PDA

View Full Version : Marshall's Grampy was a Dual Champion & Master Hunter

Marc
04-13-2009, 05:12 PM
This is kind of cool. I was looking back on Marshall's Pedigree and didn't realize that Marshall's grand dad on his mothers side was a Master Hunter and a Dual Champion ( Champion of Show & American Field Trial Champion) in the States. Did a bit of searching on Google and found this video clip of him.

I know all Chesapeake bay retrievers sort of look the same but to those of you who've hunted over Marshall is there not an uncanny resemblance and behavior that reminds you of Marshall?

Here is a short video of him,

Dual Ch. AFC Sunday's Rufwater Canvasback MH "Canvas"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=71748948353843632

lip_ripper00
04-13-2009, 06:59 PM
This is kind of cool. I was looking back on Marshall's Pedigree and didn't realize that Marshall's grand dad on his mothers side was a Master Hunter and a Dual Champion ( Champion of Show & American Field Trial Champion) in the States. Did a bit of searching on Google and found this video clip of him.

I know all Chesapeake bay retrievers sort of look the same but to those of you who've hunted over Marshall is there not an uncanny resemblance and behavior that reminds you of Marshall?

Here is a short video of him,

Dual Ch. AFC Sunday's Rufwater Canvasback MH "Canvas"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=71748948353843632

Another proud parent!:biggrin: I was tired just watching, cool vid.

branthunter
04-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Looks like Marshall comes from a strong line Marc. Seeing that video of his Granddaddy "Canvas" reminds me of my days training Jake. He has championship level natural ability at marking, retrieving, and following scent ,and endless drive, and I had him to the point where he could do everything you see Canvas do in the video, and more (he has his Junior and one leg of the Senior), but I let it go when we got Jessy . Those skills of stopping to whistle, backs and overs, and following a long straight line to mark really make a retriever much more useful and Jake still retains enough of it to follow those commands in a rough and ready way afield but I really have to get Jessy up to speed (and maybe polish Jake up a bit too) because she has all the same natural talent Jake has and seeing the video resurrects my guilty feelings for not giving her as much training as I did Jake (and that she deserves). I think I'll resolve to make that my summer project so thanks for the post and the reminder.

Marc
04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
No problem Brant hunter,

Watching this video has put the training bug back into me now that the bird season is over until next fall.

I was just looking at the pedigree again and wouldn't you know it Marshall's great grand father DC AFC GAMBLER’S DILWYN-STACKED DECK MH "Deck" was an AKC Dual Champion and Master Hunter as well, and Marshall's great great grand father CAROWAY’S GAMBLER MH "Gambler" was a Master Hunter :eek:. Those are some pretty big shoes to fill I think. Baby steps... :mrgreen:. I'm sure the dog has the talent the question is am I good enough to guide and harness it. Time will tell I guess.

Sasquatch
04-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Man, can that dog hit the brakes on the whistle. A pretty sight to watch for sure.

branthunter
04-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Master is a real tough test and takes a lot of training. I doubt I'd ever have the time or patience to get a dog of mine that far but any dog that gets that far is a very capable retriever.

Jimbo
04-14-2009, 07:09 PM
All our dogs will look like that when we finish Bopper's seminar. :biggrin:

robostone
04-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Wow, that is awesome. We have really high hopes for Morgan after seeing all this. Morgan is also from Hightides and is now in sunny Manitoba

Islandeer
04-21-2009, 10:22 AM
You nailed it Marc, you have more than enough dog. Remember,your dog can only be expected to be as presise as you are.

We just came off of a 4 day Evan Graham Transition seminar. Wow!!

Amazing stuff, Marc nail your basics and follow his program, you can't eat an elephant in one night.

Our pups, Rosie and Sage, got 2 legs of their JH 2 weeks ago.

Cheers, Ian

Islandeer
04-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Some older pics.

Elkhound
04-21-2009, 11:34 AM
very cool Marc......I have a book on elkhounds from Norway that have a bunch of hunting champions listed in it and a lot of them were all Loki's relatives as the breeder got his dogs there. very cool to find this stuff.