PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced Satellite Imagery for Game viewing

RiverBoatFantasy
04-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Wowsers, I had the opportunity to look at an enhanced satellite imagery system via an internet link.

The system is so powerful you can actually tell the difference between rams and ewes, bulls and cows. Very, very precise and amazing.

The system is used by geological consulting firms for the purpose analyzing terrain feaures.

I sure hope that I will be allowed to "peek" again before the hunting season begins.

bowhunterbruce
04-23-2009, 03:15 PM
rbf a few years ago i was horsein around on the computer ne early morning when i happened on to a satilite called lanstat 7.it was an old spy satilite that i guess was sold or something but i was able to log on with a tempory pass and use it ,i checked out a lake that my deceased father and i used to hunt and was able to zoom into that huge beaver pond and watch 3 bull moose and 2 cows walking and feeding useing the thermal imaging system.it blew my mind .when i tryed to print it as a picture the program wanted me to pay a user fee of 1600.00 just to print the pic.i then checked out how much to join the site and it was well over 2500 bucks a month.i have never found it again since that morning.but it would shurly be a way of changeing the term hunting into going and getting especially if on guy sat on the computer and sent his buddies to the location via satilite radios.once i relized that thats when i thought that there wouldnt be anymore true trophy sized animals in a matter of a few years
dont get me wrong here i am all for technology and it was a discovery that i wish i could repeat yet at the same time i know in my heart this is one place where it shouldnt be available to use it for hunting.
and yes it is possible to read a liecence plate from outter space and i did watch those 5 moose for over 1/2 hr,i was even late for work.

gamehunter6o
04-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Yes, I suppose there will be a law prohibiting viewing of such imagery for the purposes of hunting if and when it ever becomes mainstream

I could imagine the missus watching a computer screen at home, calling me up on a sat. phone while I'm out hunting.
"Now listen dear, if you just go around the OTHER side of the hill, there's a big bull there". :lol:

Ciskman
04-23-2009, 04:29 PM
I could imagine the missus watching a computer screen at home, calling me up on a sat. phone while I'm out hunting.
"Now listen dear, if you just go around the OTHER side of the hill, there's a big bull there". :lol:

Or catching you sneaking off to the bar with your buddies!:D

Charlie
04-23-2009, 04:39 PM
I have a hard time believing real time satellite imagery will ever be public. It is a highly coveted tool used by the Military and spy agencies. With the ever increasing police state encroaching (it can be argued its here already) I doubt the Government wants competition. ;-)

gamehunter6o
04-23-2009, 05:47 PM
I have a hard time believing real time satellite imagery will ever be public. It is a highly coveted tool used by the Military and spy agencies. With the ever increasing police state encroaching (it can be argued its here already) I doubt the Government wants competition. ;-)

You could be right. Imagine if fireams had just been invented. They, the governments, wouldn't allow ordinary citizens to own such dangerous weapons.:x

johnes50
04-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Is this what you were using?

http://landsat.usgs.gov/links_view_search_order.php