PDA

View Full Version : The 24 hour Buck

Maxx
11-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Here is the story of what I am calling my 24 hour buck. He is my best Buck I have taken, and I am still excited.

It all started Friday, I left my house in Langley at midnight by myself heading to Williams lake. The area that I was to be hunting was a spot that my uncle had showed me this year, and we had taken my grandfather to try and fill his doe tag. My uncle and I had talked at that time that during the rut, this would be a good place. My uncle was chasing whitetails this weekend, so on the road I went by myself,

I arrived at my spot at 5:45 am, had a quick nap, then unloaded the quad. I geared up, and drove into the location of the stand that we had kept my grandfather at. As I arrived, another truck came up the road, not a good start. There were quite a few tracks in the few day old snow, so I knew the deer were around. At about 8am, another person walked the road very close to my stand and then another truck, and then another quad. These people were all doing drive by's. I sat in the stand until 11am, was feeling hungry, and a little cold. I had seen 2 does all morning, and was hoping that when I returned in the afternoon, a buck would show up.

As I slowly drove to my stand with my quad in the afternoon, I was glancing from side to side. This is when I got lucky. I was about 100 yards from parking the quad, when to my right downhill , I see a nice buck standing there looking at me. I coasted the quad to a stop, had enough time to undo my gun case, put the clip in the gun, step off the quad, raise the rifle.This probably took 5 seconds. The buck at that moment turned to go, as he stepped between 2 trees, I let the 300 WSM fly. Not sure if I hit him, and knowing if I didn't, I would probably get another look at him on the down hill, I covered the 100 yards like Ben Johnson on horse pills. When I arrived at the spot, there he lay. He had not moved one step. YES!!!! I was so excited. I sat anenjoyed him for a few minutes, then returned to my quad to go and get my video camera in my truck.

After pictures etc, the real work began! I had him all packaged in the truck by 4pm, and started on my way home.

I arrived back home at near midnight last night, after putting him in the cooler at my parents. My 24 hour buck is one that I will not forget.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/345760.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/345762.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/345763.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/345761.jpg

Marc
11-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Great story Maxx, and great looking deer. I'd be excited and proud of that guy for sure.

Marc.

3kills
11-20-2005, 10:56 AM
great story and an awesome lookin buck...

Canuck2
11-20-2005, 11:38 AM
Wow, THAT is a nice buck. What a great, short hunting trip.:mrgreen:

shortroot
11-20-2005, 12:25 PM
"I arrived at my spot at 5:45 am, had a quick nap, then unloaded the quad. I geared up, and drove into the location of the stand that we had kept my grandfather at. As I arrived, another truck came up the road, not a good start. There were quite a few tracks in the few day old snow, so I knew the deer were around. At about 8am, another person walked the road very close to my stand and then another truck, and then another quad."

First off, nice buck. Good work.

Second, the above qoute suggests you were on your quad before 8am as was another person. Just a heads up, but 10am is the earliest that quads should be used in region5:frown:

BlacktailStalker
11-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Congrats! Cool synthetic stock on your gun too.

Maxx
11-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the responses guys,

Shortroot- Not all of region 5 has this restriction.

Freshtracks
11-20-2005, 03:43 PM
Congrats on a great buck Maxx .... man I remember them 24hr. runs .... just a little to old to do them now.:p

And your right Maxx in that one needs to review pages 58/59 closely regarding vehicle/ATV usage.

shortroot
11-20-2005, 03:46 PM
My apologies.

I am wrong, and it won't be the last time:p

Darren
11-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Very nice buck! looks pretty wide.

oldtimer
11-20-2005, 03:56 PM
shortroot--- hour restrictions for quads are only in mu's 5-3 5-4 5-5 5-6 and 5-14 . !!

MAXX- awesome buck !! sigh another region 5 trophy gone to a southerner. LOL MIKE

Kirby
11-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Congrats, great looking buck!

Kirby