PDA

View Full Version : The Scope Dilemma

vanislehunter1
04-27-2009, 06:10 PM
So, I now have my marlin xl-7. all i need is to buy a scope. i've been stuck on either the Leupold vx-1, Rifleman or the Burris Fullfield II riflescope. I'm thinking of getting the fullfield II because of a good deal I can get on it. But im also drawn to the Leupold because of the warranty. Anyone who has any insight towards this would be helpful. Thanks

moosinaround
04-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Ive been looking at the Vortex scopes. Unlimited lifetime warranty, and crystal clear optics. Take a look! Moosin

Squirrelnuts
04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
If you're on a budget have a look at Alpen's stuff. Like the XL-7, they're cheaper than they should be.

gerrygoat
04-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Both Burris and Leupold are good scopes I have both but the Leupold's warranty is probably the best there is. I would get a Leupold unless the price on the Burris is quite a bit lower. If you get a used Leupold they will still honor the warranty on your scope even though you aren't the original owner there might be others that do that but I am unaware of them.

vanislehunter1
04-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Both Burris and Leupold are good scopes I have both but the Leupold's warranty is probably the best there is. I would get a Leupold unless the price on the Burris is quite a bit lower. If you get a used Leupold they will still honor the warranty on your scope even though you aren't the original owner there might be others that do that but I am unaware of them. the burris is 200 bucks as it is used, but was refurbished by burris and sent back to the owner.

Ive been looking at the Vortex scopes. Unlimited lifetime warranty, and crystal clear optics. Take a look! Moosin yea, i've been looking at those for a while, but you know, Leupold has been around for quite a while now, and so has burris. and leupold also has the same warranty and i've read great reviews on it so i still have alot of researching to do before i get one. ill keep lookin around until i find what i'm looking for:smile:

Steeleco
04-27-2009, 07:18 PM
I recently had warranty service from Burris, it was just as good as any Leupold service I'd had before. They even sent the scope back in a NIB condition with all the papers and cloth you'd get as if it were new.

The ONLY issue I'd have with Burris is the fact that they have to go south of the line to get any service, they handled that part, this time, just fine. But you never know what rules the current administration will come up with.

For that reason, I'd say Leupold of the two choices given in your first post.

Billy the Kid
04-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Ive been looking at the Vortex scopes. Unlimited lifetime warranty, and crystal clear optics. Take a look! Moosin

i've got the vortex viper binos, there awsome especially at low light and reasonably price

moosinaround
04-27-2009, 08:29 PM
i've got the vortex viper binos, there awsome especially at low light and reasonably price
I looked through a 50mm scope at Grouse river outfitters and the scope was very nice to look through, crystal clear!

Mr. Friendly
04-27-2009, 08:36 PM
it's almost universally agreed that the Bushnell Elite 3200 is better then the VX I...it's the VX II that truly shines. I just bought a 3200 for my XL7C, when I buy my next rifle, I'll probably upgrade it to a Leupold VX II unless the new rifle is better then the XL7C ;)

Blainer
04-27-2009, 08:43 PM
it's almost universally agreed that the Bushnell Elite 3200 is better then the VX I...it's the VX II that truly shines. I just bought a 3200 for my XL7C, when I buy my next rifle, I'll probably upgrade it to a Leupold VX II unless the new rifle is better then the XL7C ;)I would definately take a look at the 3200 for the price.
Although I own 3 leupold scopes,I also have 1 gun with the bushnell 3200 mounted,and it is a fine scope,especially for just over $200.

scratch
04-27-2009, 09:11 PM

The warranty is also transferable, no matter if its their cheapest scope or their most expensive, heres a quote from their owners manual.

"In the event that your riflescope requires service,
no matter the cause*, Vortex Optics will repair or replace
(at our discretion) the riflescope at no charge to you. What’s
more, there is no time limit on our promise. With no warranty card to fill out,the VIP warranty is completely transferable."

"The VIP Warranty

*The VIP warranty does not include loss, theft, deliberate damage, or damage
because of unauthorized repair, modification, or disassembly. Vortex Optics
reserves the right to replace warranted product with a product of similar value
and/or with similar specifications in the event that the original product is no
longer manufactured or has been discontinued."

todbartell
04-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Burris FullField II's are good scopes, similar in quality to a VXI Leupold or Bushnell Elite 3200. Ive owned all three and would take Leupold over them for the fact that in the small chance I have a problem with my scope I know it will be resolved within 2 weeks. Bushnell will be 3-5 months, Burris will be 2 months (in my experiences). VXI is basically the older VariX II which for years was a benchmark of riflescopes for hunting.

vanislehunter1
04-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Burris FullField II's are good scopes, similar in quality to a VXI Leupold or Bushnell Elite 3200. Ive owned all three and would take Leupold over them for the fact that in the small chance I have a problem with my scope I know it will be resolved within 2 weeks. Bushnell will be 3-5 months, Burris will be 2 months (in my experiences). VXI is basically the older VariX II which for years was a benchmark of riflescopes for hunting.
So, can you get me a special Omineca Source for sports price on a vx-1?:tongue:

todbartell
04-28-2009, 09:07 AM
yeah sure, $380 :) you seem like a special guy :mrgreen:

Sitkaspruce
04-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Hey VIH1

I have a new, never shot, but placed on a gun, Burris FFII 3x9x40 in silver for sale. Asking $250. Has light ring marks.

Give me a PM if you are interested, Will save you the shipping and the travel;)

Cheers

SS

Bow Walker
04-29-2009, 09:15 AM
:!: http://www.grouseriver.com/Vortex_Diamondback_3_9x40_Riflescope_p/opt-000057.htm

Honestly - you will not be sorry. :wink:

Ron.C
04-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Now I'm primarily a bowhunter and don't have alot of experience with riflescopes, but I have a Leupold Rifleman 3x9x40 on my Muzzleloader. For the price, it's a great scope and I've had no issues with it.

BlacktailStalker
04-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Go for the Leupy.

weatherby_man
04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
I bought a Vortex Viper scope this year and it is performing awesomely! Grouse River Outfitters set me up over the phone and it got delivered in a couple of days. The optics are crystal clear. I compared the Viper to a couple of Bushnell Elites at the Tradex show this year (side by each) and the optical quality of the Vortex was superior to the Bushnells, no question. I'm taking it out in the field for the first time in 2 weeks but on the range its been great.

Ruger4
05-08-2009, 08:38 AM
I bought a Vortex Viper scope this year and it is performing awesomely! Grouse River Outfitters set me up over the phone and it got delivered in a couple of days. The optics are crystal clear. I compared the Viper to a couple of Bushnell Elites at the Tradex show this year (side by each) and the optical quality of the Vortex was superior to the Bushnells, no question. I'm taking it out in the field for the first time in 2 weeks but on the range its been great.

Better yet weatherby man , you'll be more than impressed when you put your Vortex up against Leupy VXIII , superior to the II and comparible to the III