PDA

View Full Version : My new Bow...

mcrae
04-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Well guys I have a question for you.

I bought a 2006 Bowtech Tribute here on HBC not that long ago from a fellow member for a good price. We had a bit of an oops and a bow that I thought was a 60# bow actually ended up being a 50# bow. Nobodies fault just an oops but it has left me wondering....

The bow is shooting well and a dream to shoot but at 50# I have a little :?: In the back of my mind. I have this nagging doubt about a 50# bow. Originally I had settled for a 60# bow as a min but being as I ended up with a 50# bow I have had to reevaluate it a bit. My previous bow was a BowTech Tomkat at 72lbs and I never had an issue shooting it or hunting with it.

My question to you experienced bowhunters is basically should I get something with a higher poundage or is 50# going to be enough for a hunting bow. My primary quarry is going to be black bear and whitetail deer but I also have elk hunting 10 minutes from home so they are in the future as well. I really do like this bow and I love the fact its so easy to hold and shoot at 50# but...

I am not a long range shooter I set my own limit at 30 yards its just my comfort level so speed isn't really a big selling point for me anyways. Just looking for advice on the 50# aspect for a do it all hunting bow. Everywhere you look guys have the bows set up for 65# plus so I was thinking there might be something to it:biggrin:...

oldtimer
04-14-2009, 01:06 PM
in my opinion 50# is more than adeqate especially if you have arrows built for your poundage. There is a reason the hunting regs set 40# as the minimum. With what you state as your preferred quarry and you set yardage limit I don't think you will have any issues. my 2 cents. Mike

Ron.C
04-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I shoot a Bowtech Allegiance with a 27" draw length at 56 pounds. I have yet to have anything but a pass through with it. I am now hunting bear with it and am 100% confident it will do the job. I would have to say the same thing for your 50# bow.

Use quality fixed blade broadheads, keep them razor sharp and focus on shot placement and you should be absolutely fine.

mcrae
04-14-2009, 01:30 PM
I shoot a Bowtech Allegiance with a 27" draw length at 56 pounds. I have yet to have anything but a pass through with it. I am now hunting bear with it and am 100% confident it will do the job. I would have to say the same thing for your 50# bow.

Use quality fixed blade broadheads, keep them razor sharp and focus on shot placement and you should be absolutely fine.

I shoot a 29 inch draw and I have it maxed out at 52lbs according to Ken at P&R archery. He assured me as well I would be okay but its still nice to hear it again:smile:..

I have 100 grain SlickTricks shooting to my field points point of impact. I have taken a couple of black bears with archery gear so I have a tiny bit of experience but its nice to hear from other guys.

MichaelB
04-14-2009, 01:46 PM
A well placed shot should be fine with 50lbs.
I shoot a 72lbs. bow and it makes me feel good to have the extra "oomph" but I realize it isn't always necessary. Some of my hunting partners in Texas have pass throughs on some big hogs with 50lbs. and they're pretty tough critters. If the lighter weight makes you shoot better than I'd say it's well worth it to shoot a lighter bow. However if you are hunting cape buffalo I"d say you need more...
Just make sure the arrow grain matches the bow.

MB

Sitkaspruce
04-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I used to shoot and hunt with my Hoyt set at 57 lbs and it would shoot between 265 and 270 fps with a 29" draw and 100 gr Montecs. Most animals in BC are not going to know the difference between 50, 60 or even 70 lbs if you place the shot in the right place.

And the other great thing to a lower # bow, you can shoot longer and still use your shoulder after...:-P;)

Good luck with the bow and your hunt

Cheers

SS

mcrae
04-14-2009, 04:29 PM
I used to shoot and hunt with my Hoyt set at 57 lbs and it would shoot between 265 and 270 fps with a 29" draw and 100 gr Montecs. Most animals in BC are not going to know the difference between 50, 60 or even 70 lbs if you place the shot in the right place.

And the other great thing to a lower # bow, you can shoot longer and still use your shoulder after...:-P;)

Cheers

SS

I agree 100% with the shoot longer part of it. I practice in my yard pretty much nightly and I can shoot allot more arrows at 50# than I ever did at 70#.

mcrae
04-14-2009, 04:32 PM

Cheers

SS

Having heard from some of you guys on HBC that its a decent set up I am not concerned at all anymore. To be honest this Tribute is one sweet little bow and I enjoy shooting it allot. Its going to be hard for me to pick up a rifle this year.:biggrin:

Bow Walker
04-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Addicting - isn't it?

mcrae
04-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Addicting - isn't it?

Yes it is. I was hooked a couple of years ago but the last couple years I have been busy with my little guy. Now that he is 2.5 things are less chaotic and the bug is back:biggrin:...My 11 year old daughter also wants to start flinging arrows...

Panda
04-19-2009, 04:36 PM
speed thrills, accuracy kills!

huntwriter
04-19-2009, 05:18 PM
speed thrills, accuracy kills!

That right there sums it up nicely. Short and factual.:wink: