PDA

View Full Version : Turkey-Week #1

300H&H
04-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Well we are underway with turkey season. So lets hear your stories. Good & not so good.

My first hunt, opening day. In my super, ultra secret hunny hole 3 guys (son/Dad/Gramps) were there. So I talked to them and they were going to my exact spot. Oh well first come, first served. I'll be MUCH earlyer next time. I set up in a spot where I shot my turkey 2 years ago. None of us saw any birds. Had a few call back but it was slow. Im back out Sat.

No Tag Soup Please
04-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Went for a horseback ride trying to get a colt some miles yesterday. Heard lots calling but couldnt find any in the bushes.

matt420
04-16-2009, 10:17 PM
went out on wednesday for my first time for turkey and for opening day didnt see anything in the moring but went back out and sat for a few hours callin every now and then no repsonse, then sat in piece and quiet for a while and gave a crow call and had a response, wow dose that ever get your heat beating fast haha....well i think im headin back out friday and saturday to the same spot maybe have more luck this time :)

open-sights
04-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Heading out on the 6th.

BlacktailStalker
04-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Jealous! Bag a bird !

Triggerman
04-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Just got back from the Koots.

Good thing we took Othmar's Turkey course. YOU CANNOT STALK THESE THINGS!!!

Anyway, drove around scouting a bit when we arrived on the 14th and then on the 15th morning got up at the crack of black and went to the place we thought was best with a friend who is a local hunter. Did some hiking and calling but nothing. Drove around some more, and spotted some on a side hill near some houses. Looked to close for comfort to blast 'em near the fence at the back of their yard, so we snuck up behind a hill on Crown land well away from all the houses and setup.

We went around and away and to the top of the hill that the Birds were at the bottom of and we set-up about 25 yards back from the crest of the hill on the flat top. There was some scrub, a big tree there and some cover for us so we put down a hen decoy and the local guy started calling - he's pretty good with that box call I thought as he clucked away....

My buddy and I were ready and waiting -as he has been down to the area twice in the last 2 years and still smelled like skunk, I let him have the first opportunity.

Within a minute of calling, a huge Tom came running up the hill to the call and spotted the Hen. Man, his head was blue!

As his concentration wavered from the Hen he looked around and saw us. My buddy went to shoot and flinched so hard his barrel raised up about a foot!! I started to chuckle when he finally clicked off the safety and blasted the bird.

It was a great shot and he chased the bird down the hill and recovered it and with a big smile he returned with his trophy

We saw a few more birds around, but on private land and the owners would not let us shoot one as they regarded them as "pets".

Anyway, lotsa birds around, put in some time and you may get lucky.....;)

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Turkey4.jpg

model88
04-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Nice tom Triggerman, congrats !! Sounds like a fun hunt.88

300H&H
04-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Way to go Triggerman. I know what you meen about the blue head. Now tell us what you did as far as the meat. I just took the breasts. I did try the legs but I would have a easier time chewing a stick.

mark
04-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Ill be heading out tomorrow morn, will report back in the eve!

Triggerman
04-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Meat Question..

The bird was plucked and then frozen for the trip home. My buddy said when he got back he cleaned it up a bit and froze it for consumption on the May long weekend.