PDA

View Full Version : Binocular question SWAROVSKI

srupp
04-23-2009, 01:52 PM
I had a 'offer" to sell me some Swarovski 10x42 EL Binoculars new at a reasonable price..so I sold my Baush and Laumb ELITES and went to buy the Swaros..the guy was really "hinky" acting really wierd and refused to now sell me the Swaros at the agreed price..or any price..:eek:

So I have been looking @ some different glasses..

I was looking at the Swarovski 10 x 42 EL versus the Swarovski 8.5 x 42 EL...and the 8.5 had a bigger field of view..that was expected..however the brightness of the 8.5s was noticably MUCH brighter than the 10x MUCH.

It was low light when I compared the two...yes there was a slight loss in magnification but a great gain in low light...anyone else have the 8.5 x 42 EL..

I need to narrow these two down to ONE pair to go up against a different mnf best of..

COMMENTS???????

steven

Gateholio
04-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Proguide66 has the 8.5's (or maybe 8's?) They are noticeably brighter in low ligth than my 10X Leica Ultravids. But they don't' have as much magnification.

Quality of glass is similar, with me preferring the Leicas (which is why I bought them)

Comes down to magnification vs low light viewing and which is most important to you.

bushguy
04-23-2009, 03:10 PM
I have the 8.5's,,they have been to hell and back and i love them.Excellent light gathering,,,,have a buddy that has the 10's,,,a little difference in mag obviously but i'd trade the extra magnification for the better light gathering any day.10 out of 10 in my books.

Triggerman
04-23-2009, 03:17 PM
:wink:I have the 10x 42 ELs and as I hunt in the West and not deep in the bush I would recommend the 10 power for sure. a lot better for judging points etc. and seeing long distance. If you are only bow hunting ( I use my Leica 1200 rangefinder for that) the 8s would be fine.

Just my opinion......

Rob
04-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Buy a pair of Bushnell Insta-focus. Its going to be a long strike:-(

Toad Hunter
04-23-2009, 09:21 PM
The 10 x 42's EL's are the best.

camerland new york rocks!

srupp
04-24-2009, 07:51 AM
I have heard that Camerland NYC is a great place to buy optics..

1) how long to get here to BC ??

2) what added fees are there bringing them to Canada? is it worth the trouble?

Steven

BlacktailStalker
04-24-2009, 09:47 AM
10x42s are what I chose.

BHPhoto had good prices when I looked online, but I bought locally for just as good a deal.

srupp
04-24-2009, 10:59 AM
I have chosen my replacement Binoculars..and will order them from BC CANADA...I called everywhere USA and across Canada..Wholesale sports were JERKS..outrageous lack of help, service, borderline rude lad(not like some very good staff)..and went with a sporting good shop.

THANKS to one of our members here for the HELP in locating a good , helpful store.....

steven

bighornbob
04-24-2009, 02:34 PM
What kind and where did you end up buying them???

BHB

srupp
04-24-2009, 05:39 PM
I bought Swarovski 8.5 x 42 EL ....from HUB SPORTS in ABBOTSFORD.
Roger treated me extremely well

Thanks to Dirty..appreciate the help

Steven

srupp
05-03-2009, 12:34 PM
The Swaro 8.5 x 42 EL arrived yesterday..awesome at just "dark" I could see clear across the valley and see a deer..EXTREME low light binos.

They came with a 'adapter ' to fit a camera to the lens to use the binos as a additional 8.5 power zoom for photos.....

Best neck strap I have ever seen.
And the chest harness will be here tomorrow.

These were to be my yearly addition to my equipment for stone sheep..

but unfortunatley THAT seems to have went for a D U M P...:confused:

OH well theres always knitting...

Steven