PDA

View Full Version : Black Bears????

Flawlessrider
04-15-2009, 01:41 PM
has any one seen any black bears out?

I am a relatively new hunter.....im just getting my grandpas gun back from the gunsmith....and I have a Black Bear tag!!!!

I am looking to spend 3-4 days and do a hunting trip with a buddy of mine. We live in Vancouver and are willing to drive anywhere within reason. Does anybody have any information on where we should go.... If we should go now.... should we wait a bit...etc.

Last year we did some hunting in the early part of the season in pemberton, but were unsuccessful, mind you we didnt know what we were doing. We dont really have anyone to learn from.....thats why im on here.....also if you are thinking about doing a black bear hunt pretty soon and you wouldnt mind a tagger on let me know.

Any information on Black Bears spring hunting would be greatly appreciated.

elkhunter1
04-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Pemberton is a great area got to go 40 k in pemberton valey towards meger cr.
Lots of bears. a bit too early yet.
Good luck.

Dirty
04-15-2009, 02:12 PM
My brother and I were first time bear hunters last year. We drove around a lot of area. And found area where there was lots of old shit, and then found areas where there was lots of new shit. We noticed that for the most part, in the area we were hunting, most of the new shit was around the same elevation. We also noticed that the new shit was confined to small general areas. We then started focusing on those areas and began seeing bears. If you don't see them right away, go explore and come back later. They will be there sooner or later. We found that the late morning, and early evening were the best time to see bears. Bears are like teenagers, most don't like to get up early in the morning. Go out explore, see new areas, to me hunting bears is most fun hunting.

PressurePoint
04-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Pssst, the island is good for bear, but why pay for a ferry when you dont have to. Bear are everywhere

RiverBoatFantasy
04-15-2009, 07:50 PM
That sounds like a lot of shit.

If it looks like bear shit, smells like bear shit, and tastes like bear shit, it must be bear shit!

My brother and I were first time bear hunters last year. We drove around a lot of area. And found area where there was lots of old shit, and then found areas where there was lots of new shit. We noticed that for the most part, in the area we were hunting, most of the new shit was around the same elevation. We also noticed that the new shit was confined to small general areas. We then started focusing on those areas and began seeing bears. If you don't see them right away, go explore and come back later. They will be there sooner or later. We found that the late morning, and early evening were the best time to see bears. Bears are like teenagers, most don't like to get up early in the morning. Go out explore, see new areas, to me hunting bears is most fun hunting.

Dad and son
04-16-2009, 12:00 AM
It is generally too early for Bear hunting right now. Bears will mostly be eating green grass right now. You need to find areas with green grass either beside a logging road or in a clear cut. That is where the bears will be. Generally the south side of a hill/mountain gets more sun and hence more green grass sooner so look on the south facing hills

Mr. Dean
04-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Very little green in the areas I looked. There's promise but I'd say a couple more weeks yet, pending on where ya hunt.

BiG Boar
04-16-2009, 06:58 AM
find green grass and sh*t on the roads. There you will find bears. Usually eating the grass. If you want a fun weekend, head anywhere on vancouver island, north side. You will find big bears there. Probably see three a day just driving about. Once you know where there is crap on the road, either mark it on your gps or on your back roads mapbook, the next time you come to that area, walk through it really slow, and listen. Usually they will hear your truck or quad coming and dart into the woods. So mark it down and come back later.

troutseeker
04-16-2009, 09:05 AM
I saw a smallish balck bear while I was fishing the Kettle river a couple of days ago. He was too busy foraging to even look at me!

Wildfoot
04-16-2009, 10:49 PM
i think i will head out tomorrow evening to see if there has been any bear activity around my place. A friend of mine has been hiking around all spring and has not seen any sign yet.

Still some snow around, especially on the north and west facing slopes

pinebushman
04-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Hope to see a couple this weekend. Going fishing but I think I will take the /06 along just in case I chance into one. :eek:

Sure would give the little guy a thrill!

Will update if I see anything.;-)

hunter1947
04-17-2009, 05:59 AM
There starting to show them selfs ,I have seen 3 to this date the biggest one about 4 K from my home ,saw it yesterday on the side of the road eating grass at 10.30am.

Bushman
04-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Saw the first two bears yesterday at 12:05 and 2:15 p.m. One was a smallish black bear and the other was a very big, beautiful dark chocolate to black in color. The .45-70 guide gun will be in the bush with me today.

cuervosail
04-17-2009, 07:55 AM
I saw three yesterday in 8-11.

madtrapper85
04-18-2009, 01:06 AM
i decided to head out in region 2. didn't see any bears but one set of tracks in the snow around 7 inches across and a butt load of dear. One decided to come up from behind and run along side my truck for about 50 yards while i tried to grab my video camera. i was close enough to me that while i was driving i had my window open and i could have rubbed its back

Wildfoot
04-18-2009, 03:00 PM
went out shooting today. killed some gongs at 200 and 300 yards with the .22 and .303. still too much snow in the hills. no bear tracks or sign anywhere. probably valley bottom would have a few hanging around the farms already.

358win
04-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Gate keeper reports of two down in Nanaimo today, my nephew is one of them. Waiting for story & pictures.
Wayne. If you need help preserving the grass up there, give me a shout : )

BlacktailStalker
04-18-2009, 04:23 PM
I've treed 3 bears to date and seen 5.

Surrey Boy
04-18-2009, 07:06 PM
I too keep a 12ga w/ slugs when I fish. Great bear-banger + if I'm in season and tags why not?

Marc
04-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Pssst, the island is good for bear, but why pay for a ferry when you dont have to. Bear are everywhere

This is true, but the Island also has it's own subspecies of bear that are referred to as: "biggesnogginus" :lol:. They tend to be larger then the mainland bears and most times they are all jet black with the odd patch of white on the chest. They also have a milk mustache on some of them.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3Bear_grey_mouth.jpg

The island is probably also several weeks ahead as far as greening up goes compared to the mainland and like you've said there is no shortage of bears. Seems only fair to have the mainland hunters come over to shoot our bears as all the Island "baby eaters" are heading to the mainland come fall to fill the freezer. :mrgreen:

358win
04-18-2009, 08:23 PM
If there's room in the freezer from the big Bear here :smile:

adamgarbett
04-19-2009, 12:16 PM
nice bear.....from this year????

Marc
04-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Sorry, that bear was taken in Nanaimo lakes in 2004, just wanted to show the milk mustache they have on the Island.

Tikka270wsm
04-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Saw my first bear of the year out Shawn Div today. About a two hundred pounder, good meat bear. Only shot that I would have had was a Texas heartshot, so just let him run. Good sign of things to come though. Along the sides of the road the grass is getting thicker and lotsa skunk cabbage in the swamps. Couple more weeks should start seeing more bears and the roads should have less snow. Ran into about two feet of the packed soggy stuff at M & S junction where all tracks just stopped. A couple of warm, rainy days would help.