PDA

View Full Version : gps maps?

sarnold
04-26-2009, 05:54 PM
just wondering where a guy can get some good back road/trail maps for a garmin gps?
I've done a little research and seen some for 125 bucks......is there not some where on the web or somewheres that would not cost so much?
any input would be great.

hlram
04-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Basically have to pay for maps for Garmin handhelds and go from there.
Tried downloading free stuff off the internet didn't work out, bought the maps and away I went.

husky30-06
04-26-2009, 06:22 PM
unfortunately you must buy the maps on a disk. once you do that, all the updates you will need will be there for you. also the maps will work for every garmin GPS.

Charlie
04-26-2009, 06:30 PM
I posted a link some time ago regarding a location to a "trial" version of the software and the Canada topo maps when this topic camp up last.

Have a search....

ElectricDyck
04-26-2009, 07:19 PM
I've found that the topo canada maps back roads are good for a general idea of the area or hiking, but are out of date and will lead you into someone's backyard (happened today) if you take them as being right 100% of the time. Between the gps and back roads map books you can find your way.

livingston
04-26-2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

These are the maps I used on my GPS they are pretty good quality not all of BC though.Can't beat free though:smile:

martyonthewater
04-27-2009, 09:01 AM
http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

These are the maps I used on my GPS they are pretty good quality not all of BC though.Can't beat free though:smile:

I have spent hours following tutorials and pounding head against the wall trying to get this product to work on my gps. so far nothing.

Mauser98
04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
I have spent hours following tutorials and pounding head against the wall trying to get this product to work on my gps. so far nothing.

You have to have a version of Garmin's Mapsource on your computer in order to use the Ibycus maps(or the Garmin Topo Canada maps).

The process is:

Install Mapsource
Install Ibycus
Load choosen maps sheets onto the GPS

martyonthewater
04-27-2009, 12:44 PM
I have the trip and waypoint manager on my computer, does this not contain the basic mapsource requirements?

husky30-06
04-27-2009, 05:16 PM
I have the trip and waypoint manager on my computer, does this not contain the basic mapsource requirements?

the waypoint manager will only work for that, to get what you want you will need the map source package. though once you get it you can use if for ANY garmin product..... i have not been in touch with any other product that will work with the garmin GPS'.

Ddog
04-27-2009, 05:45 PM
i have the maps on the discs, i bought the GPS and for an extra $20 you get all the maps or separately you buy the maps for $125.
the GPS with the maps was $199 or without the maps it was $179 then you had to buy the map source for $125 doesnt make sense to me not to buy the kit. i may be able to borrow it out if you like,

livingston
04-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Is it trip and waypoint manager v4 or something along those lines?

I had the same problem after downloading it, I couldn't find how to access it in mapsource.

At the top left there is a tab you click on where it says trip and waypoint manager the arrow to the right.

Hope you figure it out:razz:

Steeleco
04-27-2009, 07:05 PM

A word for the wise. I had this program on my 60csx and it worked fine but was lacking in detail compared to the Garmin product. Then when I tried to remove it I somehow left a corrupt file on the card. Long story short, it took 3 trips to Garmin and $100 of postage and service till they found it.

SO, if you experiment and end up with functioning issues with your GPS, remove the card and format it in a card reader. I wish I had!!

All that said, if I didn't have Topocanada already the free stuff would have been just fine.

martyonthewater
04-27-2009, 10:25 PM
thanks to all, this whole computer savy thing can be a real pain in the arse.lol

sarnold
04-28-2009, 10:30 PM
thanxs fellows...
that sounds like a really good starting point I'm going to try that link asap.
What I really need is ALOT more knowledge with all this computer/technology stuff....:biggrin:

Gateholio
04-29-2009, 11:17 PM
How good are the Garmin maps of BC?

I'm going ot be in the market for a new GPS soon, my old one is nearing senior citizen age.:tongue:

husky30-06
04-29-2009, 11:23 PM
gatehouse... the maps are actually pretty good. i use them all the time for my search and rescue, also my hunting. i also have softmap along with oziexplorer...... garmin the best

mud-dog27
05-01-2009, 02:25 PM
look in buy and sell or ebay

i found my copy of TOPO CANADA(4discs) for $55 new cause some guy bought it and it wouldnt work for his unit and he had it too long to return it

but like others have said you have to understand that the maps are dated and may not be the most detailed

other then that good luck

Charlie
05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
How good are the Garmin maps of BC?

I'm going ot be in the market for a new GPS soon, my old one is nearing senior citizen age.:tongue:

They work well for what they are intended for.

If you are familiar with how torrents work, here is a link to the TOPO Canada maps with Mapsource.

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/610961/775222/

Download it, mount it or burn, your choice. Install, and use it for a while. If you don't like it, delete. If you do, then you should consider buying a copy.