PDA

View Full Version : Everthing is bigger in America

blindbob
11-19-2005, 08:17 AM
I thought this was a Canadian hunters dream.
ST. PAUL, Minnesota (AP) -- So many deer inhabit the area around Pig's Eye
Lake just east of St. Paul that one frustrated local official has compared
them to unwanted vermin.

In a recent aerial survey of the 11-square-mile, mostly residential area,
county biologists expecting to find about 100 deer instead counted more than
500. Some of the hoofed creatures have been wandering into town, showing up
at places like the emergency entrance of Regions Hospital and in front of
the pro hockey arena.

Most notably, a big buck broke several windows at the state Capitol before
bounding just a few feet away from Gov. Tim Pawlenty and his startled
security detail.

"They're just everywhere. You see them every day," said Kathy Lantry, a city
councilwoman who represents the area Pig's Eye Lake area. "They've become
like rats."

The problem of deer encroaching on cities and suburbs is not new, with some
communities considering everything from hiring sharpshooters to deer
contraception to cut down the populations.

Ronforca
11-19-2005, 09:16 AM
We don't have that big of a problem but every town in the South Okanagan has a healthy population of town Deer.Here in Oliver I think that our herd numbers around thirty.They wander everywhere eating Roses,garden stuff and everything else a Deer likes.They love my Grape vines,Tomatoes and Roses especially but eat everything else that is edible.They are not so cute even to the non hunters around here.

Shoey
11-19-2005, 10:40 AM
The problem of deer encroaching on cities and suburbs is not new, with some communities considering everything from hiring sharpshooters to deer contraception to cut down the populations.

How do I bid on THAT contract!?!?!?!?!?! :biggrin:

tmarschall
11-19-2005, 12:03 PM
500 in 11 square miles eh??? thats nuttin. A friend of mine with 500 acres (just under 1 square mile), put a high fence around his place and turned it into a game management area. The first year they harvested 132 does, the next year 83... then they started harvesting bucks. Then again, this area of Texas is known for the highest density of deer in the state. We definitely have an overpopulation problem here, and all the private land doesn't help matters any. The dry conditions this fall have brought the "rose pruners" into our yard for the first time in 15 years of living here. And the pruned my grape vines also. The law allows you to protect your property, and I have done that on 2 occasions now, but they still keep coming. We live about 100 yds from the city limits, so I am trying to get permission to hunt a nearby tract of land in an order to cull before they hit the yard more. But our deer here are not "bigger" than yours by far. they average about 80 lbs, with a large buck maybe coming in at 140lbs. By the way... let me know if they need to import any sharpshooters for population control... Tom

Canuck2
11-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Which contract you talking about Shoey, the contraception one? :? ;)

PGKris
11-21-2005, 05:51 PM
The problem of deer encroaching on cities and suburbs is not new, with some
communities considering everything from hiring sharpshooters to deer
contraception to cut down the populations.

That deer contraception bullcrap doesn't work by the way. I heard a good one about that:
"The only tried and true method of deer birth control wears hunter orange"
:biggrin: