PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a Backpack

Tank
04-18-2009, 03:02 PM
My dad is the proud new owner of a J107 Eberlestock pack from Seals in Calgary. The pack is pretty comfortable off of the shelf, but he didn't figure that the guy who sold it to him was too knowlegable when it came to properly adjusting the pack for a personal fit. The only advice I have to offer is the standard "keep most of the weight on your hips".

Does anyone have any professional hints or suggestions to get a perfect fit for a pack? Thanks!

mcrae
04-18-2009, 03:07 PM
I went to the Eberelestock webpage if I remember correctly. It took some tweaking but the J107 is a very comfortable pack...

Fitting our Packs
We come in all shapes and sizes, so it's pretty tough to design a pack that's comfortable for everybody. But it's a rare customer indeed that doesn't find that the Just One is a super-comfortable pack that puts a heavy load in just the right place -- off the shoulders and onto the pelvis.
To fit the pack to your body, start by loosening the shoulder straps enough so that the pack settles right down onto the top of your hips, and the bottom of the lumbar pad rests on your upper pelvis. Then crank the waist belt tight. Next, adjust the shoulder straps to bring the pack snugly around your shoulders. (On the J105 or Skycrane, this is a good place to check the vertical placement of the shoulder straps. Adjust for torso length by moving the attachment point for comfort, and so that there is no bunching of the shoulder strap padding). Next, buckle and adjust the chest strap for comfort, and to control the lateral placement of the shoulder straps. Slide the sternum strap vertically up or down (its attachment clips slide on the pack strap webbing) as necessary. Finally, crank the top-pull adjustment straps snug to bring the top of the pack closer to your body.

338 winmag
04-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Heres a good link off REI :

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/backpacks+adjusting+fit.html

Tank
04-20-2009, 05:58 AM
Thanks guys!