PDA

View Full Version : How good is good enough?

XMD70
04-28-2009, 10:02 PM
I just bought my first bow (Diamond Razor Edge 30-60#) Plan on practicing from now till the fall. So far, lots of fun and I've only broken one arrow! My question is, how good do I need to be to consider hunting with my bow? I'm guessing max range for me ever would be 30 yards. How small of a group should I be able to shoot consistently at 20 or 30 yards before I should feel confident to hunt with my new toy?

brotherjack
04-29-2009, 08:57 AM
I'd feel pretty confident if I was shooting down around 3 inches at 30 yards. And like you, 30 yards is what I would consider a rather long shot with archery tackle. 25 yards or less is what I try to achieve in the field, with the understanding that if I guestimate that deer at 25 yards and he's really 30 -- that deal should still turn out OK.

:)

Ron.C
04-29-2009, 09:00 AM
This is just my opinion and what I do, but with broadhead tipped arrows I like to shoot a small spot target and go for consistant groups no larger than
2" at 20 yards
3" at 30 yards
4" at 40 yards

But if your just starting out, just worry about getting deadly accurate with your 20 yard pin. I mean to the level that your so confident on the broadhead target that you know every arrow will be in the kill, and any arrow in your quiver will shoot within a nice tight group.

Once you are there, then start stretching it out to 30. Get just as confident at 30, then go to 40.

You may find for your first year of bowhunting, with an honest reality check, you may only be hunting at ranges of 20 yards with a compound. It's a common mistake by new bowhunters" I was guilty of this" of having only so so accuracy at 20-25 yards and set a pin for 30, 40 yards "just in case" when you have no buisness shooting at game that far. There's no worse feeling than watching a gut shot deer run off, especially when you know you didn't have the skills to be shooting that far in the first place.

Another good way to build your confidence and measure your ability is to shoot at a 3d target. Shoot at from all shot angles "including treestands if you'll be hunting from one" and from the ranges you think your ready to hunt at. You'll find out really fast if you are ready to hunt animals at the ranges you are practicing from and if you consisteny is there.

Lastly, It's alot easier to hit a foam or 3d target then it is to make the same shot on a live animal. Once nerves, jitters, adrenaline all kick in, your shooting ability will most likely suffer a bit.

Bow Walker
04-29-2009, 09:08 AM
XMD70 - Ron has hit it. If you follow that advice and practice until you can get groups like that, you'll be ready to hunt. It'll then be up to the game animals(s) to present you with a decent shot opportunity.

AND. Waiting for that decent opportunity is/will be the hardest thing you've done. When it's up-close-and-personal like it gets with archery, the biggest temptation is to shoot too soon.

Wild one
04-29-2009, 09:22 AM
RonC is giving you really good advice I would take it.The only things I will add is stick to broad side or slight quartering away shots as you will have less chance of error and shooting small game makes for great practice. Warning bow hunting can be more addicting than crack.

jrjonesy
04-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Lastly, It's alot easier to hit a foam or 3d target then it is to make the same shot on a live animal. Once nerves, jitters, adrenaline all kick in, your shooting ability will most likely suffer a bit.

Ron C has an excellent post and I also think that his last point is key.

One of the ways to overcome those nerves, jitters and adrenalin (and the fact that sometimes you quit thinking in that situation) is to practicing for your form. You may shoot for a month and in that time be capable of shooting quite small groups. The key is to always keep shooting. Your groups may not get significantly smaller but if you're practicing good form, that muscle memory will be absolutely key when it comes to the moment of truth and you forget to think about all the things you should be doing to make a good shot.
Because close range opportunities come along less frequently, I think you'll may get surprised by the additional level of excitement, and will be thankful to have good shooting form come naturally.

The Hermit
04-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Yep I like what Ron is saying too but I wouldn't personally shoot at live animals beyond 30 yards as in my experience there are just too many things that can happen in the field to screw up the shot... an unseen twig, the deer/bear/elk move slightly, wind, etc etc.

