PDA

View Full Version : Hairless Moose @ Cooke Creek Between Enderby & Mabel Lake

Camp Cook
04-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Last Thursday evening I was between Enderby & Mabel Lake on a logging road called Cooke Creek, about 2 1/2 - 3 klm's in on the road just past the power lines I spotted a moose that hardly had any hair on it's body.

I was amazed at how little hair it had and that it had been able to make it thru the winter in that condition, I mean it was so bad looking that I felt like shooting the moose and putting it out of it's misery.

I couldn't get closer than about 50 yards from it so couldn't tell if it had ticks or not.

I took a short video of it so when I find the time I'll get it uploaded to YouTube and post the link.

Other than the major hair lose the moose did look fairly healthy though.

Anyone know what the regulations regarding putting down an animal in this kind of condition are?

Gunner
04-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Interesting,I was in that area this afternoon glassing bears,I saw 2 cow moose one of which was very pale coloured(grey),but appeared to have all her hair.We don't normally have the tick problems around here that they have up north.I'm looking forward to seeing the video! Gunner

yukon john
04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Not allowed to put em down its a shame I watch a bull caribou with no skin on its hind quarters stand beside a lake for a long time (weeks if I remember right) couldnt do a thing about it.

elkdom
04-27-2009, 08:58 PM
moose with NO hair, result of "TIC" infestation ,

will the moose live? maybe yes, maybe no,

MOE policy regarding moose suffering from "TIC" infestation is leave them alone, let NATURE take its coarse!

also NOTE moose suffering "TIC" infestation can be VERY DANGEROUS, they are in torment constantly, anyone finding such moose should be very cautious , stay WELL AWAY from them, if the turn on you they can make mince meat outa you with their hooves in no time,

If you take it on yourself to destroy one without permit, the MOE will charge you, no matter how sick the animal is, its not anyone's call, except the CO's!

killman
04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
My ole stomping grounds. I don't ever remember seeing Moose around when I lived there as a kid.

GoatGuy
04-27-2009, 09:03 PM
How was the bear hunting?

Gunner
04-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Saw a couple of shooters,too close to dark.Also 4 dinks,so they are out even though it was snowing!Also the 2 moose,1/2 dozen mulies and the usual 50 or so whities.All in all a fun afternoon! Gunner

GoatGuy
04-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Saw a couple of shooters,too close to dark.Also 4 dinks,so they are out even though it was snowing!Also the 2 moose,1/2 dozen mulies and the usual 50 or so whities.All in all a fun afternoon! Gunner

Good to hear.

Goliath
04-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Anyone know what the regulations regarding putting down an animal in this kind of condition are?

Unfortunately the authorities would treat you as a lunatic and the granola sisters in Victoria would have a hayday at your expense.

Surprizingly many tic infested animals do survive...probably a combination of luck and shear will to live. These animals are of course on the tipping point of survival, so it would be wise to avoid stressing them.

Camp Cook
04-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Interesting,I was in that area this afternoon glassing bears,I saw 2 cow moose one of which was very pale coloured(grey),but appeared to have all her hair.We don't normally have the tick problems around here that they have up north.I'm looking forward to seeing the video! Gunner

How close did you get to the grey one because that was the colour of the hide on the moose I saw.

Years ago I shot a couple of rabbits that were covered in blood engorged ticks the ticks bodies were a grey/blue color which made me think that is why the moose looked grey.

Not all of the moose was hairless it still had hair on over 1/2 of it's body.

boxhitch
04-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Misery is a human emotion, animals don't share.
Like hunger, cold, lonely, its just another day in the life for them.
He's part of the chain, buzzards have to eat too.

yukon john
04-28-2009, 04:12 AM
well put Boxhitch you never see a wild critter feeling sorry for itself

boxhitch
04-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Followed closely by the wolves moving along also.

mgnm300
04-28-2009, 01:54 PM
how are you so sure it isn't losing it's winter coat?? animals can look pretty skanky this time of year

bopper
04-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Quite a few moose in this area now; one was photographed in Enderby last week, I photographed one swimming across Mara Lake a week ago, and I saw two at Grindrod last month.

Gunner
04-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Yup,I know of three spots in the area that they are wintering in,and you are right Boxhitch,they have pulled the wolves in with them.I hear an unnamed farmer shot one beside his calf pen about a month ago. Gunner

elkdom
04-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Quite a few moose in this area now; one was photographed in Enderby last week, I photographed one swimming across Mara Lake a week ago, and I saw two at Grindrod last month.

I spotted a "moose" in Grindrod at a PUB a couple years ago, turned out it was one the local bikers,,, :o

Camp Cook
04-28-2009, 08:57 PM
how are you so sure it isn't losing it's winter coat?? animals can look pretty skanky this time of year

Because I know the difference... :?

GoatGuy
04-28-2009, 09:10 PM
I spotted a "moose" in Grindrod at a PUB a couple years ago, turned out it was one the local bikers,,, :o

You saw the good looking one then? She's one heck of a gal. :lol:

Gunner
04-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Camp cook,I'll be back up there this evening,I'll try to get a closer look and maybe some pics,as long as the bears don't get in the way!:lol: Gunner

Camp Cook
04-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Here is the link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm1g8CWdySg

Gunner
04-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Is that you guys camped on the powerline just up from the Cook Cr. Main?If there is a dead moose there,be careful,we see a fair number of griz RIGHT THERE when we're glassing blackies.Didn't make it tonight,I'll try tomorrow.The grey moose was browsing normally when I saw her Tuesday night,wonder if it's her? By the way,what the hell are all you guys doing on MY powerline?:biggrin:.........Gunner