PDA

View Full Version : Custom Made Balsa Floats

Dirty
04-13-2009, 08:09 PM
A few months ago I posted a thread looking for balsa wood to make some custom floats. Thanks to a generous HBC member I did a little horse trading a ended up with some quality balsa wood. We finally got our shit together and got the stuff we needed to start turning some of this balsa in to custom drift fishing floats. After a little messing around here are some of the floats. These are just the beginning and I expect the quality to become second to none when we get everything dialed in. These guys are just after painting, and the sticks and inserts still need to be trimmed and clear coats added, but you will get the idea.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/Ovisdallistonei/DSC_1032.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/Ovisdallistonei/DSC_1033.jpg

Dirt the Perp, with the hottest floats in the valley thanks to an unnamed HBC member.

scallywag
04-13-2009, 08:11 PM
nice work. do you have your own lathe?

Dirty
04-13-2009, 08:13 PM
I share all the tools to make the floats with my brothers. We all bought in on it, so that the cost would be lower to get started and we could all start making our own floats. So yes, we have our own lathe. :grin:

ElkMasterC
04-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Those look nice, Dirty, good job.
I heard Balsa lumber is hard to come by, so you really lucked out. ;-)

ultramagbob
04-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Those look nice, Dirty, good job.
I heard Balsa lumber is hard to come by, so you really lucked out. ;-)

I heard what he had to do for it....Aint worth it at any price

Browningmirage
04-13-2009, 08:49 PM
I am guessing you are kidding about the balsa. Bought a 6 foot true 2*6 board that I have been making into balsa floats. Cost me something like 10-20$ or so at Windsor plywood. Dont know how that compares to what you guys have experienced, but I only had to make 2-4 floats to make it worthwhile.

problem with Balsa is that its so soft and you have to be gentle when turning it.

Dirty
04-13-2009, 08:54 PM
I am guessing you are kidding about the balsa. Bought a 6 foot true 2*6 board that I have been making into balsa floats. Cost me something like 10-20$ or so at Windsor plywood. Dont know how that compares to what you guys have experienced, but I only had to make 2-4 floats to make it worthwhile.

problem with Balsa is that its so soft and you have to be gentle when turning it.

Try getting it now, believe me I looked around for it. We haven't had any problems while turning it. Maybe you got subpar quality balsa that was cut in an unsustainable and uncertified manner?:biggrin:

Fisher-Dude
04-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Try getting it now, believe me I looked around for it. We haven't had any problems while turning it. Maybe you got subpar quality balsa that was cut in an unsustainable and uncertified manner?:biggrin:

That balsa forest will NEVER regrow.

I heard UMB found a good bobber down at the Drake.

ElkMasterC
04-13-2009, 10:34 PM

Call them today. See what they have.

Leaseman
04-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Nice looking floats Dirty....congrats on a great job....;-)