PDA

View Full Version : Camp Trails Packs

quackquackbang
04-14-2009, 06:34 PM
was looking at the Camp Trails Elk Pack and am wondering if anyone here has this pack or has any info on them. Good or Bad????? Thanks

Deaddog
04-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Camp trails frames have been good to us in the past, however stay away from the elk pack bag, they will fall apart in no time even with a moderate load, the moose bag seems to stay together much better. If you are using the pack for the odd trip you will be fine for years, if you are getting serious about backpack hunting and like the frame pack, look at the barneys packs, same design as the camp trails but much better quality and of course much more money. DD

troutseeker
04-14-2009, 11:25 PM
I've got a Mosse pack and so does my buddy. They are solid and roomy packs.

Troutseeker

kootenayelkslayer
04-14-2009, 11:33 PM
I used the Camp Trails Moose pack for years of elk hunting and some sheep hunting. I still use the frame sometimes. Considering they are relatively cheap, I thought it was an awesome pack for the money. Nothing fancy about it, but it does seem to last pretty well.

pmj
04-15-2009, 12:37 AM
I have the moose pack. The frame gets a little shaky at 70lbs +. I would be reluctant to try more than 85 lbs in it. I have used it for alpine trips and it was fine for me. With 70 lbs I find it tends to be rather heavy on the hips. I got it because of the price, the alpine use and it will hold lots of meat to carry out that moose. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
I would suggest you put in some water filled milk jugs and juice bottles to carry around the neighbourhood to get it adjusted right for you.
I have a Kirafu Gunbearer on it for my rifle.

adriaticum
12-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Just bought this pack (Camp Trails Moose Pack) on sale for $129.00. 71L
They still have a few at Skyview Outdoors right now.

http://skyview.myshopify.com/products/eureka-moose-hunting-pack

Elk Pack also on sale

http://skyview.myshopify.com/products/eureka-elk-hunting-pack

12-11-2013, 12:54 PM
I used the Camp Trails Moose pack for years of elk hunting and some sheep hunting. I still use the frame sometimes. Considering they are relatively cheap, I thought it was an awesome pack for the money. Nothing fancy about it, but it does seem to last pretty well.

I used a Camp Trails Osprey 80 for when i guided. That was back in the mid 1990s. it has since been replaced by other packs, but is still in good shape. It packed some very heavy loads in its day and never failed.

Brno22F
01-10-2014, 12:32 AM
My brother, my oldest son and I did a mule deer hunt in the Chilcotin this fall. It was a 4 day backpack affair. Brother had a brand new Camp Trails Elk bag from Skyview Sports. He loves it. Lots of room for all his gear. Good padded shoulder and waist straps. We got to try it out as a pack board too. We downed a nice 4x4 mulie 2 days into the trip so the bag came off the frame and the deer was packed out. We strapped it to the pack board with a nice diamond hitch. Each half was 70 pounds or so.
I picked one up for my son for his birthday coming up end of this month. Before I bought it, I did chat with the lady at Skyview about the differences between the Elk and Moose packs. Elk bag is a quieter fabric and has an external pocket on the front. Moose bag is heavy nylon fabric so if you are concerned about noise, it may not be your cuppa tea. However, she was up front and said that the Moose bag was more durable. I don't think that there is much difference in the frames.
They are both good packs with lots of room. I love the external frame and easy to detach bag. The price is really good too. If you quote the price from their ad in the hunting regs, the Elk bag plus frame is $129.
There is a lot of other stuff out there from other manufacturers. Some of it crazy expensive. In my opinion, if you are looking at a Camp Trails elk or moose pack, you will get a solid durable pack for a fair price.

canadianyoda
01-10-2014, 01:17 PM
I have two of the camptrails freighter frames. One is used to pack meat and I have packed out moose quarters with it. The other is with one of the 1980's camptrails omega packs. neither one has let me down. 70 lb pack coming down on a goat hunt once. the external frame gives a little extra movement. I use my osprey pack and now a usmc ilbe pack for mountains. both are internal. heavy packs and movement on steep narrow trails are not cool. i used the omega a few years back on the bowrons and it is still my goto pack for canoe tripping and portaging.

