's where I would typically get info. Curious to know who in Terrace has the goods? They use to have a large map on the wall where we would mark our kill locations and they would remain on there for others to see. In the last 8 years or so we mark the location on a laminated map and once the inspector obtains the coordinates he erases it with us present. Perhaps they put all the kill locations on a large map on an annual basis . . . but I am sure that would take some effort for a little looksee. Sheep info is tough to get from MoE staff even if you know them reasonably well.

Krico
05-04-2009, 08:10 PM

Of course the info will do some good - why do you think the guys at the office were being so guarded about it? They don't want to share. The fact is that info gets out. The freedom of information act just means that anyone can get it, not only MOE guys and their buddies.

stonecrazy
05-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Why don't you put some boot leather/sweat on the ground & c how far you get. Time WILL tell.

Ive wore a few boots down in the mountains no need to state the obvious, I just like to be as prepaired as i can get. And im still going to check into the map thing just out of curisoty more than anything.

kgriz
05-04-2009, 08:27 PM
I think the x's do get erased but the GPS co-ordinates are written down. Come on all sorts of people get the info anyways through their work or volunteering. Lots of people know a bush pilot, air medic, gov't worker, forester etc that has info and time in the air to find animals ......and then do SOME exploring and maybe are successful and then preach how all of their knowledge was learned through blood sweat and worn-out boots....Please, use what info is available....what's wrong with that?

Creeker
05-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I totally agree with the fact that the MOE guys and buddies are getting the info anyways so all should be able to view the information.

All I said is most guys are not going to a Taxidermy shop here in Pouce Coupe and tell the inspector a seasoned sheep hunter and his buddies there sheep spot. Call it what you will but when the govt farmed out the inspections alot more of the truthful sheep harvest info ( IMHO) went with it.
As for most people not being able to show on a map where they harvested, you could be right there. I know i day dream on G-earth frequently about our sheep journies :).

kgriz
05-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I guess since the CI'ers probably get paid very little if at all they should get some benefit.....mostly I like watching the faces of the people that I'm dealing with for stuff like this drop when they realize that the info that is supposedly so prized is about to walk out the door; and I mean more than just CI maps....all sorts of information about gov't meetings and notes is available by using the FOI Act and one can often catch people quite by surprise by using this method if a dispute is involved.8-)

stonecrazy
07-14-2009, 10:33 PM
well i kind of gave up on the ci maps for the time being but will persue more after the hunt is completed. still waiting on the leh outcome to c if we are flying in both ways or just a one way trip. Ive started to get things packed already as its only a month and half away. any pointers on what kind of weather to expect come mid september? ive seen it plus 20 and blue skies but ive only been in the mountains north of fsj so not to sure what to expect farther east. should be picking up my new spotting scope by the end of the week pretty excited about that. time to retire the vortex and try a real piece of optics. anyhow any incite would be appreciated.

boxhitch
07-14-2009, 11:06 PM
any pointers on what kind of weather to expect come mid september? ive seen it plus 20 and blue skies but ive only been in the mountains north of fsj so not to sure what to expect farther east. should be picking up my new spotting scope by the end of the week pretty excited about that. time to retire the vortex and try a real piece of optics. anyhow any incite would be appreciated.
First off, east of FSJ is Alberta.
Second, disappointed you couldn't come through with new info from Spatsizi.
say la vee, maybe next year.

CoqTrophys
07-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Hate to say it but there is a WHOLE lot of land between FSJ and Alberta

Smokepole
07-15-2009, 12:00 AM
still waiting on the leh outcome to c if we are flying in both ways or just a one way trip. any pointers on what kind of weather to expect come mid september? ive seen it plus 20 and blue skies but ive only been in the mountains north of fsj so not to sure what to expect farther east. anyhow any incite would be appreciated.

You might want to check on the condition of the road in to the rail grade, i heard this spring that the river was washing it away again. In mid September you will need to be prepared for snow and subzero temps.

Buck
07-15-2009, 12:22 AM
I was there in mid sept and the weather changed constantly Sunny Rainy hot cool never snowed but imagine it could.Flying in or hiking in?

stonecrazy
07-15-2009, 08:21 AM
k sorry guy posted late last night and messed up my words again ;-) ive never hunted farther west of wiliston. and dont know what to expect being closer to the ocean that was how i ment to phrase my post;);-)

stonecrazy
07-15-2009, 08:28 AM
left some out of above mesg.

we have flight booked for the trip in but depending if we get drawn for goat or boo then we'll fly both ways sheep only fly in hike out thats the plan as it sits right now. i only wish the ppl at moe leh office would hurry up with their long process its like the night before christmas and all through the province not a hunter was sleeping.

stonecrazy
07-16-2009, 07:33 PM
well looks like we are flying in and out this year but thank you to all ppl who have given advice on this topic and suggestions on gear. it looks like its going to be a memorable hunt one that i will never forget! now the waiting game until we start the most awsomeist adventure