PDA

View Full Version : Big Bull on the Halfway

bridger
04-14-2009, 08:16 AM
It was cold that November morning as we sat on our horses overlooking the breaks above the Halfway River. The faint glow in the east was forcing back the darkness; bringing with it a promise of a new day. In the distance coyotes were serenading the new day; signalling the end of the nights hunt.

My good friend Al Stebing and his son Adam and my son Dan and I sat our horses quietly taking in the moment. Each lost in his own thoughts about the coming day. We were hunting mule deer and at the same time keeping an eye out for a couple of big bull moose Al had seen some months before.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/al_and_bull.jpeg

(Al and the antlers from the huge bull)
“Rich, I saw two monster bulls last week,” Al said over the phone. “I was down on the Halfway flats below the ranch and rode right up on two big bulls. The biggest one was huge. He had tremendous palms and a long drop point on his left antler. He had to be over 60 inches wide with lots of points and awesome front ends. I know he’d go well up in the record book. The other bull was also a big and probably a Booner as well. We should have a look for them this fall when they head to winter range along the river.” Little did either of us anticipate the awesome outcome of this casual conversation!

I was thinking back on that conversation when Al broke the silence. “Rich let’s head down the breaks onto the flat along the river,” he said quietly. “If those bulls are around, they may be closer to the river.”

An hour later I could see Al waving me over with a huge grin on his face. The story was there in the snow. Two big bulls had come down off the breaks and were heading down river.

The flat was fairly open, dotted with scattered poplar trees and a few scrub willows, giving good visibility for about 200 yards.

We quietly discussed the best way to proceed. Al had punched his tag on a bull earlier in the season and Adam was too young to have his own tag. Dan at 12 years old had his first tag, but had no experience moose hunting. If these were by chance the bulls Al had seen the previous winter they were real trophies and we didn’t want to screw up on what could be a rare opportunity to bag a record book bull. We decided Al would keep the boys with him and slowly head down river following the tracks. I would stay slightly off to one side watching ahead hoping to spot the bulls.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/big_bull.jpeg

(packed up and heading back to the ranch)

A sense of anticipation was growing in me as we rode slowly followed the tracks. We had gone about a mile when Al suddenly jerked his horse to a halt and yelled, “Wow! Look at that bull—he’s a world record! Shoot ‘im, Rich, Shoot ‘im.”

I wasted no time bailing off my horse and dragging my 25/06 out of the scabbard. I ran twenty yards through some willows to get a better look down the flat. Al was off his horse now, pointing excitedly across the flat. I broke into the opening and I saw a huge bull getting out of his bed barely 100 yards away. My first impression was antlers—that was all I could see. The bull was so awesome I froze momentarily and just looked at him.

“Shoot ‘im, shoot ‘im,” Al yelled again, unable to contain his excitement as the bull broke for the river. Regaining my composure I shot quickly as the bull passed between two poplar trees. I saw the bullet strike right behind his shoulder and knew the shot had been good. The bull turned and ran straight away from us not offering another shot. He ran about fifty yards then stopped his huge head weaving side to side. His antlers were unreal. I again just stood there looking at them, unable to get my brain into action. Suddenly the bull turned and again began running to the river. A loud “Shoot that sucker” in my left ear kicked me into action and a second shot piled him up.

As we walked closer it was obvious that this was a huge bull. No ground shrinkage this time. The antlers were wide with tremendous palms and lots of points. Truly this was a bull of a lifetime.

“Rich, look at this!” exclaimed Al, pointing to a big drop point on the left antler. “It’s got to be the same bull I saw last winter!” We high fived and danced around for several minutes then walked back to get our horses. It was then after searching my saddle bags and day pack that the mental image of my camera still laying on the seat of my pickup in Al’s yard flashed through my mind. Damn one of the few times I had ever left my camera behind and it had to be today. We admired the bull and speculated on the width of this antlers and just how much he would score. One thing for sure; neither of us had ever seen a bull that would equal this one.

With the excitement over, we dressed the bull and hung the quarters and antlers in a tree. We would return the next day with pack horses. We mounted up and started back up river when suddenly Al stopped his horse. He turned toward me with a smile on his face. “Look over there across the river on the gravel bar,” he said. I pulled up along side him. There on the gravel bar, contentedly chewing his cud with not a care in the world lay the other bull. While the smaller of the two, he was still a tremendous bull. Close to 60 inches wide with great palms; he was also a record head. This was mid November and the Halfway had shore ice running about 20 feet from shore and the open channel was filling with flowing ice making crossing it impossible. We had to pass on the bull. He watched casually as we rode by heading up river. What a day this had been!

