PDA

View Full Version : North Thompson River

doubled
04-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Well, as usual, we head up to Barriere for turkey dinner on the Easter weekend. Yearly tradition that I love as it is usually the first time out not on ice.

Friday, we hit one of our usual spots for some bar fishing R&R style. Lawn chairs, sandy beach, rye and coke, sunglasses. Ahhhh, the makings of a good day.

Turned out really sunny but the wind picked up pretty good making it difficult to bar fish. Lost one right away but that was about it. Got a decent sunburn on my face and neck.

Saturday, we hit a more popular spot amongst the locals (21 people there at one time). We were there early so we got the prime real estate. The day started slow with wind and clouds coming in.

The old man finally landed one - approx 18 inch bull trout and I thought to myself, I am never going to hear the end of it. Suddenly my rod starts to dance in the rod holder and I thought, WTH, the current doesn't move it that much. I grab the rod and immediately, line starts tearing out. It felt a lot bigger than it ended up being but nonetheless, this 20 inch'er had me on the scoreboard. I rigged up and threw my gear out again and not ten minutes later, the same thing happens so I grab my rod again and pull back. Right away, I knew this fish was bigger and realized that I may be into something that I have been dreaming about for the last few months. After a couple of decent runs, I wind him in for a quick pic and send him off on his way to reproduce.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/doubled66/IMG_1866.jpg

There were only two other bows caught while we were there and they were around the 20 inch range so it was slow fishing but it sure was great to get out on open water again.

horshur
04-12-2009, 11:19 PM
that is a nice Rainbow I have not caught one as nice but fish higher up than barrier..took me a bit to figure where your mom lives but if I am right she is by the bridge? I have caught dollies as big and bigger however.

doubled
04-13-2009, 08:53 AM
You are right horshur. That is where my parents live. I have caught much bigger ones than that in previous years.

Leaseman
04-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Nice fish Derek..... looks the same size of some of our sturgeon of late....:biggrin:

muleyman
04-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Another Kamloops Lake rainbow coming up to spawn they have always provided us guys lots of entertainment nice fish Derek.