PDA

View Full Version : Dvd Questions

leadpillproductions
05-01-2009, 08:18 AM
In A Hunting Dvd Would You Guys Like To See A Mix Big Game Bag Or Just All The Same Kind Of Animal Im Not Sure What Im Going To Do Just Bear Or Mix Bag This Year Let Me Know What You Guys Like To Watch

Ron.C
05-01-2009, 08:27 AM
When I buy a hunting DVD, I am buying it want to watch a specific game animal being hunted. I don't want to spend $20 on a DVD to see a good portion of it full of "filler" hunts that don't interest me too much.

hunter1947
05-01-2009, 08:36 AM
I would keep all animals separate ,when I buy a DVD I am looking for advice on hunting this one animal not others.

leadpillproductions
05-01-2009, 08:37 AM
If i do a mix bag it will have bear moose elk sheep cougar in it also nov deer

leadpillproductions
05-01-2009, 08:38 AM
im think im leaning more of one animal not the mix bag

Kody94
05-01-2009, 09:39 AM
It totally depends. I like both. Some single species videos can get pretty darn boring too.

todbartell
05-01-2009, 12:19 PM
biggest thing is - the video cannot suck balls

Johnnybear
05-01-2009, 12:23 PM
DVD question.........................when's will it be released?:razz::D.

jrjonesy
05-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I like both...but... personally because I really only hunt for big game, if I'm watching a big game video, I'm not interested in having turkey hunts or duck hunts thrown in.....not that you find that much in DVD's.

Geo.338
05-01-2009, 12:35 PM
I prefer to watch single species videos but I think that it is tough to get enough substance in a single season or trip to make a decent vid .So unless you are hunting Elk or Moose and are calling in alot of animals that you either pass up or don't get a shot at you may want to make a combo.

I enjoy absolutely every aspect of the hunt ,but my favorite part is that time from when I first see or hear one up until the moment I squeeze the trigger .After that it is still exciting but not quite as the time leading up to it .

If you are going on a mixed bag hunt by all means make a combo vid and also include some of the other aspects like the fishing and birdhunting and the social and humorous side of things.And the not so humorous things .Like when you are busy videoing instead of humping out 1/4s and your partners get pissy ....... Wait those were my partners .Get a camera like Rock Doctor and you will be golden .

Good luck and I can't wait for the feature presentation .

leadpillproductions
05-01-2009, 05:12 PM
i have a pro video camera allready i do have some hunts down on film from last year and im going to do my best to release the dvd this fall

dana
05-01-2009, 05:20 PM
If you are filming hunts this fall, you'll be hard pressed to have the dvd out by Christmas. If you want to put out a well polished product, editing and post production is very time consuming. You could probably have er released by next bear season.

Jelvis
05-01-2009, 05:34 PM
If your doing it for fortune or don't care just want to see others get some sort of kicks and learn a little would be why you would care about it. So which would it be, money, or just something to help one or two people see some stuff you did?
I'm still laughing at Tod's post that was funny go back and read that, lol.
If it's for money and sales do seperate ones and you'll see which one is popular and so forth imo. just my opion if I was going to do it.
Jel-

pupper
05-01-2009, 06:02 PM
biggest thing is - the video cannot suck balls
haha thats for sure. Ive seen my fair share of doosies.

pupper
05-01-2009, 06:07 PM
If you are filming hunts this fall, you'll be hard pressed to have the dvd out by Christmas. If you want to put out a well polished product, editing and post production is very time consuming. You could probably have er released by next bear season.

It took me 10 months of filming raw and studio footage, editing, graphic design, web design, cover design, and fixing mistakes to finally complete my project. It was a lot of work and I had 2 book editors, 1 video editor, 1 graphic designer, and 1 web designer. SO to do it right you might have to involve others to get the quality you want, and that takes a lot of time.

huntwriter
05-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Leadpillproductions - Having been involved in the production of videos and TV shows and having been a presenter of my own TV show until a few years ago, here is my take on video and production.

Every successful video starts out with a script. Having a script will save you time and money in the long run. A script also will be invaluable in the editing and final production room where you will have to go through miles of footage until your head starts to spin. A script will keep you focused. A good script will also guide you through the filming process. It should include locations, camera angles, scenic layout and even the text for the hunter’s conversation or comments.

For a video to be successful it has to have, like an article, a lead, body and foot. The lead-in has to be strong and capture the viewer’s interest and tell him what the video is about. The body is the story you’re telling. The foot is a summarization and conclusion “If you do as we showed in the vide you will…”. The foot is as important as the lead-in. It has to be strong because that is what the viewer will remember the video by.

As has been pointed out by Dana, producing a video is very time consuming. Most folks have no clue how much work is involved. The productions I was involved in took on average 1 ½ to 2 years to complete and they where all top rate.

We spent on average 150 days filming, of that about 60 hours where actual hunting the rest was filming fillers. Fillers are everything from scenic shots, walking to the treestand to whispering “Here he comes”, scouting, driving, talking, looking for dead deer and so on. Fillers are important. I repeat. NO video or TV production can do without fillers. Unless you just film different hunts of different species and then line them up on a video. But such videos are NEVER going to be successful, at least from what I have witnessed.

The best videos cover one or two species. Above all they are entertaining to watch and pass on knowledge, in that order. You can produce a very educational video. If it is not entertaining nobody will watch to the end.

In summarizing my long post.

Think about what you want to say with your video. Then write a script, very important. I use to write all my own scripts and would not sign a contract until that stipulation was written down. That’s how important I think a script is.
Take your time with filming. Think quality not quantity. Having said that, shoot lots of footage from different angles and fillers. For a twenty-minute video you need about 15 hours of film footage. Edit ruthlessly, if it doesn’t look right it probably isn’t. If the exposure is wrong don’t include it. One badly exposed sequence can ruin an otherwise perfect video.

If you’re not familiar with editing and postproduction it might be advisable to seek professional help as Puuper pointed out. You might also want to hire a narrator unless you have somebody in your family or a friend that can speak flawlessly English with a good understandable voice. You also want to think about music. Never underestimate music. Many good videos have been totally ruined by choosing the wrong music. Hip-Hop, Rap and Blue Grass just don't cut it with most viewers.

If you want to do this for a living and stay in that business you got to do it right from the start. There are hundreds of video production out there and all want a large piece of a very small cake, you need to be better then the rest to succeed in this very though business.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Johnnybear
05-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Wow that sound likes some solid advice right there leadpill and it's free:mrgreen:.

Good post and help as always Hw:smile:!