As I had gotten the bull on the last day of moose season, I phoned our local Conservation Officer, later that evening for permission to pack him out the next day. After describing the bull and giving him the exact location and the details of how we were going to retrieve the carcass he gave me the go ahead.

I pulled into Al’s yard shortly after daylight the next morning, anxious to get going. “Rich,” Al asked, as we headed down the breaks, “I’m sure that bull will go high in the records. Did you bring a tape?”

“I’ve got a 60 inch I one in my pocket,” I replied.” that should do.” “Doubt it will be big enough,” Al grinned swinging into his saddle and gathering up the lead rope on his pack horse.

When we got to the bull, I couldn’t wait any longer. I took the antlers down from the tree and ran the tape across the spread. My 60-inch tape was short! “Are you sure that tape is 60 inches?” Al questioned. “Positive,” I replied.

We loaded the quarters on our two pack horses and top packed the tremendous antlers, threw a tight diamond and headed up the breaks.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/al_sue_and_big_bull.jpeg

(Al & Sue admire the rack)

An hour later we were back at the ranch and Al got a longer tape. “Sixty-three and a half inches!” he practically shouted as he stretched it out. “What a bull.”

With Al’s wife, Sue, recording the measurement, I green scored the antlers. “What’s the total?” I asked as Sue finished the addition.

“227 6/8ths,” she replied, handing me the score sheet. “Impossible” I exclaimed. “It can’t be that big!” “That score will put it right at the top of the Boone and Crockett Records,” I said hardly able to believe it. We added the score up again. Same result. Al and I just looked at each other. Both experienced hunters we knew that we had taken one of the greatest moose ever recorded.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Buffalo_hunt_049.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12593&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=10914)

(antlers on display at backcountry)

Sixty days later the antlers officially scored 226 6/8ths Boone and Crockett points making it the second largest Canada Moose ever recorded. Now, over 30 years later that great head still ranks #8 in the all time Boone & Crockett record book.

Although I pulled the trigger and punched my tag my success was due to the generosity of a great friend. I am forever grateful.

ultramagbob
04-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Rich..Love your stories.You and George should write a book of short stories

bigwhiteys
04-14-2009, 08:20 AM
That is the Moose hanging in Backcountry in FSJ is it not...?

Carl

bridger
04-14-2009, 08:26 AM
That is the Moose hanging in Backcountry in FSJ is it not...?

Carl

Yes it is the one!

GoatGuy
04-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Rich..Love your stories.You and George should write a book of short stories

I've been bugging him about that a while. Wait until he writes the story about sheep from the 70s. :lol:

Steeleco
04-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Great story, the old pictures are pretty cool to.

BCrams
04-14-2009, 08:32 AM
I've been bugging him about that a while. Wait until he writes the story about sheep from the 70s. :lol:

X 2 ....... have mentioned it a couple times to him as well to write more stories and put them in a book. Far better stories than some of the ones I've seen published.

BiG Boar
04-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Wow, what a great story. Not to long winded which makes it much better. You sure did go on some amazing adventures. One day I would love to go on one of these crazy hunts! Just awsome man.

kennyj
04-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Awesome story and photos Bridger.Thanks for sharing another one of your great hunts.
kenny

BlacktailStalker
04-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Couldn't have ended my morning in a better way, thanks !!
Congrats on that bull.

Elkhound
04-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Excellent post......one of the best ever.

Angel
04-14-2009, 09:25 AM
that was a great read. i would love to hear a few more if you have them. let me know where to read them or post away:smile:

Clint_S
04-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Nice, thanks!
Keep em coming.

daycort
04-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Yes, bridger you can sure spin a good yarn. Are you still publishing your little magazine?? That had some good stories in it as well.

The Hermit
04-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Excellent but one question... who the hell "yells" like that when your hunting and that close to your quarry? LOL This one made my morning too! Cheers

kootenayelkslayer
04-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Great story, great bull! It's an honour to share your name with you good sir. :D

Mik
04-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Excellent read, that is some great country up there. Thanks for sharing.Mik

vanislehunter1
04-14-2009, 12:25 PM
man, that's a beast! great story!!

