PDA

View Full Version : Rubber raft

Trapper
04-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Looking to buy a rubber raft for when i go moose hunting up dease lk. i need some info on what i should be looking for,some good name brands? what type floor? and what other advice you may have.
thanks Steve

SHACK
04-14-2009, 07:34 PM
I gues it depends on how large you want it to be, and how much you want to spend. Ive used these for fishing and they have been great little boats, plenty enough for floating good sized water and carrying a moderate load.

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/default.aspx?id=19

srupp
04-14-2009, 07:53 PM
trapper..LOL I just have spent the past MONTH dealing with this very issue...and hav already made the dozen or so phone calls..

send me a PM with a ph # and I will give ya a shout..

cheers
Steven

ultramagbob
04-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Airies rafts are probably some of the best

Goliath
04-14-2009, 08:13 PM
This is a very open ended question, but here's a few basics:

Material: HYPALON (material) is best. Tougher and easier to care for than PVC, but it's much more expensive. PVC shouldn't be left in the sun for extended periods of time.
Bottom: Rigid bottom (ie. fiberglass) is great for jetboating, but it isn't portable like a fold up. Soft bottoms (wood or aluminum floor boards) are light and compact and have tremendous capacity.
Oars: This is a MUST HAVE for any float trip. Paddles are useless. If the boat you buy doesn't have them...install the best oars you can buy.
Brands: Polaris (made in Langley), Zodiac, Archilles, and Nouvrania.

If you buy new, a good 12.5' Hypalon boat with wooden floor and oars will set you back more than you'll believe...but will last you a lifetime if you look after it. One of my Zodiacs will be 41 years old this year and still floats like a cork.

Used boats can sometimes be bought pretty cheap if you spend the time searching. :p

lip_ripper00
04-14-2009, 09:02 PM
This is a very open ended question, but here's a few basics:

Material: HYPALON (material) is best. Tougher and easier to care for than PVC, but it's much more expensive. PVC shouldn't be left in the sun for extended periods of time.
Bottom: Rigid bottom (ie. fiberglass) is great for jetboating, but it isn't portable like a fold up. Soft bottoms (wood or aluminum floor boards) are light and compact and have tremendous capacity.
Oars: This is a MUST HAVE for any float trip. Paddles are useless. If the boat you buy doesn't have them...install the best oars you can buy.
Brands: Polaris (made in Langley), Zodiac, Archilles, and Nouvrania.

If you buy new, a good 12.5' Hypalon boat with wooden floor and oars will set you back more than you'll believe...but will last you a lifetime if you look after it. One of my Zodiacs will be 41 years old this year and still floats like a cork.

Used boats can sometimes be bought pretty cheap if you spend the time searching. :p

Some of the best info right their;),I have a 10' Zodiac, plywood floor rolls up 3'x3'x1' weights about 70 lbs carring capacity is 1100 lbs great boat, I don't know how many 100's of pounds of moose I have floated down the Parsnip over the years. Buy quality and it will last you well.

Trapper
04-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your replys,i now have a better understanding of what i should be looking for.
and thanks Steven for your phone call last night.and the pm's i received.
greatly appreciated