PDA

View Full Version : Butcher Bashing

buckslayer
11-18-2005, 10:32 AM
First let me say i am in no way defending an of the shops that people have had bad experiences with. I just hope to enlighten some of you with some facts. I am not going to pull any punches here so i expect to get pretty beat up maybe kicked off the site who knows but here it goes.

I work at a small shop that processes game as well as domestic animals. We process approximately 250 game animals in a hunting season with few complaints most of the complaints are from misunderstandings.

1 When you bring your game in consider this is it clean inside and out, has it been hanging, where is it shot, was it skinned hot or cold and was it rutting. as all these things will tell how long you can hang the animal and what kind of loss you can expect to have. Game in the rut are stressed and don't hang as well as others as well cold skinned animals don't tend to keep as well in the cooler either. If its not clean or is gut shot this will lead to excess trimming as i go by the rule that "if i would not eat it how can i expect you to". Also did you shoot it in the leg shoulder spine or guts as any of these areas destroy large amounts of meat and require lots of trimming (if it is gut shot or the guts are ripped while you gut it this all has to be trimmed away as it is contaminated). If you hit bone in the leg, shoulder or the spine the bone explodes and causes major damage to the area. (I have had to throw out most of a deer or moose leg that was hit in the bone as there was literally nothing edible left) Hence a great loss of meat. On a well shot and looked after animal you can expect to loose about 1/3 of the hanging weight to bone and trimming. On a poorly shot or looked after animal you will loose way more.

2 Remember that it is a deer / moose that you are bringing in not a cow so don't come in with a list as long as my arm of things you want from your animal because it just cant happen.Beef are shot or pinned in the head so they do not have any damage to the body they do not have blood between all the tissues around the entry / exit wound are split down the center exactly with a splitting saw (not a chainsaw as i have seen many a moose split or even deer) remember all the prime cuts are along the spine t bone steaks, chops and prime rib or rib steaks so if you expect the good cuts don't destroy this area as i cant repair the damage you have done. Be specific as to what you expect back and in order of preference if you want more roasts or more steaks ect say so as we cant read your mind. Sausage needs a certain amount of trim in it pork or beef and fat otherwise it would be like chewing a rubber ball and yes you will be charged for this its not free to us so why would we give it to you.(If i wanted you to paint my car or house would the paint be free or would i be charged for it). we tell our customers before hand that we have to put trim into the sausage and if others don't I'm sorry for this and it is not to pad the bill or sell product its to make you a good quality sausage that you will enjoy.

3 As for being charged for cutting wrapping and freezing your game each step in the process takes time and people to do it who all for some reason expect to be paid for doing this as do you for the job you do so yes it costs money to process your game. Also you have to pay rent, power, gas and phone bills and equipment costs and trust me food service equipment is expensive or look on a website that supplies equipment and see for yourself. in order to do this as do most business also wood shavings and natural gas for smoking sausage and hams ect and paper tape ect to package your product. There is overhead in any business and it is always passed down to the consumer. If you think this price is too high try to process a deer yourself and see how long it takes. I am an employee of the company and I do this to make a living for myself and my family and yes i expect to get paid for the work i do.

4 As for bringing your game in after hours or unskinned how may of you at the drop of a hat would stop whatever you are doing to run into work and take in an animal/job whenever the customer decided to show up. I will do this as a courtesy to my customers if i am not tied up with something else. I have already been at work for probably at least 10 hours on any given day during hunting season so keep that in mind when you show up at 10 or 11 o clock at night from your long hunting trip, your animal has to be hung up and made sure its all clean so not to contaminate the other game hanging in the cooler. Also skinning takes time and you will be charged for this (again i will not work for nothing would you). We have had a group's of hunters phone to say they were bringing in several animals so you wait for them then they show up with their 6 deer and a moose all with skin on at 11 at night nothing can go in the cooler without being skinned and cleaned so you spend the next 6 hours skinning and cleaning their game so it can be put in the cooler. I do not know of any other business where you will be catered to in this way but it is expected of us. Every animal in our shop is individually tagged and processed so you get back your animal nothing more nothing less.

sorry to be so long winded but i could not take the whining that i see going on in the forums without at least educating some of these people as to what actually goes on inside the butcher shop. There are unscrupulous people in any business but as for stealing some of your meat no thanks, i will hunt my own or there is plenty of Beef pork or other meat in the shop to eat.

I will always do my best to please any customers and treat each animal if it was my own as far as cleaning and trimming and cut as close to what you want as possible and give you back the best product i can but remember it all starts with the care of the animal and shot placement you make long before i see it. Remember what you bring in is what you get back so take care of it please. thanks for you time and i hope this makes everything a little clearer for everyone.

Buckslayer

Steeleco
11-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Thanks for some imput from the other side of the fence Buckslayer. I appreciate what you had to say, I like most try to take the best care of an animal before it gets to the shop, but I think in the lower mainland especially with the loss of the reduction plant and the CWD scare a lot of good cutters are not taking game meat anymore, thus leaving the others to carry the load.

I have only used three butchers in these parts, two of which are taking bad press on the other thread. The reason I switched from the first two was attitude, the first being a BAD and a foul mouth, the second one just didn't care about what I wanted and I got back whatever was given. As a result I'm really keen to learn how to do it myself on smaller animals and have a reliable pro for what I can't handle.

I wish we lived closer to each other.

