PDA

View Full Version : bow bylaws

brian
04-20-2009, 11:18 AM
I have been interested in getting into bow hunting for a while now. I used to shoot a fair amount in my back yard as a kid and am thinking it would be a good way to expand my hunting opportunities. So when i feel confident enough in my skills I wouldn't mind giving bow hunting a try. I have a question about municipal bylaws governing the use of bows. I've been looking for them but I can't find much that specifically addresses bow use. Does anybody know if there are certain standards? What would the bylaws be for Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, or Mission?

boxhitch
04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Different criteria for different municipalities. Check under discharge of firearms and see if bows are excluded.

danfloris
04-20-2009, 01:06 PM
i have herd pf a no shooting bows in mission unless you have 5 acres. i dont know i could be totally wrong but i was told that last year.

Ron.C
04-20-2009, 02:39 PM
I have been interested in getting into bow hunting for a while now. I used to shoot a fair amount in my back yard as a kid and am thinking it would be a good way to expand my hunting opportunities. So when i feel confident enough in my skills I wouldn't mind giving bow hunting a try. I have a question about municipal bylaws governing the use of bows. I've been looking for them but I can't find much that specifically addresses bow use. Does anybody know if there are certain standards? What would the bylaws be for Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, or Mission?

Do yourself a favour, If you can't find it in writing in the form of a municiple website or official document from your local Bylaw office , then call and ask them.

Otherwise, you may just get some bogus information, even on this site.

Better safe than sorry especially when it comes to the possibility of hefty fines if your wrong.

brian
04-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Most of the discharge of firearms bylaws don't specifically mention bows in their terms or definitions. Which leaves me scouring the bylaws looking for anything bow related. So I guess you are right Ron, a call would be best.

Big Lew
04-21-2009, 10:14 AM
District of Mission jan. 01 2009 bylaw 4046-2008
3. The use of bows and arrows is prohibited on all properties in the District of Mission that are less than 2.2 acres (.89 hectares) in size.

4. Where the use of bows and arrows are permitted:
a. Archery targets of any discription must be placed a minimum of 60 metres from any property line of the property on which the bows and arrows are being used, and situated so that arrows will not be shot in the direction of any public use road.
b. Archery targets must include a minimum 1.2 metre x .8 metre x 2cm. target backing.

5. Penalties
a. Every person who violates any of the provisions of this bylaw or who suffers or permits any act or thing to be done in contravention or in violation of any of the provisions of this bylaw, who neglects to do or refrains from doing anything required to be done by any of the provisions of this bylaw or who does any act which violates any of the provisions of this bylaw, is quilty of an offence against this bylaw and liable to the penalties hereby imposed. Each day that a violation continues to exist shall constitute a separate offence.
b. Every person who commits an offence against this bylaw is liable to a fine and penalty of not more than $2,000.00 and not less than $100.00 for each offence,

Pretty much disallows any backyard practice unless you have a sizable property or farm.

brian
04-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks BigLew, that's the kind of info I was looking for.