I am starting my third season bowhunting this weekend with a bear hunt. Last season I switched to traditional equipment and even though I practice two - three times a week I have set 15 to 20 yards as my max range this year. I hope to get good enough to stretch that out to 20-25 next year.

Bighorn hunter
04-29-2009, 04:19 PM
I like to say, Good enough is seldom good, and never enough

Big Lew
04-29-2009, 07:52 PM
A great many "hitting the nail on the head" answers for you; about the only thing I could add is....when your very first shot each practice session hits exactly where you aimed, regardless of the range, or from what angle, then you are ready.

XMD70
04-29-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm beginning to think I have many hours of practice in front of me. Maybe some laser eye surgery too. Or perhaps I should just sneak up on the critters and whack them with my axe.

Onesock
04-29-2009, 10:12 PM
If you think it maybe too far it surely will be too far. If you have to ask yourself the question you probably won't like the answer. Point being, if you have any doubt's, don't shoot. Shooting distances vary from shooter to shooter. What maybe a comfortable shot for 1 hunter maybe too far for another. Don't shoot unless you are 100% confident in your shot hitting where you want!

Bow Walker
04-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Add what Big Lew pointed out to RonC's post and have fun practicing. If practice isn't enjoyable you'll never get any better.

Go get a big one this season!

04-30-2009, 09:34 AM
I have been shooting my bow(s) for a little over a year now, so am a relative newby, and have a couple other suggestions. First, do some practicing at long distances (50-60 yards). Lots of fun, plus that kind of practice makes 20 yards seem close...almost a "chip" shot. Secondly, shoot a round of 3-d with your local club. Don't worry about being competative, but just use the experience as a barometer of your ability to judge distance and place killing shots. I recently attended my first 3-d shoot, and out of 30 targets, only two would not have been killing shots. It was a great confidence booster...plus great fun.

sawmill
04-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Man I envy you!I`ve blown my shoulder out so I can`t draw a bow anymore but when I did shoot it was addictive!I loved to shoot longer range for fun and one thing I found a blast was shooting baloons(4 in. diameter) tacked to the target.More bang for the buck.As for when is good enough.........never.:biggrin:If you only wrecked one arrow you got to keep it up till you start being scared to shoot more than 3 at a target.Tight groups are great with a rifle but it gets damn expensive with arrows!Good luck and good Hunting!

Ron.C
04-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Man I envy you!I`ve blown my shoulder out so I can`t draw a bow anymore but when I did shoot it was addictive!

Sawmill, I have no idea what is the extent of your injury, but have you ever considered shooting with the other hand? I mean if you shoot a right handed bow, have you tried switching to a left handed bow? The old editor of Bowhunter Magazine, Dwight Schuh, had a severe right shoulder injury and couldn't draw a bow without alot of pain. There was a big article on it some time ago in Bowhunter. After some medical treatment, he switched to a left handed bow, re-learned how to shoot starting with a lower poundage bow, and cut his teeth/built his confidence as left handed archer by taking a doe. He has since went onto take some impressive archery trophy animals as a lefty.

Also, there's always the crossbow option as I know there are aids out there that assist in cocking so your not pulling the shoulders from the sockets.

tactical308
05-01-2009, 10:13 AM
(2" at 20 yards
3" at 30 yards
4" at 40 yards) wrong way around....

4" at 20 yds
3" at 30 maybe
2" at 40 yds
If you think about it, the animal is smaller at 40 yds
Aim small and you will miss less, but just shooting at the animal is half the problem, then theres terrain to consider and how much you shack....:shock:

In my 35 years of Bow hunting its just my 2 cents worth.....

jrjonesy
05-01-2009, 12:35 PM
(2" at 20 yards
3" at 30 yards
4" at 40 yards) wrong way around....

4" at 20 yds
3" at 30 maybe
2" at 40 yds
If you think about it, the animal is smaller at 40 yds
Aim small and you will miss less, but just shooting at the animal is half the problem, then theres terrain to consider and how much you shack....:shock:

In my 35 years of Bow hunting its just my 2 cents worth.....