PGK
04-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I guess that just outright kills the need for a magnum :lol:

Great read bridger, thx

mcrae
04-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Yup a great story for sure.

quackquackbang
04-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Awsome story!!! and man thats a nice moose!!!:eek:

PGK
04-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Oh hey bridger, was it heavy? :lol:

bigben
04-14-2009, 12:52 PM
When live was simple and the pleasures of hunting was a blessing ........beautiful story to a tremendous animal of a lifetime.........I wish that I could turn time back to those days that time has forgotten ......... thanxs for sharing this moose story it was awesome

one-shot-wonder
04-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks for sharing Rich!
Sure gets the blood flowing......sure like the ol' time pics and stories, keep 'em coming!

d6dan
04-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Excellent story Bridger. always look forward to your stories... keep them a coming.

Dirty
04-14-2009, 01:12 PM
I guess that just outright kills the need for a magnum :lol:

Great read bridger, thx

No this is a case from before game in BC evolved to be immune to non-magnum calibres. Seeing that evolution now plagues us with enhanced hide armour, and alloy bones, we must use calibres with magnum suffixes, to make sure that our quarry is efficiently and humanely dispatched.

sawmill
04-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Man you sure write a mean story,loved it and great moose!

Rob
04-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Well written! I also would like to read more if you have some. Thanks, Rob

MichaelB
04-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah wow, great story. Thanks for sharing.

hunter1947
04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Very nice bull and great write up Bridger ,love the older pic of the hardware ,thanks for posting the story and pic ;-).

frenchbar
04-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Like everybody else says .Exellent story and trip bridger!!

Maverick
04-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Great story Bridger. I Like the others would like to see it in print. More importantly thanks for sharing that special memory with us. That's what it's all about.

Gateholio
04-14-2009, 05:53 PM
I put off reading this thread until today, when I was at work with the high speed...

WOW.

Once again, another great story and pictures. CRAZY moose.:eek:

yama49
04-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Great story Bridger. I Like the others would like to see it in print. More importantly thanks for sharing that special memory with us. That's what it's all about.

X2 awesome awesome storys.....

Goliath
04-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Wow, sweet story.

I'll be up in FSJ at the end of the week and you can bet I'll stop into Backcountry to check it out!

arcadia
04-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks for sharing that awesome story. I hope my son and I can those type of adventures some day.

God bless

Rattler
04-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Great story! You are one heck of a story teller...

A giant bull for sure.

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Manglinmike
04-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Well my man you can spin an awesome yarn! Its great when a man can get out and have an experience like that and then also be able to pen that said experience with the same skill level used in the field, your story was an absolute pleasure to read and I thank you for taking the time to compile it for are hungry eyes to read

Deadshot
04-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Although I pulled the trigger and punched my tag my success was due to the generosity of a great friend. I am forever grateful.
That's what hunting is all about!
Your a lucky fellow! Congrats!
Kudo's for having it on display for all to see.

BigBanger
04-14-2009, 11:29 PM
That was a good read, thanks .

nerka992003
10-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Love those old pictures !

bear buster
10-06-2009, 10:12 PM
The story matches the bull, awsome.

showtimebc
10-06-2009, 10:16 PM
now that is a bull moose!! congrats!!!

hillclimber
10-07-2009, 07:15 AM
awesome story bridger and i am still speachless about the moose. that thing is huge.

cheers
stefan

10-07-2009, 12:29 PM
What a great story, and it was told very well! I like the fact that you shot him with a 25-06. There is no replacement for shot placement!

Jamiko
09-04-2013, 09:10 PM
wow amesome bull and story!! - just found this 2009 post in a related search..... worth a bump to top!

Whonnock Boy
09-04-2013, 10:48 PM
That's a gooder... Both story and bull. Thanks for the bump.

trigger
09-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Awesome story. What a bull. Thanks for sharing.

Abashai
09-05-2013, 08:28 AM
WOW incredible moose and a great story! Thanks for the bump

MacMtnHunter
09-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Love those old stories and photos! Congrats on such an awesome experience!

pescado
09-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Great read, great story, great Moose. Made my morning, thanks.

fester
09-05-2013, 12:26 PM
great story!!!!!!!

alpinetreker
09-05-2013, 06:38 PM
This reminds me of the stories my brother has told me about my Dad hunting chetwynd way back in the day. what an awesome memory. I would love to find the old picks and share them with you all. Thanks