PDA

View Full Version : Still too early

rollingrock
04-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Went up to Squamish this week end and spent one and a half days there. Lots of campers, bikers and quaders, and plus...hunters. However, some portions of the roads were still covered in snow. Two main roads were blocked by fallen LOGs. When I say LOGs, that means huge. So access was very limited. Tried one spur road, not far enough, the road was again covered by snow, and that road was south facing. Had to pull a Tracker out of snow on Elaho Road.

Don't be fooled by nice weather during the day. It was freezing at night.

Never liked to go there on week ends, especially in nice weather. Nice weather means a tour to a zoo, lot of dust and very few animal to see. But the schedule only fit in this week end. Grass was only half green, leaf tips just started coming out on half of the trees. There're places that green up pretty well, but they're out of hunting area.

However, I still saw a big boar in the evening. 150 yards away. But before I was able to get out of truck, the boar was spooked started running into the bush. Then a truck showed up on the opposite side coming towards me. The young fellow stopped by me and laughed "You saw that bear didn't you?" And that was the only bear I saw on this trip. I bet most hunters there didn't even get a look at any bear.

Today after I broke my camp, I ran into a local guy. Local guy means good intelligence. A big boar has been showing up at a spot every frikin evening. I went stright to that spot and talked to other local people. They confirmed the tip. So I started patrolling the area once very 30 mins up till 8 PM. Thinking about tomorrow's appointment with my friend, I decided to screw it and head home.

I think I should go back to check things out in another 3 weeks.

huntwriter
04-26-2009, 10:55 PM
I think I should go back to check things out in another 3 weeks.

If not sooner.:smile:

sneg
04-27-2009, 07:28 AM
How far did you go on Elaho road ?

04-27-2009, 08:32 AM
can you drive up the Elaho to pemberton?

I have taken it prity far but not tried to go the whole way.

Gateholio
04-27-2009, 08:45 AM
can you drive up the Elaho to pemberton?

I have taken it prity far but not tried to go the whole way.

Can't drive, but you can hike it.

rollingrock
04-27-2009, 10:04 AM
The Tracker was stuck at mile 42 on Elaho. Mile 44/45 is where the big log is. Squamish River Road was also blocked by a big log right at mile 37 where the bridge is.

rollingrock
04-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Can't drive, but you can hike it.

I think a few years back I ran into some guys who drove from Meager all the way to Elaho. But the road was pretty bad as I was told.

Squire
04-27-2009, 10:32 AM
I think a few years back I ran into some guys who drove from Meager all the way to Elaho. But the road was pretty bad as I was told.

Someone was pulling your leg. There is about 12 miles of undeveloped wilderness between the closest Elaho and Meager road headings. A couple of virtually impassable canyons on the Elaho East side and swampy high country between.

rollingrock
04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Ya I think you're right. I guess we can start a new topic on this trail? :D

Gateholio
04-27-2009, 12:46 PM

I know some guys that drove form Squamish all the way to the Sunshine coast

;)

ElectricDyck
04-27-2009, 12:59 PM
I know some guys that drove form Squamish all the way to the Sunshine coast

;)

Here's a thread on bc4x4 where this is talked about.

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=91216

sneg
04-28-2009, 09:44 AM
You can not drive anything from Meager to Elaho. This is 29 mi hike. Also last year one bridge was out.

sneg
04-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks.
I think last year we had log abt same location.

The Tracker was stuck at mile 42 on Elaho. Mile 44/45 is where the big log is. Squamish River Road was also blocked by a big log right at mile 37 where the bridge is

Gateholio
04-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Here's a thread on bc4x4 where this is talked about.

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=91216

Yup, another mythical road...:biggrin:

First time I heard of it I was about 19, living in Whistler. We were sititng at a bar and some guy was talking abotu it, so a few of us vowed to do it when summer came.

When we started looking into it, we finally realized that the guy was full of shit, and has never ben on any such road. Since no such road existed!:mrgreen:

rollingrock
04-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Clarke, you made me feel like a 19 year old. :D

Good read on that 'road' to sunshine coast. very interesting.