The original quote was talking about group size. I don't know a lot of people that can shoot a 2" group at 40 yards but only manage a 4" group at 20 yards. Aiming small is totally the right way to go (as you say) but it's only natural for a group size to increase as the distance from the target increases. The deer isn't smaller at 40 yards, he just looks smaller. His 8 inch vital zone is still 8 inches.

tactical308
05-01-2009, 07:49 PM
The original quote was talking about group size. I don't know a lot of people that can shoot a 2" group at 40 yards but only manage a 4" group at 20 yards. Aiming small is totally the right way to go (as you say) but it's only natural for a group size to increase as the distance from the target increases. The deer isn't smaller at 40 yards, he just looks smaller. His 8 inch vital zone is still 8 inches.

Come on now are you telling me there are people out there hunting with a Bow and can't put a 2inch group together at 40 yds.:eek: Whats this world coming too. I know 8 inches is 8 inches but when your looking through a sight it sure looks like less, the thing I was trying to point out was strive to shoot 2 inch groups at 60 yds then you will know your ready for the big shot when it's in front of you.:wink:

bugler
05-01-2009, 07:54 PM
A deer's vital area is roughly 8 inch diameter when he is broadside. Just to be extra safe make a 6 inch target and practise at 20 yards until you can hit it 9 out of 10, with the first shot being most important. If you can do that you are ready to bowhunt, provided you practise with your broadheads to ensure they fly properly. Just limit your shots to 20 yards. To extend your effective range you simply have to be able to duplicate the 9 for 10 in the 6 inch circle at that range. If you're not confident of the range don't shoot. Take the opportunity to practise at 3-D every chance you get.

If 20 yards is your limit don't let that keep you at home. Most of the critters I've killed have been 20 yards or less, even though my own effective range would be twice that.

kgriz
05-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Bugler, my thoughts exactly.....its nice to shoot miniscule groups but not required considering the actual kill area size...I'd like to actually see these mighty shooters in action. Oh and a rangefinder with true horizontal distanced capabilities is an invaluable tool unless you shoot instinctively perhaps which you prob won't with the bow mentionned.

tactical308
05-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Ok I will be the one to start......all bow kills .
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww260/tikkatactical308/MyDeer001.jpg
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww260/tikkatactical308/MyDeer002.jpg
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww260/tikkatactical308/MyDeer003.jpg
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww260/tikkatactical308/MyDeer004.jpg

and yes I spent a number of years 3D shooting ,it was well worth it.:biggrin:

BlacktailStalker
05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
IF those arent farm bucks thats a nice bow kill collection.

Bow Walker
05-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Bugler, my thoughts exactly.....its nice to shoot miniscule groups but not required considering the actual kill area size...I'd like to actually see these mighty shooters in action. Oh and a rangefinder with true horizontal distanced capabilities is an invaluable tool unless you shoot instinctively perhaps which you prob won't with the bow mentionned.
Attend a 3D shoot or two and you'll see these shooters and their small groups.

sawmill
05-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Hi Ron C,I actually did try left hand but I am very right eye dominant and I even tried shooting my Browning lever action lefty.I think that side of my brain is under developed.Maybe that`s the side my Mom dropped me on when I was a baby!
Tactical 308,great bucks,specialy the first one!

sawmill
05-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Attend a 3D shoot or two and you'll see these shooters and their small groups.
For sure,we have the running black bear,slides down on a rope and pulley,what a son of a bitch to hit!3 D`s are a blast but bring lots of pointy sticks!:biggrin:

Bowzone_Mikey
05-05-2009, 05:59 PM
well Jesse Broadwater ... one of the best target shooters in the world....shoots 500 arrows each day and still cant hit 9 x-rings in a row at 18 meters in Vegas ..... the winner in the Vegas shoot off shot a 120 7 x (perfect score is 120 12x)

an X ring is 9/16 ...
My goal is 12/12 in that x-ring ... for all other shooting my goal is 1" groups at any distance not matter how my stance is ... like in any hunting situation ... you are either shooting up/down/sideways/backwards around a tree...

my point is there is never a "good enough"
one must set a realistic goal for oneself and work towards that goal ... when one acheives that goal then its time to set a new one ....

