PDA

View Full Version : Straight or Angled Spotting Scope

Phil
04-26-2009, 08:49 AM
I am on the verge of buying a spotting scope and can't decide if I should get a straight or angled scope.

Which do you have and what do you perceive to be the pros or cons of each?

Gateholio
04-26-2009, 09:06 AM
I like straight, some like angled.....I think it's preference. If you were sitting all day down low, looking up steeply, then the angled one is probably nicer.

srupp
04-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Phil I have the angled spotting scope, its a bit more difficult to find the subject of interest but on the + side I usually spot while sitting or laying down and the angled one makes that easier..

Over all I would chose the straight one if I were to do it again..:oops:

Steven

bowhunterbruce
04-26-2009, 09:16 AM
mine is straight so i am either laying down viewing which keeps my profile down and if i use it on my quad bracket that i made, then i am just leaning forward to peek through it.
it works for me:-P

Phil
04-26-2009, 09:39 AM
I use a reverse angled scope (angle points downward).

I walk on my hands and stand on my head while viewing sheep in open terrain.

They have no idea what I am and are not afraid.

Try it. It works amazing.

I guess this technique is a plus if you're talking out your arse. I like like to spend more time figuring out how to kill my quary and less lime impressing them.....but thanks for the laugh.

Phil
04-26-2009, 09:44 AM
I like straight, some like angled.....I think it's preference. If you were sitting all day down low, looking up steeply, then the angled one is probably nicer.

Looking up hill for long periods of time is a good point. I have tryed to envision how I will most use the scope and didn't consider this. Food for thought.

Phil
04-26-2009, 09:49 AM
mine is straight so i am either laying down viewing which keeps my profile down and if i use it on my quad bracket that i made, then i am just leaning forward to peek through it.
it works for me:-P

I'd like to see your quad bracket. If you have time could you post or PM me a pic? Are you able to sit on or stand beside the quad while viewing?

Does the scope have to be removed while travelling on the quad?

Reggy
04-26-2009, 09:53 AM
I bought an angled one a couple of years ago now and haven't regretted it. One thing I like is all you have to do is rotate the lens and the guy beside you can look at the animal without even moving the scope. It's takes a little getting used to when it comes to finding an animal (considering you may be looking down to actually look up) but once you get the hang of this it's great.

Phil
04-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Reggy, which scope enables you to rotate the eye piece like that? Sounds like a good option.

Reggy
04-26-2009, 10:13 AM
I own the Swarovski ATS 65 and it has this feature. As far as I know most if not all angle scopes do this. I know Lieca does for sure. Here's a quote off the Swarovski website.... "The angled version is eminently suitable for comfortable observation in steep terrain". I have used the straight lens (STS 65) as well and have no complaints with it. My preference is the angled though. Hope this helps.

kootenayslam
04-27-2009, 09:59 AM
I bought the Swaro angled scope last year, it took a bit to get used to and i still can't find game as fast as the straight scope, but for long periods of scoping i "think" i like it better(more comfortable on the neck), i'm still on the fence but it's growing on me.

BlacktailStalker
04-27-2009, 12:33 PM
STS65HD (straight) for me.
It was a hard decision but I'm happier with it.

pmj
04-29-2009, 10:03 PM
If you do target shooting from the prone position the angled is more comfortable.