PDA

View Full Version : just set up my new sheep hunting tent

Bighorn hunter
04-19-2009, 12:17 PM
The snow has finally melted enough for me to set up my new tent. It certainly has its draw backs, no floor and no mosquito nets but what it lacks there it makes up for in weight. 2.5 lbs for the tent and if needed another 2.5lbs for the wook stove. Plenty roomy enough for for 2 guys and all your sheep gear.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC06008.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13769&size=big&cat=500)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC06007.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13768&size=big&cat=500)

leadpillproductions
04-19-2009, 12:28 PM
what kind of tent is that oh and the stove?

Bighorn hunter
04-19-2009, 12:33 PM
They are from Kifaru

RiverBoatFantasy
04-19-2009, 12:51 PM
I may be a bit "old fashioned" but I believe in having a high quality tent with fly.

I say this as a person who has spent many, many 2 week trips stuck in a tent because of rain, snow, wind - and no plane able to fly in to pick you up.

I shall always carry the extra 5 lbs of a good tent and fly. Always.

Bighorn hunter
04-19-2009, 01:10 PM
I may be a bit "old fashioned" but I believe in having a high quality tent with fly.

I say this as a person who has spent many, many 2 week trips stuck in a tent because of rain, snow, wind - and no plane able to fly in to pick you up.

I shall always carry the extra 5 lbs of a good tent and fly. Always.

I hear what you are saying. But I'll be nice and sug with the wood stove when it's raining or snowing:biggrin:

Tarp Man
04-19-2009, 01:16 PM
How does that work above the treeline? How much did you pay for that setup? I am sure you could find a proper tent with a floor and vestibule that will keep all your stuff dry. If you consider the waterproof coatings on your sleeping bag, all the waterproof stuffsacks you would need, then consider that a REAL tent would negate all that. It looks like a great setup, but I would chose a tent.

d6dan
04-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Thats a good looking tent setup you have there.I wish they made stuff like that 25yrs ago..

kootenayelkslayer
04-19-2009, 01:24 PM
What do you put along the floor to keep things dry in there??

Kody94
04-19-2009, 01:45 PM
I like it. I have been checking them out on Kifaru's site. Thought it would be awesome for remote bighorn, muley and elk hunting. Hadn't really thought of it for northern sheep, for some of the reasons ID'd above (it might not be too comfortable if crap weather sets in for a long time). I'd certainly give it a whirl though! My next trip north will just be with a siltarp and a bivy.

Bighorn hunter
04-19-2009, 01:51 PM
What do you put along the floor to keep things dry in there??

Don't set up in a hollow, and your sleeping pad will keep the ground moisture away from your bag.

I'm quite interested to see how the no floor design works out for sure. Kifaru's site talks about this issue and states that even in heavy rain the water will only creep in a few inches around the perimeter. You can't get your gear that close to the edge.

This tent is basicly the fly without the tent under it.

kootenayelkslayer
04-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Don't set up in a hollow, and your sleeping pad will keep the ground moisture away from your bag.

I'm quite interested to see how the no floor design works out for sure. Kifaru's site talks about this issue and states that even in heavy rain the water will only creep in a few inches around the perimeter. You can't get your gear that close to the edge.

This tent is basicly the fly without the tent under it.

Ya I suppose you'll just have to choose your tent site wisely. I could just see rain run-off being an issue if you were camped up high on the rocks. Shouldn't be as big of an issue if you're camped down low with vegetation on the ground.
Looks like a nice, simple setup though. I like the stove, assuming that you're camped in proximity to some fuel.

Shade Tree
04-19-2009, 07:32 PM
How much was that stove? Looks like it might be good for a Sept. moose hunt.

budismyhorse
04-19-2009, 08:25 PM
thanks for posting!

nice to see a different prespective. I'm sure you have matched this setup with the terrain you hunt (regularly take bighorns :cool:) in.

I can think of a few spots I hunt in this setup would work great in! In fact, this kirafu tarp/stove would be perfect for late pack trips with the horses.....if I guarantee warm mornings, I may even get the odd tirekicking buddy to join me on a hunt during that time of year.

"uhh, yeeaaah, overnight? sure....I think I can swing that...I'll check with my wife and call you Friday night.....at midnight...." ;)

Bighorn hunter
04-19-2009, 08:34 PM
How much was that stove? Looks like it might be good for a Sept. moose hunt.

The stove costs around 250 US. not cheap for its size. They are not ment to keep you warm all night, more just to go to bed nice and toasty and if needed a quick burn in the morning to get the joints ready for another day on the trails.