One must also realize that if you shoot a group of 3 arrows in a 1" group once doesnt mean you are a 1" shooter...

One must also realize what a 1" group means .... as most in my expiriance do not

kgriz
05-05-2009, 08:16 PM
I knew there would be at least a couple of experts who would yip back...as for my experience I have quite a few gold and silver provincial medals and an invitation to try out for the Canadian National Team back in the day that I actually gave a crap about target shooting....I wouldn't have said any of this if people hadn't have started whipping them out to compare! Of course one should be consistent and compitent but I just meant that being able to shoot a xxx group at xxxx distance doesn't mean crap....what if you're shooting a longbow? Are you gonna shoot at 5m so that this can be achieved? I think not. If you can consistantly put an arrow in the kill zone ON YOUR FIRST SHOT then I say good enough....want to simulate some nerves? Sprint 100m just before you do it

bugler
05-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Kgriz and I are on the same page for sure. You don't have to be perfect to bowhunt. I ain't gonna whip em out to compare because it is way too many photo's. The 4 guys I hunt with the most and I have killed over 100 big game with bow in 20 years, all species, some big, some small. About 70% have been right around 20 yards or closer. Your ability to shoot is but a small piece of the puzzle. There is lots to learn but there is no greater thrill, even after all these years. Know what your effective range is and don't push it, you'll be fine.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-06-2009, 08:29 AM
the point is ..are you good enough to consistantly hit the spot when the pressures on ?... and your heart is thumping louder than the kid down the streets sub box in his honda

huntwriter
05-06-2009, 09:28 AM
the point is ..are you good enough to consistantly hit the spot when the pressures on ?... and your heart is thumping louder than the kid down the streets sub box in his honda

Very good point. Shooting dimes at 50 yards at the range is very different from shooting at a live target at let’s say 30 yards. Being able to shoot long distance accurately at the range is no indicator that you can do the same in a hunting situation.

The advice I give in my bowhunting seminars and classes is that the distance at which you can no longer consistently shoot arrows into a tight group while under stress is your maximum shooting distance. That is not the archery target range but the range you practice shooting under hunting conditions, i.e. shooting from a treestand, kneeling, sitting, uneven ground, running up a hill and so on.

Bow Walker
05-06-2009, 09:42 AM
:idea: I'll bet that kgriz's target experiences and all that practice has served him well when out hunting. :smile:

Being able to concentrate on a small "dime-sized" target, controlling the nerves, and breathing will get you more game than just flinging arrows at the 8" - 12" kill-zone and hoping to hit a lung or the liver and then having a longer trailing job than otherwise.

It's been my experience that the saying of "Pick a Hair and Put It There" is the best advice for aiming at a game animal - no matter how big or small it is.

:!: The fact that you (99% of the time) only get the first shot to do it speaks volumes about practice, practice, and more practice.

So - Shooting 1" groups will help you immensely.:biggrin:

Bowzone_Mikey
05-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Very good point. Shooting dimes at 50 yards at the range is very different from shooting at a live target at let’s say 30 yards. Being able to shoot long distance accurately at the range is no indicator that you can do the same in a hunting situation.

The advice I give in my bowhunting seminars and classes is that the distance at which you can no longer consistently shoot arrows into a tight group while under stress is your maximum shooting distance. That is not the archery target range but the range you practice shooting under hunting conditions, i.e. shooting from a treestand, kneeling, sitting, uneven ground, running up a hill and so on.

