PDA

View Full Version : salmon heads needed..

srupp
04-19-2009, 10:12 AM
anyone got any salmon heads?? I need a couple 3-4 for crab bait for upcoming crab/hali trip..

I am in Williams Lake however I have someone in Vancouver area that could pick some up also..

Thanks

Steven

Marc
04-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Steve, try using chicken thighs. I've had better luck with the thighs then salmon heads for catching crabs and they stay together longer as well. Let them sit out overnight.

Marc.

elkdom
04-19-2009, 10:46 AM
some NICE elk steaks would work ;-)

and may attract the KING of Crabs :lol:

Wild one
04-19-2009, 11:14 AM
I can offer you trout as I have a bunch of morts from the farm in my freezer

palmer
04-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Chicken ..gets backs and necks from a butcher CHEAP...

plumbob
04-19-2009, 11:45 AM
chicken is what we always use,leave it out in the sun for about an hour and your ready.

ultramagbob
04-19-2009, 11:50 AM
The man wants salmon heads..give the man salmon heads

srupp
04-19-2009, 01:57 PM
lmao @ Ultramagbob..I asked for salmon heads cuz I was ignorant about the chicken trick.:roll:

Thanks ALL I learned something new today..

I will try this trick.:biggrin: I appreciate the help and knowlege.

cheers

Steven

ultramagbob
04-19-2009, 03:09 PM
has anyone tried those commercial pellets?

betteroffishing
04-19-2009, 03:16 PM
funny you ask , a buddy is trying them little pellets out for the first time today , he was asking me yesterday if i had ever tried them which i havent but i should have an answer tonight on their crab catching prowess.

srupp
04-19-2009, 03:28 PM
could you PLEASE post his results and oppinions??

Steven

westhoyt
04-19-2009, 07:12 PM
I have used der liver or moose hearts, lots of blood works good

betteroffishing
04-19-2009, 07:17 PM
this just in , pellets worked as well as the raw chicken , no better , no worse.

betteroffishing
04-19-2009, 07:19 PM
should note this was an overnight soak , might be a better plan to use the raw meat if short soaking as im sure the pellets take a little longer to " milk out"

Salty
04-20-2009, 11:00 AM
has anyone tried those commercial pellets?

Not for crabs but for prawns 10-4. I've always been a natural bait snob using carcasses of whatever fish I'm filleting. On a recent trip up Knight's my buddy brought a bunch of fish farm pellets and we test fished on day one with fresh bait and the pellets. By day 2 we had switched exclusively to pellets as those traps did the best. :???:I was surprised at this, but seen it with me own eyes. ..

For crabs, I have always been more successful giving them a feed and not just scent from a bait can. Once one or two get in there and start chewing on a (well tied off in the middle of the trap) fish head/ carcass more come in a hurry. :cool:

I'm sure pellets would catch some crabs too. I've just been told by too many commercial guys you need to let crabs feed for the best fishing. As above, that's been my experience too.

Steven- I could line you up with some bait if you knew someone traveling your way from the north end of the island by chance, ..

Charlie
04-20-2009, 11:10 AM
I use fish carcasses as well. I get them from the local fishery. Its amazing what the guys will give you on Friday for a case of beer. ;)

I still have 50+ lbs of fish remains in the deep freeze waiting for me to hook them into the pot.

I use the "Deadliest Catch" style of baiting, a SS hook through the mouth and gill clamped to the top of the pot in the middle. I put one or 2 carcasses per pot and go check them every couple hours while we spend the day on the beach with the kids.

Experience has told me to only use the SS traps made locally here.

I use the pellets for Prawns with a longer soak 6 +/- hours and they seem to work well.

BiG Boar
04-20-2009, 11:41 AM
clamped to the top of the pot in the middle.
Now that is something I didnt think about.

Salty
04-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Now that is something I didnt think about.

Your in plenty of company. A lot of folks just toss the bait in the trap - problem is the crabs will feed quite happily from outside the trap if they can ;-) Tie it off good in the middle so they have to get in to eat. ..

srupp
04-20-2009, 11:59 AM
hmnmmmm well I got some chicken on the way..... to start..and then we will use some halibut heads..:eek: still have several weeks till the excursion...should be a lot of fun, got a black bear tag and halibut and fresh coastal crabs...

Thanks for all the info...

Cheers

Steven

Johnnybear
04-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Sounds like a great trip Srupp:D. Good luck and remember to post up some photos for us.

Mr. Dean
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
hmnmmmm well I got some chicken on the way..... to start..and then we will use some halibut heads..:eek: still have several weeks till the excursion...should be a lot of fun, got a black bear tag and halibut and fresh coastal crabs...

Thanks for all the info...

Cheers

Steven

Toss in the WHOLE Hali carcass. The best crab bait available IMHO.... Fresh is best.

huntcoop
04-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Coming out to the coast for 'buts and crabs, sounds like an interesting charter :shock: . Good luck.