I am really looking forward to giving it the test this year. It should work great in the area's I am planning to hit:D

boxhitch
04-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Interesting option for sure.
I think I would have a sil-tarp along to complement that one.
Chances are if there is enough wood around for a good fire, then other conveniences can be had also. Additional shelters, bedding, windbreaks, meat cache, food cache.........

budismyhorse
04-19-2009, 08:41 PM
BH, trying to locate it on the site.....how does the stove pipe break down?

tough to tell from the photo.

also, does that pipe have an internal spark arrester?

30-378-magnum
04-19-2009, 08:42 PM
you can get a two person tent that weighe around 4 pounds now for an extra 1.5 lbs im going with a tent that will keep out blowing rain and snow
sleeping in a puddle isnt worth the weight savings

Bighorn hunter
04-19-2009, 08:46 PM
BH, trying to locate it on the site.....how does the stove pipe break down?

tough to tell from the photo.

It is just one piece of stainles roughly 14" wide buy 4' long. it comes with little cable rings to hold it together when installed. for transport you just roll it the other way and end up with a 14" by 2" tube.

bridger
04-19-2009, 09:58 PM
looks like a compact outfit. stove seems small to me to keep much of a fire in it. will make do i guess as long as youhave lots of wood. will be interesting to see how you make out. don't forget to put up a thread after you have used it.

BCrams
04-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Nice looking tent and I can see where I would like to try it !! Look forward to see how you make out with it.

jeeper
04-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Good looking setup !

Bruce

Johnnybear
04-19-2009, 11:02 PM
For all of those with questions here is the manufacture's site. They have a photo section on setting up the stove and price lists etc.
http://kifaru.net./

For certain applications this set up looks great! For the low lying land dig a trench around it:!:. I don't know alot about high elevation hunting so I can't comment about how to deal with rain run off up there.

IMO you can't beat that manufacturer on weight. The material sounds good. I believe Dana owns one of their tents.

hunter1947
04-20-2009, 06:20 AM
Nice tent and stove you have there Cam ,it will do you well when you are in the back country this fall ,thanks for posting it up for all to see http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Rackmastr
04-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Good lookin setup! I have long thought about buying a Kifaru tent and stove, but for now I'm sticking with my Hilleberg Akto and will put it through its paces this year on a Northern bighorn hunt in Alberta.

I, like a few here, cant wrap my head around the no-floor issue, though from all accounts they sound like awesome shelters and thats rarely an issue for people that own them.

Gateholio
04-20-2009, 10:28 AM
For many years, when I was young, we used to sleep under tarps. Just the regular blue and orange tarps you see everywhere. No floor...

We would lash some poles together, and make an a-frame or a million other configurations. On the floor we would use a plastic ground sheet, put sleeping pad on top and finally sleeping bag. With all the ventilation, there was never an issue with condensation.

This is jsut a high tech version of that, and it shoudl work well. Even better, you dont' need poles or trees to tie off on to set it up.:cool:

Kody94
04-20-2009, 10:43 AM
What would concern me is its ability to survive winds and snow in open areas. The no floor thing doesn't bother me much either, except up north in August.

On one of my trips north, my packdog would sleep just outside the door of my tent. I woke up in the middle of the night one time and checked on him with my flashlight and he was being swarmed by a million blackflies. I guess his body heat warmed them up enough (they spend the night in the moss/duff) that they attacked him, despite it being a relatively cool night. Made me VERY glad I had an enclosed tent with netting.

Otherwise, I have done like Gates and spent many nights with just a tarp and never had a problem.

BCRiverBoater
04-25-2009, 10:54 PM
My question would be...where do you plan on sleeping for sheep? Most of the time I am in the rocks and there is not enough wood to start any sort of stove. You must plan on being down near the treeline.

No doubt the tent will be light.

gamehunter6o
04-25-2009, 11:26 PM
That set up looks like trouble to me. If the weather turned to shite, that's where you'd be.:shock:

hunter1947
04-26-2009, 05:45 AM
It don't matter to me about what ifs ,the way I see it is the stove is there if you need it.

dana
04-26-2009, 08:51 AM
That is a sweet tent. Way to go! I'm sure your going to love it. Had I been looking for a smaller tent, that is the one I would have went with.

gamehunter6o
04-26-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure what BC Search and Rescue advise, but NZ S&R advise "when going into the mountains, hope for the best, prepare for the worst".
Minimun requirement would be, waterproof floor, fly over top. The fire box looks too small to hold a fire for long with out more small sticks.

Lone Ranger
04-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Just gotta say... you sheep guys are hardcore!

