PDA

View Full Version : motor not discharging water???

willyqbc
04-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Okay so i picked up this 15HP Honda 4 stroke from a buddy of mine. It is a 2001 and has not been run for over a year. I got it all hooked up to the battery and submerged the leg in a garbage can full of water and hit the electric start. It fired up instantly and began to idle nicely. Everything looked real good except there was not water coming out the water discharge. I took the screens off the intake and made sure there was nothing plugging it and removed the line to the discharge hole and checked it as well. Everything looked clear and my owners manual does not mention anything else to look for?? Any ideas on why the water is not flowing? Is this something I can tackle myself or am I going to have to take it to a mechanic???

Any info appreciated
Thanks
Chris

wolverine
04-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Your impeller is shot and not pumping water. Don't know if you can fix it yourself or not. If you have manuals and a little mechanical ability it's not too difficult. Other than that it's a quick fix at the outboard shop. The trick is getting in and out before fishing season ends.

SUAFOYT
04-17-2009, 07:28 PM
I agree that the impeller could be shot, but was this engine used in salt and then not flushed? Hardened salt can cause major blockages. I have a 20 Honda and have the flush attachment. Might want to check b4 paying a shop rate you might not have to pay.

Trapper
04-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Sounds like the water pump,usually its a rubber inpelor(spelling) in the leg of the outboard.not sure about the 15 hp. for sure,but best take it to mechanic. its not a big deal to repair

gmcgilli66
04-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Don't run until it's fixed!!! You could run a wire back up through the tell tale hole if it's plugged. Otherwise it's likely to be the impeller. Either way, it will seriously overheat without water flow. Git 'er done!!

srupp
04-17-2009, 08:36 PM
all good sound advice.

steven

Ambush
04-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Some of the older small Hondas used a type of thermostat that didn't allow water to pass untill the engine warmed up.
Check with the Honda dealer before you start tearing the bottom end off.

But if the impellor is old, then it should be replaced as a pre-cautionary measeure any way.

lip_ripper00
04-18-2009, 12:22 AM
At the pee hole, use an air chuck and blow back through the cooling system with the motor NOT running, use no more than 50 lbs psi. Pull motor over slowly. Unless its been overheated in the past I can't see the impeller being toasted in 8 years>

7mag700
04-18-2009, 08:38 AM
It's not a big deal to drop the lower leg to get at the impeller. It's a good idea to check it too while your at it. Running the motor aground or into a sandbar will suck sand/dirt into the intake, which will then stay inside the impeller and sand it down so the clearance between it and the housing is too big and it pumps less efficiently.

My buddy ran my 100HP Yamaha 4 stroke into a sandbar while we were crabbing years ago. Impeller was done for in one shot. He never got to drive the brand new Suzuki 225 on the next boat :p

7m7

spreerider
04-18-2009, 11:06 AM
The rubber impellers if not used get hard and crack, then when you start the motor they turn and break all the fins off. I have replaced a few impellers in the past and its usually not a bad job, except on some of the newer motors they can be tricky to get back together afterwards.

bowhunterbruce
04-18-2009, 12:29 PM
just about every time i have ever used a water pump i had to prime the pump (fill it up with water first )before you even turn it on there should be a plug you can easly remove to fill it up or you can just fill up your intake hose all the way and be sure you drain some of into your impellar housing,you should hear the change happen almost instantly as it starts to pic up water ,if you dont repeat until you do.
good luck

Jetboater
04-18-2009, 05:35 PM
I think the hondas are thermostaticilly controled... I could answer that on monday for sure.if you pull the leg off make sure not to pinch anything...

westhoyt
04-19-2009, 07:16 PM
check thermostat before pulling leg off, also take the fitting out of the block where outlet hose hooks up, it is probably plugged there, If it was never flushed you will probably have to pull leg .

7mag700
04-20-2009, 11:21 AM
The engine should still pump water intake-to-outlet whether the thermostat opens or not.

7m7