PDA

View Full Version : Busy flytying

srupp
04-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Here is my roll top fly tying set up..yes I built the desk also..a working rollthttp://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_27600001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_27590001.jpgop..I am tying trout flies and salmon flies on this rainy cold day..

steven

Dirty
04-19-2009, 02:24 PM
That is a wicked desk, how long did it take you to make it? I wish I had a desk like that!

PGK
04-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Your desk. Kicks my desk's ass. I hear the puddle is ice free? What's your prediction about some other lakes a little northeast of there?

Here's some of my chit
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/Flies-Desk-1.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/Flies-CmidArmy.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/Flies-Stone2.jpg

Dirty
04-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Sparkly flies and Orange Crush, I know what kind of fly fisherman you are. The only thing that is missing is Ketchup chips.

PGK
04-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Sparkly flies and Orange Crush, I know what kind of fly fisherman you are. The only thing that is missing is Ketchup chips.

:lol: The pop can is a clippings tin, actually. Best thing I ever thought up

Tarp Man
04-19-2009, 02:29 PM
That rocks! PGK, I have been drooling over your chronomids on FlyBC. Steven, I see you have great taste in vise selection! Rotary model?

Dirty
04-19-2009, 02:42 PM
That rocks! PGK, I have been drooling over your chronomids on FlyBC. Steven, I see you have great taste in vise selection! Rotary model?

PGK, you tying some of those flies with liquid lace? I saw the guy at the trade show, and his Chironies looked toight.

PGK
04-19-2009, 02:49 PM
PGK, you tying some of those flies with liquid lace? I saw the guy at the trade show, and his Chironies looked toight.

Liquid lace is da bomb. Red thread body + clear liquid lace = traut in boat

Dirty
04-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Liquid lace is da bomb. Red thread body + clear liquid lace = traut in boat

I have to pick some up and start tying with it. Did you read the intstructions for it? You aren't supposed to use normal head cement because it will eat this lace, just in case you didn't know. The guy recommended water based stuff from the hardware store. Where did you pick up the needles to fill the lace with baby oil? I heard they are hard to find. That stuff ties wicked bloodworms.

srupp
04-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Dirty it took 1 year lol when I felt like doing work I did..other days or weeks I didnt lol..its 'scrap" birch solid wood..and has a working rolltop..

There is a BRASS ring you can see..it is a cutout so scrap goes down into the back of the drawer once a week Susan vacumes it out...

The vice is indeed a Regal rotary..with brass pedistal...

it has a wickedly amazing amount of capes, thred hackel etc and thousands and thousands of hooks seriously...I have over 2500 flies tied up for fishing...a illness...

steven

Dirty
04-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Dirty it took 1 year lol when I felt like doing work I did..other days or weeks I didnt lol..its 'scrap" birch solid wood..and has a working rolltop..

There is a BRASS ring you can see..it is a cutout so scrap goes down into the back of the drawer once a week Susan vacumes it out...

The vice is indeed a Regal rotary..with brass pedistal...

it has a wickedly amazing amount of capes, thred hackel etc and thousands and thousands of hooks seriously...I have over 2500 flies tied up for fishing...a illness...

steven

Have you seen the NorVise rotary vise? They are expensive, but definitely nice stuff. I want one of the full out rotary vises.

ultramagbob
04-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Have you seen the NorVise rotary vise? They are expensive, but definitely nice stuff. I want one of the full out rotary vises.

Learn to tie flies first.:lol:

PGK
04-19-2009, 04:07 PM
lol

I don't use the oil with it. Not that I couldn't, I just don't bother. If it takes more than five minutes to tie, it's not efficient. I use normal head cement with it, and have never had it break. But I'm not putting cement all down the body either, just a touch on the bead, and let the thread soak it in.

Dirty
04-19-2009, 04:11 PM
lol

I don't use the oil with it. Not that I couldn't, I just don't bother. If it takes more than five minutes to tie, it's not efficient. I use normal head cement with it, and have never had it break. But I'm not putting cement all down the body either, just a touch on the bead, and let the thread soak it in.