I used to camp like that when I was 18, now I'm getting lazy and have moved up to a camper sized "tent"! Cool setup though. LR

Bighorn hunter
04-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Didn't get to use this set up last year as the early sheep trip got cancelled. My sheep hunting partner just finalized his holidays for the first part of the sheep season.So it is a go to give this set up its first test. Will not be taking the stove to save on weight.Will post up some pics after the hunt.The wait is killing me!!

Cheers
BH

ryanb
04-02-2010, 11:03 PM
In my opinion, a floorless tent like this is good for winter camping when you can make use of the stove and are not going to have issues with rain/runoff.

I much prefer a floor for 3 season camping.

yukon john
04-02-2010, 11:06 PM
love the stove but the tent makes me feel cold and damp already, its all worth it if you get the ram though good luck

hunter1947
04-03-2010, 04:06 AM
Didn't get to use this set up last year as the early sheep trip got cancelled. My sheep hunting partner just finalized his holidays for the first part of the sheep season.So it is a go to give this set up its first test. Will not be taking the stove to save on weight.Will post up some pics after the hunt.The wait is killing me!!

Cheers
BH

We will just have to wait and see how happy you are with your new tent Cam I know one thing you can't get them any lighter then this one http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif..

Deaddog
04-03-2010, 08:17 AM
two of our party used a floorless tent model on our sheep hunt last year, we had all sorts of weather, it worked well and the guys stayed dry..the stove doesn't hold heat all night but that is not the purpose of it, it is really to take the chill off after a hard days hunt, we were above tree line and still had no problem finding enough "scraps" to keep the stove going when needed... that said I still pack my 8 pound four season, three man tent!!

bridger
04-03-2010, 08:50 AM
looks like a cool outfit my only concern with the no floor is if you have to find a dry spot after several days of rain or an early august snow storm in the sheep ranges. good luck on your hunt.

Brett
04-03-2010, 09:16 AM
you can get a two person tent that weighe around 4 pounds now for an extra 1.5 lbs im going with a tent that will keep out blowing rain and snow
sleeping in a puddle isnt worth the weight savings

The MSR 2 man I just bought weighs 2lb 14oz

dana
04-03-2010, 09:37 AM
The native cultures have used floorless tents for thousands of years. Funny how modern man thinks he knows better eh? While you boys are huddled in your sleeping bags during a whiteout, afraid to go out because you have no method to dry out your gear, I'll be dogging a hawg track right at the timber edge. ;)

Bighorn hunter
04-03-2010, 09:38 AM
The MSR 2 man I just bought weighs 2lb 14oz

Just checked out your new tent. Looks preatty sweat.I am quite interested my self to see how the no floor design goes, and will almost be looking forward to a good wind and rain storm to see how well it works out.The one thing I really like about my set up is there is close to 80 sqft of tent space as aposed to the 43 sqft of your msr two man including the vestible.At 2 lbs 10oz I am hoping my set up shines as well as advertised.If not I will be in the market for some thing along the MSR line.

SHACK
04-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Tipi style tents have been arround for ages, because they work! That Kifaru will serve you exceptionaly well, and the stove will be a nice little bonus to take the "edge" of on the cold damp trips/days!
I just got my Golite and think its a great set up and I believe it will serve me very well, If I ad the bug nest its just over 4 pounds for a 3 man tent, and thats hard to come by! Although I always believe they rate the amount of people who can sleep in a tent using a 90 lb soaking wet woman, so mine will sleep 2 plus gear in absolute comfort, with room to sit up, as well as kneel, and move around without having to "spoon" with your hunting partner!! 2 1/2 pounds pictured

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/IMGP0002.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/IMGP0003.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/IMGP0005.jpg

dutchie
04-03-2010, 01:41 PM
There is a sinilar one on ebay right now, but it has a floor...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ULTRALIGHT-INTEGRAL-DESIGNS-SILSHELTER-BUGLINER_W0QQitemZ270556274714QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efe69201a

seems to be a good price.

Dutchie

mudbud
04-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Hey Shack

I have been using that exact same golite hex tent for 4 years of mountain hunting. It is great. I built a carbon fiber center pole to further cut down on weight. I made a floor out of silnylon that anchors to the side. The tent is great you can sit up in it, more floor space than anything else even close to the same weight

SHACK
04-03-2010, 04:29 PM
I have been toying in my head for a few Ideas to change out the pole to lighten up the outfit another 6oz's or so. Its not gonna make a difference at the tree line because you can suspend the peak, but above that you will need to pitch it with a pole. I will agree about the usable floor space....nothing else comes close, just plain roomy at over 94 square feet IIRC.

mudbud
04-03-2010, 06:49 PM
I used an old set of ultralight trekking poles to make a center pole, works great, saved lots of weight