PDA

View Full Version : whipsaw creek

yukon john
04-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey guys I wanted to start some scouting up whipsaw next weekend I know the will be snow but can you get a truck up there? I have good tires and chains. Has anyone been up there this year or at this time of year previously? Thanks for any info YJ

MichelD
04-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Check BC4x4.com

That place is one of their most popular place for "runs."

http://www.bc4x4.com/

Maxx
04-13-2009, 09:54 PM
I was there this past friday sledding, lots of snow up high, and the main road is not plowed past 5km mark....I would wait for some warmer weather,

Jason Melo
04-13-2009, 10:12 PM
ok just got one question here ive heard that there is elk up there in whipsaw is this true?????

Lone Ranger
04-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Depending on how far you want to make it up, but usually the horse camp at 25 km is clear by May but beyond that is anyone's guess until the ATV/4x4 guys break the trail and thats usually summer (end of June). There are TONS of other FSRs in the area that net some good deer without going that high.

Just remember to watch how far up you hunt on the Whipsaw trail because a bit of it technically is in Manning Park (no hunting). 1000s on km's of logging roads around there though. I'm not 100% on elk but there are whiteys and muleys, bear and moose in the area (and cougars - 2 legged and 4 legged!). LR

Camp Cook
04-13-2009, 11:23 PM
I just drove by on Sunday afternoon the snow level is fairly high there but I there is still a lot of snow.

ufishifish2
04-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Yes, there are Elk up the Whipsaw, but not lots. I worked up there during all of last years hunting season. Didn't see many.

hunter1947
04-14-2009, 06:25 AM
I have seen elk up in the back end of the whipsaw ,there are not lots.

I also saw elk up in the back end of Friday creek ,this going back about 5 years ago.

Leaseman
04-14-2009, 07:07 AM
If this year is like any average year (not!), you will be at least another month to drive very far in there.... fairly high country.... we don't as a rule try heading in there until at least the end of May.....

ChrisL
04-14-2009, 07:09 AM
It'd be really hard to make it up there at this time of year. We go every September. We tried once on the May long weekend. Spent the entire time exploring around Arrastra creek.

I've seen elk up there a few times, but all of them were on the Coalmont side.

Chris.