hunter1993ap
01-10-2014, 01:25 PM
I just retired my camp trails frame. it handles big weight, I've bent all the pins the frame and it still hauls great. just had enough of pins jabbing me in the back. it was fairy comfy but weight is weight. it was pretty loud hiking in the bush but if you wear it enough it becomes part of you, and you can keep the branches from rubbing on it. it also squeaks and creaks.

Moose Guide
01-10-2014, 01:55 PM
I have used a Taymor freighter frame and moose bag(same as Camp trails) for over 20 years including 7 years of guiding, and it has never let me down although it is looking pretty well used!!!

trail blazer
01-10-2014, 05:34 PM
my camp trails pack has been on six two week sheep hunts and a few deer hunts and has never let me down. I hear mystery ranch packs are excellent if you have a thousand dollars to spare.

hunter1993ap
01-10-2014, 05:43 PM
my camp trails pack has been on six two week sheep hunts and a few deer hunts and has never let me down. I hear mystery ranch packs are excellent if you have a thousand dollars to spare.

that's what I just jumped on, I will do a review next year on what I think the difference is. . considering I got my camp trails from a garage sale for 5 bucks I hope my mystery ranch holds up with the hype. there are a couple for sale on this site right now that will save you guys some good coin.

warnniklz
01-10-2014, 06:23 PM
H93... how long did you have yours before you retired it? What kind of outings were you taking it on.

Bought an eberlestock Dragonfly J107 back in mid september. I had it start to blow apart on me by november. On that note though... it's the coyote tan and I read somewhere that there was a defect with the coyote tan fabric. I just gotta get my shit together and send it back. So I'm looking at other packs in the mean time to see what direction I want to go.

Got my sights set on a Mystery Ranch pack at the moment...

RackStar
02-19-2016, 11:53 PM
I was thinking of buying this bag, I don't have 1000 for a barney right now, and need a pack frame.
I hate buying things in the half way price point because im always looking at the better one. so I will settle on a cheaper one for now because it wont hurt when I upgrade. seems like decent reviews...
can anyone compare this to a alps commander? or a cabelas Alaskan? which one would you guys get..
thanks.

Weatherby Fan
02-20-2016, 12:35 AM
I've had both Camp Trails/moose bag and Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter and the Cabelas was better built and more comfortable.

RackStar
02-20-2016, 12:37 AM
thanks for your input man.

happy trails.

bogie
07-08-2016, 10:45 AM
I am just about to list a Moose pack. Its new unused. Bought it for a hunt last year that got rained out and the guy I was hunting with has medical problems now so its not something I want to keep. Just checking up pricing for it now. The Moose Pack was recommended to me as well. I can be reached at pboegel@shaw.ca. I am not receiving emails from this site lately so email is best.

Moe.JKU
07-08-2016, 11:25 AM
I have the camp trails elk pack, packed out a front and rear quarter of a moose last year, while my friend used his cart for the other two. I wasn't any more sore and what i would expect after hauling a moose out.

bogie
07-14-2016, 05:38 PM
Not sure if I emailed you but I have a new unused Camp Trails Moose Pack. They are not being shipped up to Canada anymore. Interested"
This site is not forwarding responses for my ads so please reply to pboegel@shaw.ca

warbird2006
08-20-2016, 01:26 PM
I have the camp trails elk pack, packed out a front and rear quarter of a moose last year, while my friend used his cart for the other two. I wasn't any more sore and what i would expect after hauling a moose out.

Hi Moe
Could you send me picture of your Elk Pack. I bought one used but for some reason the L-shaped bottom piece of the frame does not hold horizontaly, I may be missing a piece or s strap.
my email is 1945blackhawk@gmail.com
Thanks a lot