PDA

View Full Version : grizzly in 4-1

toyotacowboy
04-14-2009, 10:17 AM
anyone know the conditions in the flathead right now? what kind of populations are in there? got my draw good until june 1.any info would be much appriciated thanks

toyotacowboy
04-14-2009, 10:34 AM
so may longish? im soooo stoked!!! gonna take the bow with some back up if im seeing many.if not just rifle

RiverBoatFantasy
04-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Well if you are thinking you will do it with a bow you'd best be bringing toilet paper, spare underwear, and lots of gauze to seal your wounds - just in case it turns ugly on you;)

Hate to see a boy get hurt.

Hate to see a griz get away wounded.

mcrae
04-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Gonna have to agree with RiverBoat on this one unless you have a ton of archery experience and a ton of bear hunting experience stick with the rifle...

riflebuilder
04-14-2009, 03:53 PM
put the arrow in the right spot it will kill a griz, just be patcient and only take the shot if it is a perfect set up and you will nail both lungs. If it is what you want to do go for it and have a great time. I always carry a shotgun down my back when bow hunting big bears. Best stopping power under 30 yds.

toyotacowboy
04-14-2009, 04:11 PM
i have a ton of expeirence with both. just thaught i would enjoy the trophy that much more with the bow.thank you for the concern tho.always wanted a grizz with the bow and then to get drawn:eek: i will only try if conditions are right.if not i will use the rifle.Either way it will be right behind me

mcrae
04-14-2009, 04:24 PM
i have a ton of expeirence with both. just thaught i would enjoy the trophy that much more with the bow.thank you for the concern tho.always wanted a grizz with the bow and then to get drawn:eek: i will only try if conditions are right.if not i will use the rifle.Either way it will be right behind me

Then go for it with the bow:biggrin:. Would be a hell of a trophy for sure. I use an Eberlstock pack myself and the rifle will be close by when hunting bears this spring with the bow...I have a 375 Ruger down my back for bears...

toyotacowboy
04-14-2009, 04:33 PM
i just dont have the urge to shoot them with the rifle anymore.wayyyy more fun with the bow.even with a blown stalk on a blacky feels good

mcrae
04-14-2009, 04:42 PM
i just dont have the urge to shoot them with the rifle anymore.wayyyy more fun with the bow.even with a blown stalk on a blacky feels good

I hear ya 100% archery for me as well with black bears. I have not had a crack at grizz yet so I doubt I would use my bow for the first one. Hunting black bears with archery gear is tons of fun and in 4-1 you should get a crack at them as well when looking for a grizz...

hunter1947
04-14-2009, 04:45 PM
All you need is someone with lots of back up fire power then go in with you and your partner and get this Griz with your bow.

Just make sure your buddy can shoot straight and fast if the table turns bad for you ,good luck ,as for the back road excess head in after the long weekend of May http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

toyotacowboy
04-14-2009, 04:52 PM
thanks boys...i trust him;-) the pics will fly if i am sucessful...if not the bs hunting stories will:-P

boxhitch
04-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Why wait til May long ? Floors may be white but the slopes will be bare sooner. Catch em when the minimum of feed is exposed.

catwelder
04-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Wait till the later part of may for sure in that area as the outfitter usually punches the road in by then.

toyotacowboy
04-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Wait till the later part of may for sure in that area as the outfitter usually punches the road in by then.

thats what i was kinda thinking being a guide

leadpillproductions
04-14-2009, 05:32 PM
where do you guide

toyotacowboy
04-14-2009, 05:49 PM
region 3 and 7

Manglinmike
04-14-2009, 08:35 PM
A good hunting buddy of mine just called me at 5 and he had just left the hiway at Morssiey to head into the flathead, the snow is only a couple hundred yards from the road.I know that the Harvey Pass is not normally plowed ,and you have to go in from way up river and then down the Lodgepole road. I haven't been in there for several years but when I hunted that area it was full of bears ,somewhere I have some pics of a 7-6 blonde that my uncle shot up noseeum draw, I'll try and find them and post just to get you buzzzzzinn !!!