Taken from from someone that I bet has never shot in a grand prix or shootoff type situation ...with a crowd of hundreds if not thousands watching with a booming voice on a PA system anouncing each time your opponent smacks an X ..... and triing not to curse because you are hooked up to a live Mic

You-tube search NFAA vegas shootoff and watch the Vids and you might understand what I am saying ....

typical archery here in Canada tho cannot compare ... 99% of us will never expiriance anything like that ....
If you are ever in Vegas in Febuary ...check out the world archery fest ....
the 3D event is fricken awesome too

Beleive me ... Your heart can thump just as hard on the target line as it can in the woods

huntwriter
05-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Taken from from someone that I bet has never shot in a grand prix or shootoff type situation ...with a crowd of hundreds if not thousands watching with a booming voice on a PA system anouncing each time your opponent smacks an X ..... and triing not to curse because you are hooked up to a live Mic

You-tube search NFAA vegas shootoff and watch the Vids and you might understand what I am saying ....

typical archery here in Canada tho cannot compare ... 99% of us will never expiriance anything like that ....
If you are ever in Vegas in Febuary ...check out the world archery fest ....
the 3D event is fricken awesome too

Beleive me ... Your heart can thump just as hard on the target line as it can in the woods

True that and I never implied otherwise. What I did say is that target archery is different from hunting because in a hunting situation you're either perched up a tree on a very small platform, leaning around a tree or bush, sit or kneel on the ground and so on. In hunting situations a bowhunter very rarely will be able to maintain proper full body, as in toe to head, archery stance. Often you’re lucky if you can keep your upper body straight.

Many years ago I guided the Illinois state archery champion on his first deer hunt. Deer stood 20 yards away and he missed high. His words. “Heck this is very different from target archery shooting”. Then he went on about “awkward” shooting positions and not being able to maintain proper archers stance because he stood on a very small platform, wearing bulky clothing that interfered with his bowstring and so on. “You bet bowhunting is different from archery,” I answered. “Now lets practice bowhunting”. A week later he killed his first buck. To make the shoot he had to twist his upper body backwards and he had less than two seconds to aim because the buck was walking right behind his treestand and was about to disappear in some undergrowth.

After that he commented, “I guess from now on I have to have two practice schedules, one for bowhunting and one for competition archery.” I did however, admire the control he had over his nevers and emotions because he was used to performing under stress from shooting at archery competitions. Which to me was a relief as I have guided many hunters that, for some to me unbeknown reason, seem to get the shakes and all emotional when the time comes to put an arrow into a deer.

kgriz
05-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Hah HaH, good to see that the reason I left competative shooting has not changed. I guess the same could apply to this site; however, the 95% good seem to outweigh the 5% "expert". Just when I have had enough here somebody does or says something nice or smart and things seen Ok again;)

Legi0n
05-06-2009, 10:17 PM
ever heard of a guy called Robin Hood? :D

Bowzone_Mikey
05-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Hah HaH, good to see that the reason I left competative shooting has not changed. I guess the same could apply to this site; however, the 95% good seem to outweigh the 5% "expert". Just when I have had enough here somebody does or says something nice or smart and things seen Ok again;)

I see the letters on the screen .. but have no idea of what you are saying

someone asked ..how good is good enough ... the real anser is you are never good enough ... why? because when you stop improving and stop learning you are dead

Onesock
05-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh I don't know about that. There are quite a few dead critters out there that think (if they could) some of us are good enough!!

The Hermit
05-07-2009, 01:41 PM
My old man used to say... "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!" ;-)

Onesock
05-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Hermit- You said that Saturday night. About 50 times!!!!!

kgriz
05-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Sorry I guess I wasn't clear....what I meant was people who receive a question from a beginning archer like " how good do I have to be to go hunting" and digress into talking about shooting in Vegas or what the best target archer does or how many X's or 10's or whatevers one can shoot are the types that made me leave competitive archery; I only yapped about my target history because I suspected that some regulars on the bowhunting portion of the site might question my opinions simply because they might assume that I have no experience. Obviously one should always try to get better but having to shoot groups 10 times smaller than a kill zone before going out is silly.....if one's goal is to go out an kill an animal at about 20 yards I truly do not see any reason why being able to hit a pie-plate sized target consistantly isn't good enough.

