PDA

View Full Version : First Turkey down :)

model88
04-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Well, went out this morning to try my luck at turkey hunting. Parked the truck, walked for about 5 minutes, called and wouldnt you know it, I hear a gobble!!

So off into the timber I go, get set up, hes not moving, down I go and see why, theres another ridge between us, set up again, still not moving. OK, one more ridge to cross, boy their gobbles carry a long ways lol. Ok, now he is close, get set up again, start callin really aggressive and hear he comes, he crosses in front of me a little to far for a shot, dont want to put the gun down to call, well wouldnt you know it, hes circling around again, sticks his head out from behind a bush no more than 20yrds away :-)

And so ended my first turkey hunt of the year, not a monster tom, but he is just fine for my first of many more, I am hooked, that was so much fun calling him in, whole hunt took around an hour of calling and moving.

Now before I get a hard time about pics, I am trying lol. I will post them asap.

rocksteady
04-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Congrats....First day out and you score a turkey...Sweet...

Looking forward to the pics..

boxhitch
04-17-2009, 10:11 AM
That makes it sound easy, congrats.
Were you gobbling him in ?

huntwriter
04-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Congratulations on your first turkey. I see you learned an important lesson right of the bat. Turkeys do not cross obstacles to investigate hen calls. Obstacles can be as described by you, ridges and hills, but also fences, creeks, river and even roads. The reason? A tom expects the hen to come to him.

I can fully understand that you’re hooked. After 15 years of chasing gobblers all over North America I am still addicted to it, only the expectations have changed. Now I chase trophy gobblers and my goal is to finish the grand slam (tom of every sub species) that I started several years ago.

Welcome to the club.:-)

04-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Sounds like Fun and congrats to you, I wish I lived closer to the Bearded Beasts environment.

Post some pic's !!!

CT

moosehunter21
04-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Congrats! I wish I still could be in the east koots for turkey season.
Hope to see pics soon!

kennyj
04-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Congratulations!Calling any animal is a blast.I'd love to try hunting turkeys some day.Sounds pretty addictive though,Have to be careful.
kenny

showtimebc
04-17-2009, 11:48 AM
right on!

I've never hunted or eaten wild turkey, but does it taste just like the ones you buy in the stores?

7mag700
04-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Awesome! Man I WISH there were turkeys up here. Congrats.

7m7

model88
04-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys, I was using a box hen call, didnt even know if I was doing it right but it must have been good enough :-o

Once I was set up at the bottom of the last ridge, he came probably about 150yrds, not sure how much he had moved when I first started calling.

I am still working on the pics, keeps telling me its to big of a file, argh, I work with 'puters all day long and still cant figure them out some days :oops:

Kody94
04-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys, I was using a box hen call, didnt even know if I was doing it right but it must have been good enough :-o

Once I was set up at the bottom of the last ridge, he came probably about 150yrds, not sure how much he had moved when I first started calling.

I am still working on the pics, keeps telling me its to big of a file, argh, I work with 'puters all day long and still cant figure them out some days :oops:

WTG M88! Sounds like a hoot! Looking forward to you getting the pics up.

I hope to get out this weekend....am excited. Looking for my first too.

Cheers!

Krico
04-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Congrats! I tried turkey hunting for the first time last year, what a blast!!! (no pun intended...) Unfortunately due to work commitments I could not go this year, but my buddy managed to pick one up opening morning and is likely working to get one for his uncle now, if they haven't already done so.
REEEEALY wish I was down there hunting gobblers!!!
Way to go!!!

huntwriter
04-17-2009, 02:11 PM

The box is a great call to use, but as you said in your first post ones the gun is up you can't call anymore. Here is a little tip from me that will make a huge difference. Get yourself a push button call in addition to the call you have. Most push button calls can be strapped to the gun barrel and operated by pulling on a string. It’s a great way to produce the seductive purrs and soft yelps every gobbler likes to hear with the gun shouldered and ready to fire. It’s often all that is needed to make the tom take the last few crucial steps.

