PDA

View Full Version : For those looking to take a kid fishing for the first time

Wild one
04-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I run a U-catch and see lots of kid that have been taken fishing and end up just frustrated. Here is some advice for the parents taking a kid for the first time fishing. Most kids have little patience so they will not want to fish for hours just to get one bite. They do not care how big or what kind of fish they are catching as long as there is action . It may not be fun for you to go fishing at a lake full of course fish or small fish but the child will in joy it a lot more than sitting on the river trying to catch salmon. Go to were the fish are or don't go at all as you are better of just taking them to the park if you are going to do that. Pick a place were they can run around a bit if things do slow down.Don't make fishing too serious make it fun.

here is a list of the places I here all the time that make kids frustrated
1)Vedder river 2)Rice lake 3)Sasamat lake 4)Any lake in Surrey ,Burnaby ,Vancouver, or Coquitlam.
Species I recommend to target for the first time are
1)Squawfish 2)bull heads 3)Cat fish(black bull head) 4)Bass 5)Crappie 6)Trout (if plentiful)
An important note just because the lake is stocked does not mean it is good fishing.

I hope this dose not come across wrong but this is a common thing I see all the time.

Wild one
04-28-2009, 10:54 AM
To help out parents taking kids for the first time please list some good spots to start of new anglers I will start.

1)There is a small pound at the Hayward lake reservoir rec site that has trout and squawfish in it with a bobber and worm one of the two will give you some action.

2)Mill pound(silver creek park) in mission there are trout ,cat fish and a few crappie worms are the ticket.

3)Deer lake Sasquatch park trout troll flat fish(orange/black spots and ,frog) Wedding band and worm

4)Silvermere lake small boat needed bass ,crappie and sunfish use firetiger rapala and spinner baits for bass and worms for the rest.

5)Go to a u-catch if they start loosing faith

Leaseman
04-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Good info Wild One!

We actually started the kid(s) at a U Catch with their own rods, took many neighbor kids, nieces, nephews etc when they were young, they never forget that first fish!! Gradually moved them to the rivers and ponds....

What U Catch you at??

Wild one
04-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I took over management of Silverbrook on bradner Rd just under 2years ago

Leaseman
04-29-2009, 07:08 AM
I have taken kids fishing there for close to 20 years (IIRC) until things started to "fall" apart...... good to hear that it has now been looked after, still fish in all the ponds?? Still the odd big one in the lower (south) pond??

Mike

huntergirl270
04-29-2009, 09:02 AM
I took over management of Silverbrook on bradner Rd just under 2years ago

We've taken friends' children there as well as our son before he started fishing in the big lakes. Our daughter is nearly old enough to bring so you'll be seeing us eventually :)
If you don't mind me asking... what are the current rates?

Wild one
04-29-2009, 09:04 AM
The guy who had it before was my other half's brother and well lets not get into my opinion one on the way he did things:roll:. As for fish I have no lack of them the avereage at this time is 12 - 16 inch but we do see 20 inch plus fish every week. I am slowly improving the place all the time but it is one of those thing you can always work on. Well lease man how about a spot for guys to take there first timers.

Wild one
04-29-2009, 09:05 AM
I will send you a pm

bsa30-06
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
:)
If you don't mind me asking... what are the current rates?

I would be interested in this info aswell.