huntwriter
05-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Sorry I guess I wasn't clear....what I meant was people who receive a question from a beginning archer like " how good do I have to be to go hunting" and digress into talking about shooting in Vegas or what the best target archer does or how many X's or 10's or whatevers one can shoot are the types that made me leave competitive archery; I only yapped about my target history because I suspected that some regulars on the bowhunting portion of the site might question my opinions simply because they might assume that I have no experience. Obviously one should always try to get better but having to shoot groups 10 times smaller than a kill zone before going out is silly.....if one's goal is to go out an kill an animal at about 20 yards I truly do not see any reason why being able to hit a pie-plate sized target consistantly isn't good enough.

That comment is bang on the dot. Or is it the X? :biggrin: Well said. Of course one should try to improve -that's why we practice- but a bowhunter is just trying to kill a deer not to win a gold medal at the Olympics.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-07-2009, 09:28 PM

of course .. but a pie plate at 20 yards ... if you hit the outside edge of that pieplate on a deer ... chances are very good that you will miss vital area

I was going off about about setting reasonable goals and acheiving them .... how good is good enough is a personal thing ...just like ethics

jrjonesy
05-07-2009, 09:37 PM
kgriz, Let me first say that I totally hear what you are saying. When I started bowhunting in the mid 80's, shooting fairly new technology( an eccentric cam with fingers) the prevailing advise given by most of the experts was..." hit a pie plate 5 out of 6 times at 25 yards and don't shoot outside that distance...the first shot is the most important." That makes sense and at that time with that equipment, it required a fair amount of practice.

I think if you're using similar equipment or traditional equipment that still makes sense.....but.....the original poster noted his equipment and it is modern technology. With a release and that equipment, if he is not grouping in at least 4 inches at 20 yards then I would submit that he would have potentially serious form problems or has not practiced nearly enough. Things that will come back to haunt him in a hunting situation. I would think that the majority of people could take the equipment he has and inside a week hit a pie plate at 20 yards 5 out of 6 times. In my opinion that doesn't make them ready to go after big game. Today's modern equipment makes it much easier to shoot smaller groups so I think the standard (to ensure practice and form) has to be increased.

The Hermit
05-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Hermit- You said that Saturday night. About 50 times!!!!!

Like father like son! He was a lying bas-tard too! LOL

kgriz
05-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Practice more because the new equipment makes it easier these days?????
Dead is dead, be it in the 80's or now. Hitting in the lungs is hitting in the lungs no matter what...if it takes less practice now then so be it. As for form...well if you can consistently hit then thats it, as long as you can do it consistently....that your form is textbook or not matters little to the end result if you are simply trying to kill something. And yes I too purchased a new bow recently and was pleasantly surprised how it improved my accuracy ,especially at longer distances but once I feel that I can connect into the kill zone at the distances I want then good......you keep shooting paper, I'm going hunting!!!

kgriz
05-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Oh and along that note....as for hitting "the edge of the pieplate", maybe with my longbow this is the case, but with my new bow at 70 lbs I've seen that being a bit forward and hitting a shoulderblade ( a disaster in the old days) the arrow barely slows down on a deer and blows right through....not something I would strive for obviously,but one needs to take the new technology into account when quoting amount of practice required and shot placement, max distance etc.

05-07-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm all for practicing as much as I can...mostly because it is just so much fun. I think that stacking arrows as 20, 30, 40 yards, etc is great, however, the same levels of accuracy required in competition, are not likely required with hunting. Unlike competition, where you can score a 10x, 10, 8, 5, etc, with hunting the animal is either dead or not dead (or recovered). There are no degrees of deadness. A perfect heart shot is awesome, but a high double lung will kill too.
I shot my first buck last fall, and hit it high. I actually spined the thing, and believe me...he didn't go far. I fully intended to place a picture perfect double lung arrow, but things happen. Regardless, his meat was in my freezer and antlers on my wall.

