PDA

View Full Version : Hunting on Farmers land, where do I find the rules

Phoneguy
04-18-2009, 10:40 PM
A buddy lives near a bunch of blueberry farms in Mission/Pitt Meadows. Some of the farmers have trouble with bears and we though we might help out. I have been looking for the regs or rules. I am aware that there is some sort of permit the farmer has to get and then he can appoint hunters under that licence. I can't find the rules or regs on the government environment site or the fish and wildlife site.

Anyone have any advice or point me in the right direction?

Thanks
James

Fisher-Dude
04-18-2009, 10:44 PM
First step would be to check with the municipality to see what their rules are about firearms etc. And check with the cops.

digger dogger
04-19-2009, 08:20 AM
look @ a fraser valley speacial licence map (government access center) if it's open and in a hunting zone let fly. look for bow/shotgun only areas. having written permission on you is a good idea too. good luck.

MichelD
04-19-2009, 09:51 AM
If you look at the Fraser Valley special Area Hunting map you'll see it is shotguns with shot only.

Phoneguy
04-19-2009, 02:35 PM
What if it is out of the special hunting areas, but the farmers are concerned about their crops. I think it is called a depradation permit? I am aware that the farmer needs to get a crop protection permit and can elect someone else to do the "dirty work". I was trying to find the rules that we need to follow.

I am aware of the Fraser Valley special hunting area regs (but I need to re-read the section on legal guns (eg multi projectile).

James

Dirty
04-19-2009, 02:40 PM
What if it is out of the special hunting areas, but the farmers are concerned about their crops. I think it is called a depradation permit? I am aware that the farmer needs to get a crop protection permit and can elect someone else to do the "dirty work". I was trying to find the rules that we need to follow.

I am aware of the Fraser Valley special hunting area regs (but I need to re-read the section on legal guns (eg multi projectile).

James

The area must be in the special area map. If it says no shooting, you need to see if this is a bylaw. Go the the municipal/city hall. If you get the crop depredation permit, they can still use bylaws to screw you around. They can say no hunting with rifles or shotguns, bow only. You are best off to contact the municipal hall, and then get the farmer to contact the ministry of agriculture. I am sure they can sort out the legalities of it. For the most part, it just becomes a big hassle, with people calling the cops and fiascos transpiring. I know from experience with this type of thing.

Phoneguy
04-19-2009, 02:53 PM
On close examination of the map it appears that it may fall in the "by permission of owner area". More investigation is needed.