PDA

View Full Version : Region 5

ultramagbob
04-27-2009, 04:40 PM
A serious post from UMB.Just curious.For you die hard region 5 hunters,are you going to change you hunting plans and go to another region with the new regulations?Or are you going to hunt pre and post rut.Just wondering what kind of pressure there will be with the shorter season.

moosinaround
04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm heading north for deer this year. Peace MU here I come! Moosin

Charlie
04-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I have property up there, my plans will not change. There are plenty of deer there to be had.

lilhoss
04-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Depends,.. usually if I get a moose LEH for that area.I've always tried to make it a combo moose/deer hunt.I doubt I would pay to go all that way for 1 early season buck,but I would make the trip for the late season for sure.Can always use a wall hanger!!

edelweissbrian
04-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Well Sir! Nietzche wrote: What does not destroy me, makes me strong! Words to live by! I have hunted a particular part of Region 5-02 for going on 26 yrs now and will press on with it. I will hunt for a 4 point during the whole season. I fortunately live in the region and have a cabin in the thick of it. I do feel for some of those who must travel from afar. evaluate your reasons for travelling to "5". Are you only there for the game or is the comraderie and a good challenge something you that could be considered?

oldtimer
04-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Probably hunt a little more in region 7 as it is close. Mike

dana
04-27-2009, 09:30 PM
I have been giving it some serious consideration and think I need to go whack a early season high country giant in Region 5 this year just to rub it in the face of the lazy ass outfitters that can't seem to get the job done. ;)

Dirty
04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
I have been giving it some serious consideration and think I need to go whack a early season high country giant in Region 5 this year just to rub it in the face of the lazy ass outfitters that can't seem to get the job done. ;)

UMB and I were thinking about a family outing for early season high country mulies. Perhaps we can join you. :tongue:

shaner338
04-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Doesn't affect my plans as I don't head up till the later part of November anyway. I only hunt the bigger older bucks that migrate through the area I hunt.

blackbart
04-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Dana, if memory stands correct you tried to do just that a number of years ago and got your ass kicked. Perhaps you should stick to the region three youth season with your boy.

Better luck to you this year as we would all love to see your success, but will you be okay if you have to hunt in an area where you can't glass from your jeep??

Regarding the outfitters, I have personally seen just "how hard they work for their clients" and am less than impressed. Unless of course drinking a mickey of whiskey straight up out of your saddle bag counts as serving your clients.

killman
04-27-2009, 09:55 PM
And here we go!!!!!

huntcoop
04-27-2009, 10:19 PM
A serious post from UMB........

Oh my, you're killin' me, ETCOOMSNH.

tomahawk
04-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Doesn't change my plans one bit except my options for dates when I'll be in my spot in region 5.

dana
04-28-2009, 06:05 AM
Dana, if memory stands correct you tried to do just that a number of years ago and got your ass kicked. Perhaps you should stick to the region three youth season with your boy.

Better luck to you this year as we would all love to see your success, but will you be okay if you have to hunt in an area where you can't glass from your jeep??

Regarding the outfitters, I have personally seen just "how hard they work for their clients" and am less than impressed. Unless of course drinking a mickey of whiskey straight up out of your saddle bag counts as serving your clients.

I've hunted plenty of Region 5 highcountry over the years and am thinking about hitting some of my old haunts, not trying new ones like I did out in Chilco a few years back. As for the glassing from my Jeep, you take those late season opportunities when you get them. I guess you missed my other Muley Crazy and Trophy Hunter articles where I describe hiking my ass off eh?:razz:

Here is a quote from my last year's Muley Crazy article. ;)
"I pounded back many miles on the ol’ Lowa Sheep Hunters and it really felt like I was beating my head against a solid brick wall. But one thing I’ve learned over the years is that trophy mule deer hunting is really a head game. If you let the conditions get you discouraged, you are bound to be tempted to pull the trigger on the first decent buck you see, thus ending your chance at killing a monster. If you can keep your head in the game and be content to eat your tag at the end of the season if the right buck doesn’t present itself, then you’ve won the battle. "

frenchbar
04-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Are muley bucks open in reg 5 for four pts on sept 1st?

Fisher-Dude
04-28-2009, 06:13 AM

Post it up on the recipe page. :smile:

ultramagbob
04-28-2009, 07:19 AM

hahahahaha

newhunterette
04-28-2009, 07:53 AM
region 5 is where my heart lives - I am guessing I will be there again this season

LYKTOHUNT
04-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Due to these stupid new rules for region 5 that cater to GO,S our yearly trip for a bunch of us will likely not happen, every year we hunt a specific spot in 5-2 five or six guys in wall tents I do not think most of the guys will opt for this trip anymore so that is an end of an era.I will probobly take a trip to region 3 early in the season and then will go back to region 5 in the late season to hunt and get in the way of the GO.

tufferthandug
04-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I'll still hunt here! WTF? I don't care what they change it's still hunting. As for recruitment I guess it kind of sucks, but OH WELL! LOL.

The people to decide this shit are put there for a reason. They don't tell you how to do your job so what's all the crying about??? Maybe there is a shortage of big bucks. You don't know, and no matter how good you think you are... YOU STILL DON'T KNOW!

The guides in 5-2 are just road hunters anyways... So who cares.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, they made a bit tougher to get a buck!!! Bunch of babies. Try harder. Do you cry this much when the batteries on your remote die and you have to change the channel manually? Suck it up, and keep hunting Region 5.

In all seriousness though... I will believe the changes when I see it in writing (In the synopsis). I do think this is an excellent chance to drum up BCWF members, as it was last year as well when they threatened season changes. Myself, I hope this does drum up more members....

goatdancer
04-28-2009, 02:11 PM
A serious post from UMB.Just curious.For you die hard region 5 hunters,are you going to change you hunting plans and go to another region with the new regulations?Or are you going to hunt pre and post rut.Just wondering what kind of pressure there will be with the shorter season.

Are you suffering from the swine flu? "A serious post"? There goes your reputation........

BillyBull
05-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Will always hunt region 5 - unless they close it completely. 108 base camp (the brother-inlaw's) so it will mean hunting during the week to stay away from the pressure zones.

mpotzold
05-02-2009, 12:51 AM
[quote=ultramagbob;451416].For you die hard region 5 hunters,are you going to change you hunting plans and go to another region with the new regulations?

We will be hunting 5-03 for deer as always.(won’t change region). Will hunt bucks in Oct. only (at least 2 trips- 4 to 6 days each). Eve & I will try for LEH antlerless in Nov. (no 4 point hunting in Nov.unless we get at least 1 LEH)
If we get out in Sept. it will be for ruffed grouse.
Oct will be like a shooting gallery. I can see convoy after convoy of road hunters all day long.
One of the problems with 4 point hunting is that it’s very difficult at times to count all 4 even with good binoculars especially in bushy areas.
Here is a photo of antlers –a buck shot at about 80 yards. It looked like a 2 point but was a 4 point. http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/DSCN1240.jpg (http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/DSCN1240.jpg)