You should try it with the oil. I heard the hooks penetrate better. All kidding aside, when you tie it, you pull and stretch it, and the oil pushes forward, it creates a nice natural taper, and plump look towards the head. It is really neat, you should try it. It doesn't take much extra time, you pull out a length of lace, tie a knot in one end, inject the oil and tie a knot in the other. When you are ready to tie, you tie it in, cut off the knot, do your stuff, then tie it off again, and retie the knot. It is really simple and doesn't waste much time. Check out the website for that stuff, the flies are wicked, http://www.uniqueflyfishing.com/

frenchbar
04-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Nice chronys pgk. i use to tie mine with the lace ,they work good ,but now just use the stretch flex or just thread,altho the thread ones dont hold up like the flex i can get them a lot thinner and they work like a hot dam .

SRUPP.sweet looking tye desk .im envious ,mine looks pretty welfare compared to that:biggrin:

srupp
04-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks Frenchbar..appreciate the compliment. One day when I get the mess cleaned up I will post some photos of some of the ideas I encorporated in the desk...it holds a ton of stuff is really well organized and the top rolls down and locks..it has a great system for spools and hooks...pretty much everything I need or wanted..its al raised panel construction like cabinnet doors..and I can say I made it myself...:biggrin:
i will even post some of my flies..

Steven

BIGHUNTERFISH
04-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Beautiful desk,but I think its time to pull out that carpet and lay down some hardwood .:-)

srupp
04-19-2009, 08:12 PM
lmao..yes the carpet IS DATED..your not the first one to notice that

steven

goatdancer
04-19-2009, 10:35 PM
steven,
Awesome setup, makes mine look like an old workbench in a barn.

frenchbar,
Try coating the thread ones with some clear nail polish. It keeps them together a lot longer.

Smokepole
04-20-2009, 12:30 AM

Have you looked at the Patriot by Griffin? That's my current vise, multiple axis, it really works. Holds every hook size from 18-3/0 with one set of jaws too. Not sure if it's even made anymore, mine is about 10 years old now.

Nice setup Steven, well organized.

srupp
04-20-2009, 04:32 AM
For Chronies I "sometimes " use Roots Elite lace..prefilled oil filled colored ..same idea...Len Root was? from Kamloops..

I add a underwrap of "shaved" lead wire for weight and shine..

Steven

Wild one
04-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Nice desk maybe if I had a desk like that the old lady would stop giving me sh#t for leaving a mess on the kitchen table:lol:

PGK
04-20-2009, 01:22 PM
I used to tie with the oil in the past. Not my cup of tea. It worked, but not any better than without oil.

Dirty
04-20-2009, 02:08 PM
For Chronies I "sometimes " use Roots Elite lace..prefilled oil filled colored ..same idea...Len Root was? from Kamloops..

I add a underwrap of "shaved" lead wire for weight and shine..

Steven

Sounds like the same idea. The guy at the show would shape lead to the hook underneath, and then tie the lace over it.

I like the looks of the Patriot vise, and the price is not that bad either.

srupp
04-20-2009, 04:43 PM
secret to the lead is..shave it after..rub the back of a knife or?? over the lead gets it shiney...that shine comes through the larva lace..and looks like "trapped air......:biggrin:

been tying flies for 30 years....and still love it..

Steven

johnk
04-21-2009, 05:58 AM
SRupp, have you tried the tungsten sheeting. Might eliminate the shaving ritual.

Look at you, PGK in all your chronie tying splendour! Seriously though, I have to agree. The oil is the biggest waste of time in flytying. Put flashabou underneath the liquid lace and voila!

If the oil filling helps with the taper by pushing forward in the tubing then it sounds like there is only oil at the top of the abdomen. Not very productive from my viewpoint!

I have actually bought the prefilled tubing, drained all the oil out and inserted a fine piece of red wire. Makes a neat little pattern and the oil residue helps the wire slide up the inside of the tubing.