I am looking forward to see the pictures.:smile: If you have problems with it send it to me and I will put them up here for you.

matt420
04-17-2009, 02:56 PM
congrats man i been out 2 times now and only hear one respond but couldnt find him :( o well still got lots of time to get out and try

rocksteady
04-17-2009, 04:21 PM
:shock::shock:Still no pictures...Must be a hoax......:razz:

born2hunt
04-17-2009, 04:29 PM
we were all haxed where all the pictures? its a hoax tbh lololol congrats btw on the gobbler if it,s true rofl

eastkoot
04-17-2009, 05:34 PM
88, did you stay in the Valley or go south ? I had a few toms answer south (Elko 93) but nothing coming in yet.. Took the day off to roto rake the lawn, if that's allowed during turkey season??..Lotsa time yet.. Have been screwed up a few times by hunters from AB.. Seems they are on lottery in AB and for 135 bucks can hunt in B.C. Too bad we don't own hotels in Elko this week!! That first turkey is pretty exciting, almost like calling in an elk but alot less to pack out...

d6dan
04-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Model88, congrats on a successful turkey hunt. I know my bro GF is out trying and its alot harder than most people think, again, congrats...maybe some pics?.

dirtybucker
04-17-2009, 07:58 PM
YOU SUCK!!!!!:smile: haha nice work bud congrats i head down next week

model88
04-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Eastkoot, I was down in the South Country, I had heard it was crazy down there with road hunters, so I made sure I was there at first light. I never saw or even heard another hunter while I was there. But sure saw lots heading down as I drove home!!!

If somebody wants to post the one crappy pic I got, I will email it to them, untill I can figure out this posting thin lol.

hunter1947
04-18-2009, 05:48 AM
Way to go the Shaun on the gobbler.

Now you have one in the freezer for this falls Thanksgiving din ,din.

As for big crowds hear in Courtney you have that right ,but I go where others won't go ,LOL.

riflebuilder
04-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Way to go congrats. Turkeys are a lot of fun to call. I just need to get my florida turkey to complete the turkey slam. They say that the Eastern is the hardest to get but that one was easy for me ( must of been a dumb one)

Kody94
04-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Eastkoot, I was down in the South Country, I had heard it was crazy down there with road hunters, so I made sure I was there at first light. I never saw or even heard another hunter while I was there. But sure saw lots heading down as I drove home!!!

If somebody wants to post the one crappy pic I got, I will email it to them, untill I can figure out this posting thin lol.

M88, you can e-mail itto me at staggerino@hotmail.com. I can get it posted this evening.

Would have been out there this AM but my truck sprung a major friggen leak and I'm grounded until they can fix it monday. Argh.

Cheers bud,
C

model88
04-18-2009, 11:42 AM
M88, you can e-mail itto me at staggerino@hotmail.com. I can get it posted this evening.

Would have been out there this AM but my truck sprung a major friggen leak and I'm grounded until they can fix it monday. Argh.

Cheers bud,
C

SSSSter, its been sent, thanks eh. Sorry to hear about your truck, I wont say anything bad about Dodges, untill after you post my pic :lol:

Kody94
04-18-2009, 11:56 AM
SSSSter, its been sent, thanks eh. Sorry to hear about your truck, I wont say anything bad about Dodges, untill after you post my pic :lol:

I wouldn't want to keep you from it ;), and I still find myself house-bound, so here is the pic... :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/shaun_turkey_2009.jpg

(Go ahead and razz...FWIW though, I honestly can't blame the truck...the gents that installed my lift are having a little trouble with the seal on the indexing ring that they had to put in between the transfer case and transmission.)

Nice bird...I woulda whacked it too!

Cheers,
C

rocksteady
04-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Picture posted, means that its true and not just an internet hoax....:lol::lol:

Congrats again, will wait for the review of how good/bad it tastes, I have never eaten wild turkey....I am sure Newhunterette has a recipe speacially for you....Or it, however you look at it...

Muleycatcher
04-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Nice bird, hopefully it is good eating.

Fisher-Dude
04-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Good job on the gobbler M88!

The only "turkey" I saw today was a turkey vulture eating a dead 'coon. :redface:

model88
04-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks for posting my pic SSSSter, not the best but I knew that if I was going to post something on here that I better have a pic of it :eek:

Thanks again guys, gunna cook him up tonite in the deep fryer, mmmm :smile:

sapper
04-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Congrats. We just got back in tonight from our weekend trip to Christina Lake area. We saw one hen near homes and had some responses to our calling yesterday morning but then he just stopped and wouldn't talk to us at all. We didn't see or hear another turkey. Considering it was our first time trying turkey hunting we were just happy we actually had some responses to our calls.
We saw lots of deer and scouted out some new territory though. Of course, we were also in the woods for the first time since the fall and and having fun together with good friends.
Somebody did have some success up there though as one of the locals at the coffee shop had heard a success story from somebody about a few successful hunters. They thought it was us but unfortunately we had to set them straight. :)

hunter1947
04-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Shaun how was the turkey last night ????.

Hop you have some left over for your sandwiches today 8).

model88
04-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Wayne, turkey dinner was awsome. I couldnt believe how good it tasted and my kids just couldnt get enough. There was a little left for turkey sandwiches for work :smile: