PDA

View Full Version : Ticks

BlacktailStalker
04-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Just a heads up to people (especially on vancouver island) that this year seems to be really bad for ticks.

I've never had one on my dogs before but this year I've already pulled off 3 in the last week.
Just one off one of my hounds but two off my doberman (you'd think the hounds would be more likley to get them)
2 have been on the back of the neck right around the collar area and the other right high on the throat.

I've found a combination of off bug spray, left to soak for 5 mins then dosed with rubbing alcohol helps get the tick to release most of its grip and come off in one piece with needle nose pliers.

Dirty
04-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Just a heads up to people (especially on vancouver island) that this year seems to be really bad for ticks.

I've never had one on my dogs before but this year I've already pulled off 3 in the last week.
Just one off one of my hounds but two off my doberman (you'd think the hounds would be more likley to get them)
2 have been on the back of the neck right around the collar area and the other right high on the throat.

I've found a combination of off bug spray, left to soak for 5 mins then dosed with rubbing alcohol helps get the tick to release most of its grip and come off in one piece with needle nose pliers.

Did you see those little tick puller keychains posted on here? They look pretty slick. I used a set of tweezer to pull slowly by the head of a tick on my dog last year, and it released after a slow pull and twist. You might want to be careful about putting chemicals on the tick, it might puke up and cause infection.

BlacktailStalker
04-16-2009, 06:13 PM
No ? Do you have the link ?
I can never grab it close enought to the head with tweasers.. Guess you used needle point ones ?

mark
04-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Thats nothing, you should see the ticks up here, my worst day I had about 30 in 1 hour. You step off the pavement here and you got ticks!

BlacktailStalker
04-16-2009, 06:29 PM
lol so I read dosing them with stuff isn't a good idea, oh well, too late !

Dirty
04-16-2009, 06:39 PM
lol so I read dosing them with stuff isn't a good idea, oh well, too late !

Hey, it was posted on here by another member, I take no credit for finding the product.
http://www.tickkey.com/

I used really sharp, angled tweezers, got past the body to the head and slowly applied pressure with a gentle twist and out it came, head and all.

houndogger
04-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Andy I pulled a couple off the female pup about a month ago. Same back of the neck. Reminded me of being a kid again. Every hair cut I would have a tick or two:lol:

RJ
04-16-2009, 08:51 PM
wow those tick keys are slick

husky30-06
04-16-2009, 11:28 PM
hey guys..... i am trying to find someone that could pick these up. the company that sells them only really deals with business not private individuals....... when i know i will set up something to have them avaliable for purchase.... i got one from search and rescue when i was a member, but do not know anything about getting in touch witht he supplier...

Brambles
04-17-2009, 07:02 AM
no crap. Put my pants on in the AM and after a couple minutes I felt something crawling up my leg. I though it was an ant, pulled it out and Bingo, TICK. Don't know where it would of come from. They were clean pants and I had a shower before bed. I've been working on the shop in the back yard so thats the only place it could have come from.????

Yuck

Wild Images
04-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Hey Stalker
Go to the pet store or vets office and pickup the little green plastic tick pullers, they come in a 2-pack ( large & small )
They look lick tiny crowbars, Just slide along the skin and hook the tick spin counter clockwise and the tick is out, a little dab of peroxide to prevent infection and your done.

Hope this helps

BiG Boar
04-17-2009, 09:05 AM
ya up north of harrison they are bad too. 5 in one weekend for some people.

Rob
04-20-2009, 01:34 PM
How bad can the ticks affect your dog if gone unnoticed? Should I be checking my Lab everyday or just after hiking/walks? Great thread for a new dog owner. Rob

RJ
04-20-2009, 01:39 PM
their pretty bad, carry diseases and can cause infections. i check my dog every day just by petting him. usually during the tick season i use this stuff called revolution i think. once a month on the back of the neck and does fleas, ticks, heartworm and a few others, and its not too expensive.

http://www.revolution4dogs.com/

i just get a 6 month supply from the vet when he's in for his shots

SAVAGE300
04-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Ticks hang around the tops of plants for months waiting for something to grab as it comes by, apperently they have a good nose and this gets them excited and they stick there little arms out. most all ticks will dig in on somewhere high, the pits, shoulders, head area, soft areas. So far this year I have pulled 4 with very sharp angled tweezers, keeping the pull pressure just enough for the tick to let go, ussually 30 sec to a minute vasoline works well to.

rocksteady
04-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Just got out of the bushe, was looking at a potential broadcast burn for tomorrow, found one of the little beggards crawling up my neck, for higher ground.....

Screwed him over, I shaved my head yesterday (well not shaved but used the clippers with the #1 foot, so might as well be shaved).....

I hate those things, I have a few buried deeply in my scalp over the years.....

ruger#1
04-20-2009, 03:22 PM
I just bought two tick keys off of ebay with shipping included it was under $20.00 , Watch out for some of them they want $12.00 for the product and $29.00 for shipping. The place i bought mine from have eight available.

Doe Eyes
04-20-2009, 03:47 PM
I also use Revolution on my dogs...have not noticed a problem so far...no ticks and lots of time in the bush...

jrjonesy
04-20-2009, 04:13 PM
I use the Revolution too. Has a good reputation for being reliable.

husky30-06
04-20-2009, 10:39 PM
who on this site has a business that might be able to get a hold of the supplier for the "tickkey". they will only deal with a retailer as far as i know.

Pioneerman
04-20-2009, 11:05 PM
I can order them through my business, b ut if you checked the link of where you can buy them Gary Shewchuk in Sask sells them, you could just order a dozen yourself they are only $5 and I am sure others would want them too. Not realy worth setting up an account as a wholesaler from them for such a small item.

http://www.goodoutdoors.theshoppe.com/tick_key.html

husky30-06
04-20-2009, 11:17 PM
I can order them through my business, b ut if you checked the link of where you can buy them Gary Shewchuk in Sask sells them, you could just order a dozen yourself they are only $5 and I am sure others would want them too. Not realy worth setting up an account as a wholesaler from them for such a small item.

http://www.goodoutdoors.theshoppe.com/tick_key.html

thanks very much I will be trying to order about 12....

ruger#1
04-21-2009, 09:22 AM
I bought mine here , http://www.happydogplace.com/dogs/index.php?products_id=1235&cPath=38

Jagermeister
06-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Here's another tick removal process.

It is getting to be that season. Works for dogs and humans.
Golfers need to remember this one, too~

To Remove the entire TICK safely..........

Tick Removal Please forward to anyone with children, dogs, golfers .... or

hunters, etc!! thanks! A School Nurse has written the info below -- good

enough to share -- And it really works!!

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a

tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's sometimes

difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head

full of dark hair, etc. Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover

the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and let it stay on the repulsive

insect for a few seconds (15-20), after which the tick will come out on it's

own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique

has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much

less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging

In any way.