TinMan
11-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Very well said. There are always 2 sides to the story unfortunatley we only hear the hunters side of things. Thanks for bringing the other half to light.

00BuckMag
11-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Good on ya Buckslayer,I was taught by my Dad that the work starts the minute you've pulled the trigger,from dragging it out,to skinning and taking care of your game once it's skinned and wiped down with a vinager-water mixture.I have taken my game to numerous butchers,and have had all great results,they know when a hunter has taken care of an animal or when the game has to be cared for when it reaches the meat cutters shop.Good on ya for explaining the eticate of a meatcutters shop.

buckslayer
11-18-2005, 11:04 AM
As a ps to my above statement i would love to be able to have everyone watch the entire process from start to finish to see exactly what is involved and to see what has to be done and the time it takes to return a quality product to you the hunter, but unfortunately there is not that much time lol.

Marc
11-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks Buckslayer good information. I've seen what hapens first hand as I've butchered up a few of my own animals. If you dont poke him in the ribs or in the head/neck area you're going to lose some meat. I finished off a bear last spring ,shot it through the ribs and into the oposite shoulder. We lost that shoulder, the bone shattered and it was just a big pile of jello.

I've been watching the post about people complaining about other butchers and it's bordering to the point of slandering, which is a criminal offence. This is the Internet but trust me they can still trace it back to where you live. Now in the case of loosing someone's animal then yah I think I'd have something to complain about.

Marc.

buckslayer
11-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Now in the case of loosing someone's animal then yah I think I'd have something to complain about.

Marc.

Yes i agree with that one (dont see how it could be done) but I agree

ex bc guide
11-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Very well said buckslayer.
Mike

MB_Boy
11-18-2005, 11:33 AM
As a ps to my above statement i would love to be able to have everyone watch the entire process from start to finish to see exactly what is involved and to see what has to be done and the time it takes to return a quality product to you the hunter, but unfortunately there is not that much time lol.

ROAD TRIP !!!!:grin:

Seriously though....thanks for the post...very well said. I guess back in MB we have always had very good luck with an old family favourite butcher for moose. We process our own deer, but I just cut where and how I am told....lol.

partsman
11-18-2005, 12:06 PM

Well I have been able to watch and assist a bit when our game used to be processed, but the fellow went into guiding Fisherman, so that was the end of a good butcher.

But I appreciate your adding your reply to this, it is true we can get carried away in the bashing, and yes there are two sides to a story.

Glad you chimed in.:smile:

Brambles
11-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I have no problems with what you are saying, I cut all my own meat and understand how much time and prep it takes. I also have first hand experiance cutting badly bloodshot front quarters and because of that I prefer to head shoot any game animal that I can get a good shot on. Sucks when you shoot a little high and split the horns but that only happens occasionally.

Well said and thanks for the post

Brambles

Elkhound
11-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Well said for sure. My Grandpa always said there is 3 sides to every story. Your side, the other's side and the truth

mgnm300
11-18-2005, 03:21 PM
well said buckslayer,,it's about time someone opened the eyes of some people that think everything should be perfect when it doesn't even start with the proper handling of game.,i'd say most people are used to the fancy packaging they get from safeway

Barracuda
11-18-2005, 03:40 PM
I think alot of folks blame the butcher for poorly shot or dressed game.

mainland hunter
11-18-2005, 03:54 PM
at the same time if a butcher treats you poorly and his service sucks its nice to be able to warn others about them, keeps em accountable. generally i cut my own meat and have never had a problem with a butcher but im sure there's instances where the butcher isnt entirely honest either and then by all means bash away. as long as you first make sure you werent the one being an idiot

oldtimer
11-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Buckslayer--- EXCELLENT POST !!!!!!! As for cleaning an animal that is how I was taught and that is what I passed on to my son. NO BLOOD, NO HAIR, ( he couldn't figure out why we had to pick every one off. lol ) Thanks again for an excellent post. Mike

blindbob
11-18-2005, 05:40 PM
If your not satisfied with the product you received do it yourself and see if you do better.

BlacktailStalker
11-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Personally if I was a butcher or worked in a butcher shop, I wouldnt take unskinned game, lots of places here wont, for that reason you stated of guys showing up at odd hours with an unprepped animal.
I like getting a whole deer into strictly pepperoni and italian sausages every year and I'm pretty sure they dont put those choice cuts like tenderloins or backstraps in there for me, as I've heard from an inside source.
MY friend and I took a bear into another place years ago, not skinned, which they said was fine, we wanted it all made into pepperoni, vaccum sealed. We told them we'd be away for a couple weeks and couldnt get it, they said no problem as they were really busy. Well, 3 weeks later we went in to get it, the skin job was $50, which is fine, $50 bucks for "storing" the hide LoL, we never said we wanted it, they thought we did, and if they did why was it lookin like it went through a shredder. The pepperoni was in huge lengths, coiled into cardboard boxes, with no wrap or tape on the box, with 1/4" of freezer frost on it. Bill total, $240. I told them to shove it up their ass and never went back, obviously.
On the other hand I know guys who wine about how much they get back, but they've never seen anything deboned and realized how much smaller everything is. PLus they guess their island deer was 125lbs on the hook lol and its 70 lbs. Dead weight is heavy.
A good butcher is good to have, hunters are such a tight group of people, word of mouth spreads like the plague.