PDA

View Full Version : the hunt for christina lake gobblers

dirtybucker
04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
well me and a buddy just got from an awsome 4 day weekend in christina lake turkey hunting, unfortunatley we new got a shot off on one of the weery gobblers but we definatly saw alot of wildlife,

day 1 : we got off to a late start due to not arriving at the hotel till 1 or so in the morning but we did some scouting and couldnt find a single turkey, not a great way to start off a trip i guess but what can ya do,so after a while of driving and hiking we decided to go back to the hotel and relax a bit and head back out in the afternoon, we arrived back at our room and the owner tell us the fella staying behind us just shot a monster tom up the other side of the lake shot we plotted our plan to head up hter in the afternoon but in the mean time we decided to hike up to the back of the cascade falls and chill out for a bit, then we did a little bit of river fishing and got ready to head up the hill to start the hunt for the elusive gobbler, not 3 mins up the road a nice jake darts across the road but was way to quick for us to set up on, so after a few hours of talking to a couple of turkeys we called it a night and headed in...

day 2 : day 2 started great we ran into a cow and calf moose and were onto turkeys right away but we just couldnt bring them in ( forgot my decoys at home ) but it was nice to hear some gobbles at least, so again after a few hours of calling and sitting we headed back in to wait for the afternoon, we left our room at about 4 pm to check out a spot i noticed in the mornin that i figured might be a good place, we were walking in and of course we spooked a couple turkeys up and they flew off so kinda disapointed i walked to the edge of the cliff to regain my faith that we might find another turkey, i look over and not 20 yards from me is a beautiful 6ft chocolate bear feeding on the fresh grass and of course i forgot my slugs at home with my decoys so we sat and watched him for about 20 mins as he headed towards where we were sitting he spotted us at about 5 yards stared at us for a while and took off, definatly a great day of hunting

day 3 : day 3's morning was fairly uneventfull we had a couple gobbles first thing and then nothing so we ended up taking a nap on the open mountain face (best nap ive ever had haha) and then we headed down to the lake to try our hand at some fishing with unfourtunatly no luck so back to our room to get ready to head back up the mountain, of course as we are heading back up a couple hens cross the road and as we are walking back into our spot we look up and there are 2 cow elk about 3 yards from us but it didnt take them long to vacate the area, after watching the elk we started walking again only to scare up another smaller chocolate bear that ran right into our spot flushing out 3 turkeys...stupid bear... that pretty well ended our night

day 4 : this was the day we were gonna head for home so we got up early to get one last hunt before we left, we got up to the mountain around 5 am and were into turkeys right away, there was 3 gobblers all around us but agian none would come in i got on into about a 75 yard perimiter but he obviously got smart and moved on kinda discouraging so after some calling and sitting and calling and sitting we decided to head home, just as we got to the bottom of the road a nice little black bear stands up and watches us for about 15 mins and them sountered off back into the woods, but at least we got out and had some fun and talked to some of the elusive gobblers of christina lake, thanks to "kootneyraised" and his family for the accomadations they run and awsome lodging site and were very helpful and full of info about the area so thanks again and thanks for reading and pics to come as soon as i can get them off the camera

rick

Wildfoot
04-27-2009, 07:16 PM
justin and his family do run a great little place out there on the lake eh? Too bad you didn't get a gobbler. Justin was probably trying to hide them all for me :) Haha.

mark
04-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Sounds like you had fun, too bad you didnt hook up. Dont feel bad, I tried and failed also, first time in 4 years. I feel them birds are well educated now!

quackquackbang
04-27-2009, 08:16 PM
sounds like ya had a good trip!!! Oh well lets go bear hunting hahaha!!!:razz:

dirtybucker
04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Sounds like you had fun, too bad you didnt hook up. Dont feel bad, I tried and failed also, first time in 4 years. I feel them birds are well educated now!

haha yup they get smart pretty dam quick but all in all it was a great weekend saw lots of different game so im a happy hunter

kootenayraised
05-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the great compliments rick. the gentleman who was staying out back put in a good many hours after that weekend and didn't manage to get close to another tom. It appears the buggers became really wise to the situation. Lot's of talkers but hard to bring in.

j.

And Wildfoot..... I'll only save you turkeys if you promise not to almost die of dehydration every time we leave the house.