XMD70
05-07-2009, 11:01 PM
I started this thread and I've really appreciated the input from everyone. Had the bow for a couple of weeks now, and having lots of fun practicing. Haven't missed the target in a while, and grouping about 4 inches at 20 yards right now. Still only busted one arrow so far! I figure by fall I'll be ready! This little bow Diamond Razor Edge) is the first I've ever owned. How much difference would I notice with a more expensive (higher quality?) one?

Bowzone_Mikey
05-08-2009, 04:03 AM
the razor is a good lil' bow

Honestly if you are just starting out you dont know what you are looking for in a high end bow (By that I mean I doubt as a newbie you have the expiriance to know and feel Vibes,etc...) higher end in the Diamond /Bowtech line you would see a little more speed , Do you have the Invelvet coating on the Razor? generally a little more customizable in the higher end .... If all yer doing is hunting ... that Razor will do ya right for a long time

The Hermit
05-08-2009, 07:54 AM
I started this thread and I've really appreciated the input from everyone. Had the bow for a couple of weeks now, and having lots of fun practicing. Haven't missed the target in a while, and grouping about 4 inches at 20 yards right now. Still only busted one arrow so far! I figure by fall I'll be ready! This little bow Diamond Razor Edge) is the first I've ever owned. How much difference would I notice with a more expensive (higher quality?) one?

No doubt with that bow and regular practice you will be ready to go in the fall but as suggested elsewhere above it is HIGhLY advisable to attend a couple 3-D shoots this summer. In 3-D you will get a better approximation of what it is like to shoot from all kinds of different positions, stances, etc. If you don't already own one then I would also consider buying and practicing from a treestand as you will no doubt give that a try during the season. They are killing platforms for sure but take a little getting used to!!

Have fun and good luck! Keep us posted on your stories and success! Cheers

jrjonesy
05-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Practice more because the new equipment makes it easier these days?????

What I was suggesting was that if you practice the SAME amount as was necessary with older equipment, you should be able to shoot much smaller groups. It makes very little sense to me to advise someone new to bowhunting that they should start flinging arrows at deer after a weeks practice, because I'm pretty sure that that's all it takes to shoot to the standard you are suggesting.

XMD70, good for you for putting in the practice...I hope you're enjoying it like the rest of us do. Like others said, take in a 3d...they're a blast.

kgriz
05-10-2009, 03:03 PM
You're pretty jaded if you consider hitting a kill-sized target consistantly at 20 m or greater " flinging arrows" in the arena of " bowhunting and successfully killing an animal". He didn't say he wanted to practice until he is as good as some "veterans" on here shooting targets or 3D, he wanted to get an idea of what would be the minimum required to ethically chase an animal or at least thats my take on "good enough". For that matter he's hardly a knees-shaking beginner hunter.......from what I've heard from his nephew ( my hunting partner by the way )....he's killed more moose than 95% of us.:shock:

jrjonesy
05-11-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm not quite sure how I come off as jaded. He himself said he's already shooting 4 inch groups at 20 yards. I think my comments were pretty reasonable.

I also never suggested he was a new hunter but rather a new bowhunter.

If you want to keep advising people to practice the minimal amount to be "just" good enough then be my guest. Personally, I think we can do better.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-11-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm not quite sure how I come off as jaded. He himself said he's already shooting 4 inch groups at 20 yards. I think my comments were pretty reasonable.

I also never suggested he was a new hunter but rather a new bowhunter.

If you want to keep advising people to practice the minimal amount to be "just" good enough then be my guest. Personally, I think we can do better.

Well Stated

J_T
05-11-2009, 05:35 PM
I recognize the question was about accuracy, but after 6 pages of discussion I would hope we realize that each situation is different.

Taking an animal with a bow is a question of confidence. If you don't think you have it in you (given all the influencing factors, wind animal alertness, terrain) then shorten up your range.

But being proficient as a bowhunter and being ready to hunt with it has less to do with how accurate you are and more to do with knowing when NOT to shoot. And what to do after you make a hit.

When bowhunting, recovery is the issue.