PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Macks grizzly/halibut maps

srupp
04-23-2009, 10:12 AM
I am proud and yet humbled to be able to have called Clayton Mack the famous and successful grizzly guide..'my friend"..
I racall the times we fished together and his stories about Sasquatches on Graveyard Island .And to view his lifetime achievements in his photo album with so many world record grizzlies....to think Clayton himself hunted and guided Kwatna Bay some 50 years ago..even men like John Wayne ..the actor..Charleton Heston....

I am planning a coastal trip :biggrin:..and was dealing with halibut locations to fish for "barn door size behemoths" when I was loaned Claytons very own map of the Dean Channel showing all the cod, halibut, crab, salmon AND GRIZZLY spots Clayton frequented.:eek: To sit and read his writing and glean from his lifetime of knowlege..amazing!!!I knew some of the places but not all of them and I did know the crab locations..

But a few of the Grizzly hunting locations Clayton marked surprised me..

what a privilege to be able to read this mans life in a map..

cheers

Steven

Schmaus
04-23-2009, 10:15 AM
That is really cool. Grizzlies and White Guys is prob one of my favorite books.

Johnnybear
04-23-2009, 06:37 PM
That is really cool srupp!!! I've read two books about him and they are definately some of my favourites.

Having that map on your trip will be kinda like walking in his shoes (although large ones to fill):D.

pupper
04-23-2009, 06:39 PM
That is nice, Srupp. So now that you made us all jealous, share his best spot :)

Chuck
04-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Was it he, who hobbled his horse in a meadow for the night, and when he went to retrieve it in the morning, found it dead and hung up in a tree?

BlacktailStalker
04-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Yeah he is a legend for sure.

My grizzlies and white guys book is beside the computer now, I've just read it for the 4th or 5th time.

My ex's parents owned a lodge on the lower dean river, grizzlies galore, I spent much time shoulder to shoulder with them fly fishing for summer run steelies and behemoth northern coho.
Dean Channel holds some absolute huge hali's.
Amazing part of BC for anyone who loves the outdoors.
One of my last hikes up there I found where a mature grizzly killed a sub adult, probably about 3 years old.

Now, how about a photocopy of that map :cool: jk

hunter1947
04-24-2009, 03:21 AM
Thanks for reminding us all about what kind of person this man was http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

"skma"
04-24-2009, 09:09 AM
A Great Powerful man. He was my great uncle,and ill never forget him, lots of great stories of the old days fr fishin,guidein, and of the lengendary sasquach aka"bigfoot"

srupp
04-24-2009, 10:51 AM
skma..Clayton was one of my highlights of my entire life..a genuine sincere gentleman, and it was a honor to meet him and call him 'friend' and while he was dying at the local hospital it was my privelege to sit with him and chat, listen, and be there..its difficult in the native culture to be around a dying person...I deal with sick , ill, injured people each and every day...Im glad I could give back a small portion of what Clayton gave, shared with me...the grizzly hunting tips , some Ive never heard anyone else share..and has definatly made me much more successful...
and hopefully a better person Clayton taught me how to give all I have each and every time without expectations...

steven

Gateholio
04-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Loved both of his books. Seemed like a "obroke the mold after he was made" type of guy.

Clint_S
04-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Thought his photo albums were swiped when he lent them out and he was somewhat upset about it? At least that's what I recall from reading G&WG some years ago.

d6dan
04-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Srupp, Years ago I was sent ot Oceanfalls to scale some logs salvaged from Link Lk. I met this fellow who had a left handed 340 weatherby mark v for sale.(german made) He was a guide who had this rifle given to him by an American hunter. Now being a lefty myself, i bought it for $1000. great deal of money back then, anyway I don't remember who he was working for ,but he had mentioned the name Clayton Mack. I've spent some time in Kwatna Bay, Camp2 bay, and of course Talyoma Bay. lots
of Grizz. Seen them every day on the tide flats. Oh ya, still good halibut fishing up there...

srupp
04-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Yes the books were eventually found..Hope to get into some big halibut down King Island way..and some decent crabs....

The biggest bears dont show themselves out on the open tidal flats they find little hidey holes that are protected and yet offer good food..

I remember Clayton pointing out a grizzly track and then spending the next 30 minutes telling me about the bear that made it..and all about tracks..I got a wonderful education on grizzlies from this amazing gentleman that was so down to earth yet so knowlegable.

The day BEFORE Tim got his world record grizzly I told Tim " tomorrow you will get your bear..'

The morning we went up the river I pointed out a log and said ' later today you WILL get your grizzly here'..and 7 hours later when we came down the river I asked Tim to be extra quiet..we got to that same log..I got out and pointed out Tims world record bear...yes Clayton was that good.

Steven

Steven

Clint_S
04-24-2009, 08:54 PM
I'd sure love to see some of those pics. Any chance some person could scan some and get them online somewhere?

steepNdeep
04-25-2009, 12:10 PM
The day BEFORE Tim got his world record grizzly... I told Tim...I pointed out ... I asked Tim ...I got out ... yes Clayton was that good.

Steven

I'm confused... Who was that good? Are you talking about you or Clayton? :roll:

srupp
04-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Clayton..WAS that good..

I spent 5 hours pouring over Claytons personal map..an amazing amount of information he even mentions Bing Crosby who he took fishing..WOW..

some exellent tips on halibut, crab, salmon and grizzlies..

Steven

BigfishCanada
04-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Great story on a sasquatch he saw with a pic of him!

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/stories/mack.htm

bowhunterbruce
04-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Great story on a sasquatch he saw with a pic of him!

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/stories/mack.htm

awsome article

srupp
04-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Chuckle..brings back good memories..

now imagine laying on the beach just south of Kwatna Bay at a small place called Restoration bay..with Clayton and Bob Kopp and Paul Sissons..and having Clayton Mack himself telling the story in his own words under the black starry nite with a small fire flickering on Claytons face as he portrayed the story in words and gestures...:shock:....

the book is "OK' some stuff doesnt make any sense with what Clayton told me..BUT I remember that nite and the story of the Sasquatch of Graveyard Island told by Clayton himself...

And in 3 weeks I will be sleeping in Kwatna Bay..a mere 100 yards from Graveyard Island for 3 weeks...crabbing,halibut fishing, maybe even some prawns....oh ya videoing some bear hunters...:biggrin:..

sleeping on a boat..with ONE EYE OPEN....

steven

olharley guy
04-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Great books with great stories!